Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:23 PM
stumper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
.17 wsm suppressed

What cans are you guys running on your ,17 WSM? Anyone running an Element II?
Old 02-21-2016, 05:49 PM
Jeremy B
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 17 WSM isn't worth putting a suppressor on. Did AAC state that they will allow the use of the Element II on 17 WSM and still honor the warranty? I think I would want something rated for 5.7 x 28 or 22 Hornet to put on the 17 WSM
Old 02-21-2016, 07:57 PM
Specter23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I put my Spectre II on my 17 Hornet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2016, 09:00 AM
stumper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy B View Post
My 17 WSM isn't worth putting a suppressor on. Did AAC state that they will allow the use of the Element II on 17 WSM and still honor the warranty? I think I would want something rated for 5.7 x 28 or 22 Hornet to put on the 17 WSM
Why would it not be worth suppressing?
Old 02-24-2016, 09:46 AM
Jeremy B

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The $100+ to have the barrel cut down and threaded. I am sure it would need to be cut down because I doubt the regular Bmag barrel will provide adaquate shoulder at the barrels end.

Then there is the fact that the silencer can't reduce the sonic crack. My 17 Hornet will not likely see a silencer either
Old 02-24-2016, 12:29 PM
stumper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The $100+ to have the barrel cut down and threaded. I am sure it would need to be cut down because I doubt the regular Bmag barrel will provide adaquate shoulder at the barrels end.

Then there is the fact that the silencer can't reduce the sonic crack. My 17 Hornet will not likely see a silencer either
Sonic crack doesn't happen at the gun. Coyotes have no idea where the shooter is and often will run right at them if they hear it.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:54 PM
Steve in IN

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It actually does happen at the gun, but where you, or a coyote, are when you hear it may change your perception of where it came from. The "crack" is at the gun, but since the bullet is continuing to be supersonic, it's continuing to make the sonic "boom" if there were a bunch of ears scattered about to hear it. Depending on where you, or the coyote, are, and some distance from the rifle, you'll hear the crack, the boom, then the report from the rifle.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:13 PM
Jeremy B

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumper View Post
Sonic crack doesn't happen at the gun. Coyotes have no idea where the shooter is and often will run right at them if they hear it.
They might do that without a silencer if you are far enough away or shooting into the wind

And with the 17 WSM and 17 Hornet the supersonic bullet likely makes more noise than the uncontrolled gas from the barrel. I can notice the difference easily when shooting 308 and 223 suppressed versus unsuppressed but a lot more of the noise is from the gas escaping the barrel

I haven't noticed any manufacturer advertising their suppressor rated for 17 WSM or 17 Hornet although most rated for 5.7 x 28 should work. The slinky barrel on my BMag makes my decision easier as something that weighed even 8 oz would cause POI issues

What part of South Dakota are you in? My brother lived in Clark County for 8 years
Old 02-25-2016, 10:03 PM
Maine04657

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Ok first as soon as the bullet is in the air travailing at supersonic speed at sea level you get a sonic boom. Next you nor any animal can tell where a suppressed firearm is shooting from as the sound form the firearm itself is not perceptible for the most part do to the sonic boom itself. The sonic boom is generated BEHIND the bullet ( or any object going faster then the speed of sound) during the entire time it is traveling supersonic thus the bullet will impact before the sound gets to the target. If there is another animal in the area they will hear the sonic boom AFTER the bullet passes there location OR by a echo off a solid abject thus negating the possibility of finding the source. I am in Maine and spend the majority of my time in the field hunting yotes. I have had groups stand still or barely move when a fellow pack member is dropped yards from them when hunting with a can something that is almost unheard of when not using a can.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:36 PM
glocker17
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
And with the 17 WSM and 17 Hornet the supersonic bullet likely makes more noise than the uncontrolled gas from the barrel.
I just threaded a 22 Hornet , and it is much nicer now. Doesn't really have much more report than the 22WMR with the same can.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:40 PM
stumper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
They might do that without a silencer if you are far enough away or shooting into the wind

And with the 17 WSM and 17 Hornet the supersonic bullet likely makes more noise than the uncontrolled gas from the barrel. I can notice the difference easily when shooting 308 and 223 suppressed versus unsuppressed but a lot more of the noise is from the gas escaping the barrel

I haven't noticed any manufacturer advertising their suppressor rated for 17 WSM or 17 Hornet although most rated for 5.7 x 28 should work. The slinky barrel on my BMag makes my decision easier as something that weighed even 8 oz would cause POI issues

What part of South Dakota are you in? My brother lived in Clark County for 8 years
Mitchell area. Been here pretty much all my life. LOVE that Clark county area, but its county commissioners can go fly a kite. I'm leaning more towards the Ruger than the Bmag. I don't think mine is suitable to be used as a fence post.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:12 AM
Maine04657

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glocker17 View Post
I just threaded a 22 Hornet , and it is much nicer now. Doesn't really have much more report than the 22WMR with the same can.

Nice..
Old 02-26-2016, 05:06 PM
Jeremy B

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Quote:
Mitchell area. Been here pretty much all my life. LOVE that Clark county area, but its county commissioners can go fly a kite. I'm leaning more towards the Ruger than the Bmag. I don't think mine is suitable to be used as a fence post.
But for the price of a Ruger in 17 WSM you could have a CZ 527 in 17 Hornet. If you reload the 17 Hornet is an easy choice, if you don't the 17 Hornet ammo is more than twice as much for 50

Closest I got to Mitchell was fishing on Lake Thompson
Old 02-26-2016, 10:14 PM
GasDoc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If I was serious about suppressing 17 WSM I'd just get the F17 rifle with a factory threaded barrel. But that's some serious dough for a zippy rimfire rifle that's not all that quiet.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:13 PM
stumper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
But for the price of a Ruger in 17 WSM you could have a CZ 527 in 17 Hornet. If you reload the 17 Hornet is an easy choice, if you don't the 17 Hornet ammo is more than twice as much for 50

Closest I got to Mitchell was fishing on Lake Thompson
will probably have the .17 hornet as well by the time I am done.