Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 05:06 PM
JimC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentruck
A 20 gr 17 cal bullet on a 110lb bear??? Why would anyone do that with a 30-06 at hand. I'm sorry if this offends you, but in my opinion there was a severe lack of ethics in this decision. I've never shot at anything to see if my gun was big enough to do the job.
Well said.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:35 PM
Hutt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A few of you sound holyer than thou. Common, fess up. We know you must of done something stupid but just will never admit it.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:03 AM
stevebly
Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Rather than chiming in with my opinion on what the HMR was used for, I'll just say this about the bear problem:

I don't need to use special trash bins to keep animals out of my garbage, so if one had got into it, it's my fault.
I would've went face to face with it (.44 on waist - Just in case it gets too aggressive) and scared it off without any harm being done. As for a little brawling, I personally wouldn't mind... But I'd probably shoot if its' anger seemed out of place.

My .22c on the HMR:
Regardless of having a backup rifle and partner, I still would've used a larger caliber to put it down. What I wouldn't have done is test my HMR on a living thing just to see if it works like I'd like it to.... Even if you were a expert marksman, things go wrong and Murphy just seems to be more popular these days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2004, 02:39 AM
OKsubaru

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to OKsubaru
man... no comment.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:49 AM
JimC

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutt
A few of you sound holyer than thou. Common, fess up. We know you must of done something stupid but just will never admit it.
Possibly, but never when it involved the taking of a life of a living creature just to see if you can.
Irresponsible also comes to mind.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:00 AM
Qaz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stevebly,
you say "As for a little brawling, I personally wouldn't mind..." That little bear would thrash your %%%%% if he wanted to, with no problem I have seen big boar coons that could dish out all you would want to take. A bear is in a different class, he is a professional fighter!

Everyone else: Whether Flyrc was right or wrong in his actions is always debateable depending on how you view it. Things like this will always happen and will never stop. I am glad he had the foresight to have a backup gun ready just in case. Had something gone terribly wrong, he may not have been able to post this thread.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:43 AM
dipodomys

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tks

Thanks for the thread FLYRC. If you ever break your stuff stirring paddle, I have some good timber on my place to whittle you a new one from. You wouldn't rag someone like the swifties did with Kerry just to see how high he could jump, Would you???
Old 10-02-2004, 12:20 AM
jra

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Shot Placement, Shot Placement, Shot Placement ! Yes It was a risky shot maybe unethical But I don't like bears, They do have their rightful place in nature and I don't think slaughter is right ,but its easier to shoot one and deal with it than Mother in Law spread evenly over the back yard . As a side note - It has been documeted that a large bear was killed with a .22 in Aklaska. a matter of self preservation. Also and Elephant in Africa With a .22 ,the hit was behind the front leg in the soft skin as the beast stepped forward It was a CLOSE range hit. Jack rabbits aint nothin but I've taken them with a .177 ( 600fps) air rifle at 25 yds. Head shots don't move far. Shot Placement
Old 10-02-2004, 03:22 AM
TeePee
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to TeePee
To even try to take an animal as large as a bear even at 110lbs with a 17hmr is "BS". WHY TRY!!!! WITH a 30-06 as a backup more "BS". If you think you need a larger caliber for backup then your first choice just to see if YOU could do it is just "BS"!! USE THE 06!!! IF this is offencive to bad. May the whole GUN THING GO TO HELLLLLL because of the likes of this. Sorry but just makes me very angery. JUST DON"T and if you do keep it to yourself.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:56 AM
RWAL

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Sounds to me like you knew what you were doing. People tell me my .17 Rem
centerfire is too small for anything but varmits, I know what it can do and it still surprises me. In the last year we have had continous multiple sightings of mountain lions in our area, they are reproducing fast and going into the small towns and eating pet food. Game Fish and Parks says don't harm them. They are clueless. How long will it be until someones kid gets attacked? Wild predators and humans don't mix.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:55 AM
Mr GAP
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
RWAL,

I lived in Texas for a while when I got out of the Air Force (1981). I lived on the edge of Burkburnett, Tx. Every night coyote`s would come into the ally and get into the garbage cans. The dogs would keep me up half the night barking at the
coyote`s . At the time I have for a gun an old Navy Colt black powder 6 shooter that I used as a prop in a photographic business I was part of.

One day as I was coming from work. I was getting towards evening. Sun just about to set I saw 5 or 6 coyote`s crossing the road in front of me. They were most likely headed for their nightly feast in the ally behind my house.

I had the gun loaded and sitting on the front seat. I jammed on the brakes grabed the gun , jumped out of the car and started firing at the coyote`s. I fired six shots from this single action pistol never hitting anything but the ground around the coyote`s. I did make one jump about 2 or 3 feet into the air. If at that time I had a .17 hmr I would have used that.

I would have killed everyone of those coyote`s if I could have.

With people moving right in the territory of animals like mountain lions, coyote`s and other predators there have been kids that have been killed and it will happen again.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:50 AM
tnwalker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anti-hunting crowd.

Regardless of where you stand on this issue the ant-hunting/gun crowd could use this thread as fodder to srenghten thieir position. $.02
Old 10-02-2004, 11:08 AM
jra

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very , Very true and varmits they are.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:08 AM
RWAL

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The funny thing is that this is not an area where people are moving in on the wildlife. My family has been here for 125 years and I never heard mention of anyone seeing mountain lions until recently. I supect someone is releasing them although I can't prove it. Of course these big cats are harmless, just ask Sigfreid and Roy Ha Ha. When Roy stumbled on stage the killer instinct in that predator sensed weakness and attacked. If a child gets scared and runs from one of these cats what do you suppose its reaction could be? Anyway it is a little creepy night fishing down at the river and wondering just what is watching you.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:20 PM
David C.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't doubt anyone's sincerity on this thread. But I don't think we have a thing to worry about w/any anti-hunting groups, peta types, etc, over a 1-shot quick kill with a 30-06 back-up. I work in a big city with all kinds of folks. I can't imagine anybody calling for flyrc's head and the end to all hunting when he bagged a dangerous animal with one shot. Peta types don't know what .17 hmr is. They just know in the right hands, a bear can be killed in one shot with it (if they read this thread).
David
Closed Thread