Bowling Pins!! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:10 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thumbs up Bowling Pins!!

I assume bowling pins must be generally thought of as center fire targets. But the gun club and range I belong to has a bowling pin shoot every other Monday evening. At the end of the a quarter (3 months) our club shoots against a sister range/club; the top three in each class.

I shoot .22, pins on the back edge of the table - 6 of them. The 9mm, .38/.357 and .40s; 5 pins in about a foot or 14 in.s from the back edge of a 4' wide piece of plywood on saw horses. And the .45s, 5 pins, about another foot more towards the front of the 4'x8' plywood. The pins are evenly spaced down the 8 ft. length of the plywood sheet.

Three rounds and the fastest time in each class and lowest aggregate times for 3 rounds are kept for score. We have one guy shooting a .40 that can take 5 pins off the table [0h, yeah, 29 feet away] in a bit over 2.5 seconds more often than not. His fastest is down around 2 seconds. What a hoot!

I just started [aka got hooked] about 3 months ago. It is a real fun game. I wouldn't have thought a .22 would knock over a bowling pin, but a center hit will knock it right over. With the centerfires and the .22s once in a while, pins often get knocked over but not off the table. And then more shots are required to get them off the table. Timing starts with the first shot, and ends when the last pin hits the floor. 34 second time limit and the RSO will blow a cease fire.

.22s are allowed 10 rounds in their magazines with an extra mag. Most all .22s are 10 rounds..

VH :Oman:

The center fires are allowed 8 rounds in the first magazine, and then up to 17 rounds or so for standard high capacity mags for the second magazine.

4 or 5 seconds is about average for most the shooters. Some a little faster. The new shooters, me included, will have good runs a little faster, and not so good runs, a little slower. It is fun to watch new shooters start out having trouble hitting the pins, and within a few weeks start knocking them over and getting their times down. Open sights and red dots are allowed. Some fellows shoot revolvers and do well. A friend shoots a S&W 9-shot 9 mm revolver and does very good. Six pins in 6 shots in 4-5 seconds or a bit less. I may practice up a little with my Smith and try it out as well. A shooter is allowed to shoot two calibers if he /she wants to. There are 4 or 5 gals that shoot; and about 20-25 total on an average night.

Anybody else out there shoot pins?

Last edited by varmit hunter67; 04-10-2015 at 10:11 AM. Reason: edit
Old 04-10-2015, 11:05 AM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Our club shoots bowling pins, but for the .22's they cut off the tops of the pins and use them, so they aren't hard to knock off the table. It does make a much smaller target, but it is the most popular pin-shooting contest they have.

≡✪≡
Old 04-11-2015, 05:10 PM
deadhorse
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Where I shoot pins its a run what ya brung type of thing where open 1911's with 14rnd mags and red dots and 6" slides and custom loaded lead nosed ammo only traveling 650fps dominate. But some guys do very well with Glock 21's h&k USP's and some use a 357 mag or 38 special with heavy 180 grain bullets and some use a 38 super and do very well. But for the most part 45's dominate, no time limit each 5 pins and first one to get all 5 pins off the table wins, double elimination, names are put in a hat, and its a whole lot of fun.
Me personally i knew and know I could never compete with these guys and there 4,000 dollar rigs and 100's of thousands of rounds of training, So when i first started going to the pin shoot it was for self defense practice with my Glock 23 40s&w and i did pretty well most would say for using a 40 and a 4" barrel. over the years i took everything to the pin shoot 2" ruger sp101 in 357 mag 5 shots, a 41 mag taurus tracker 5 shot in 4" barrel, beretta 92fs in 9mm, glock 19 in 9mm, a laseraim 45 (LOL) and many many more, i did it because of the pressure i was under with the whistle blow the guy shooting next to you and it just seemed to be a better way to train and i would even pull my pistol from my conceal carry or hip holsters instead of gun made ready hands on bench etc. It is a whole lot of fun to go and compete to win, but it can also be a valuable training tool putting you under some pressure to train in a self defense type situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2015, 06:17 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've seen some bowling pins made for rimfires, in Gander Mtn. IIRC, about half the size of regulation pins. Not sure who makes them, or if they are made the same as the others.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:18 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have been using my Medalist with the heaviest barrel weight and a red dot. I hot glue the centers of 3 small paper plates to a 3' length of cardboard and put it on the hanger and practice on them. Same distance away, but the plates are closer together. It is fun to try to get the rhythm and quickly move one to the next and back again. I can burn up a lot of .22 ammo in a short session.

I took my Beretta 92G with me 2 days ago for a little practice with it. I shot pins with it one night, but was missing about as good as hitting. I spent some time on form and grip on the 92 and really improved my performance on a oblong bull 4 inches high and 2-3 inches wide.

I think I will put another day or two of practice on it and take it back for another try at the pins. I agree with what Deadhorse said, it is a good way to shoot multiple targets under a little stress.
VH
Old 04-27-2015, 08:05 PM
Eidolon
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Been a while but when I did bowling pins shoots I used a Lars Grizzly .45 Win Mag.
Six shots. Six pins off a 36" table.
Bad *** gun. Probably my favorite.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:39 PM
Jory45acp

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
We've shot some pin matches at the club and I've seen everything under the sun used from .22's to .50cal Desert Eagles. I've learned if it goes bang someone will bring it sooner or later.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:12 PM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
We shoot 'em at 25 and 50 yards w/ 22 pistols, just gotta knock 'em over. We shoot 'em off hand at 50 and 100 with rifles, and from a bench at 200 yards with rifles (and the occasional contender or charger). Again, just gotta knock 'em over.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:50 AM
swo1
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We shoot pins in Head-to-Head matches, double eliemation. Losers in the first round go to the losers bracket and the winner there shoots against the winner of the winners bracket for 1st place, best two out of three tables.

We shoot .22 pistols at Pin tops, minor caliber center fires up to 10MM, and Major caliber, .38 Super and .45 acp. Pin tops (5" high) are shot 1' off back edge of a 4' wide table, minors are center of the table, and major 1' off front edge. First table with all 5 pins on the GROUND wins and advances. As stated the .45s rule the majors, about anything in the minors. All MUST be shot with iron sights. Pins are 16" apart. 10rd mags for .22 and 8 for center fire. Second Mag can be any size. But if you have to go to second mag YOU HAVE LOST. Distance for all is 25'.

I shoot all RIA guns a .38 revolver in Minors and .38 Super and .45 acp in majors. A Smith 22A1 for pin tops.

Its so popular I will put in a dedicated Pin range this Winter.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:50 AM
noremf
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Distance?

I shot centerfire bowling pin matches for decades. Loved it.

Unless I missed something, what was the distance to the Pins in your shoots?

noremf(George)

Last edited by noremf; 07-06-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:27 AM
photoracer
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Our club has been shooting bowling pins for at least 2 decades. Centerfire is 3 pins spaced on the lower shelf and 2 on a shelf above spaced out slightly. Rimfire is 5 pins on the lower shelf, 8" from the back. I use the same ultra-lightweight Browning or Ruger I built for shooting Steel Challenge. You don't really want a heavy gun for pins as it slows down the transitions. Unless you are shooting some kind of high power centerfire load and even then you should shoot something with a muzzle brake or comp on the end of the barrel. My personal best in the unlimited rimfire category is 2.7s and 3.5s with rimfire iron sights. Our shooting distance is around 10 yards and under and we shoot only full sized pins. I have done 2.0s in practice before.