Old 05-14-2015, 03:34 PM
HuggleMonster

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
HuggleMonster

How tightly can you squeeze the bag?

One reason I like the Bald Eagle is that with those high mounted clamping screws, along with the low hinged flaps, it gives you a large range of pressure choices as well as allowing many sized stocks to fit.

When I looked at the Sinclair I couldn't see how to do that. Seems to be nicer than the Bald Eagle other than that. Not sure it works any better, but definitely nicely machined and styled.

Smooth
There will be adjustments and/or modifications to making something your own(whatever it may be). In this case I haven't received it yet but when I do I will do my part and let everyone know how it does(hoping it does well).
Old 05-15-2015, 06:47 AM
HuggleMonster

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Looks like they either took it down or they're sold out
Old 05-15-2015, 11:43 AM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Did you get yours ordered?

If you did, when you receive it let us know how it works out for you.

smooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2015, 12:13 PM
HuggleMonster

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Did you get yours ordered?

If you did, when you receive it let us know how it works out for you.

smooth
I will. I'm curious myself as to what to expect. Buds sometimes does have surprises so I'm going in with a Hope for the best and expect the worst attitude. Really curious as to why they took it down. If it was sold out, it still would have been there but without an option to buy......so we'll see. My order is already in the "Preparing to ship" stage. Keep you guys updated.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:29 PM
cbnky
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Yet another input...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmont View Post
I stopped by Advance Auto and picked up a package of carburetor studs.
I also used the carburetor studs. I did find the flat end of the stud seemed to create a somewhat jerky movement during windage adjustment.

To get an 'almost perfectly' ground point, you can chuck the stud (chuck teeth on the unthreaded portion), clamp a file to a flat surface, and hold the stud at the appropriate angle and use the drill to grind the point.

Operation is much smoother now.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:08 PM
hoagiejoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
HuggleMonster

How tightly can you squeeze the bag?

One reason I like the Bald Eagle is that with those high mounted clamping screws, along with the low hinged flaps, it gives you a large range of pressure choices as well as allowing many sized stocks to fit.

When I looked at the Sinclair I couldn't see how to do that. Seems to be nicer than the Bald Eagle other than that. Not sure it works any better, but definitely nicely machined and styled.

Smooth

Here is another solution to getting in a good squeeze:
http://www.drgreenlawmachining.com/a...ag_windage_top
I will likely buy one for my Caldwell base. The price is 265 with bags. Here is an image of it fully collapsed (taen from the Greenlaw site):

Those Sinclair rests seem to be a tremendous value. They are on sale for 600 on the Sinclair site and whichever top you choose, the other is available separately. I'd love ot get one of those too!
Old 05-16-2015, 07:37 PM
Smoothtrigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well first of all that top is pretty cool. It could very well eliminate having to swap bags.

The similarities to the Bald Eagle top are very obvious.
One wonders who was first.

I'm thinking that this one is an improved version of the Bald Eagle.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 05-18-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:16 PM
hoagiejoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Well first of all that top is pretty cool. It could very well eliminate having to swap bags.

The similarities to the Bald Eagle top arevery obvious.
One wonders who was first.

I'm thinking that this one is an improved version of the Bald Eagle.

Smooth
I just ordered one today. It should be done in about 5 weeks, after which I'll report back.

I think it also is similar to the Randolph Machine adjustable top, which has 3 separate bags and the outside plates can adjust over the bottom bag. The Randolph is a little cleaner looking but may not be as easily adjustable...and likely only works on the Randolph base (which seems to be held in high regard)!
Old 05-18-2015, 06:16 PM
Smoothtrigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll be looking for your report.

Smooth
Old 05-18-2015, 06:32 PM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoagiejoe View Post
I just ordered one today. It should be done in about 5 weeks, after which I'll report back.

I think it also is similar to the Randolph Machine adjustable top, which has 3 separate bags and the outside plates can adjust over the bottom bag. The Randolph is a little cleaner looking but may not be as easily adjustable...and likely only works on the Randolph base (which seems to be held in high regard)!
Just for your info...

I've owned both the Greenlaw adjustable as shown above and the adjustable Randolph tops. They both work basically the same. I just prefer the Greenlaw model a bit more. You can actually convert the Greenlaw top to fit the Randolph. I think Dan Greenlaw will do it for you if you wish. The way he does it is to drill two holes through the base of the top and then attach it to the Randolph. Works great. But...it negates one big positive of the Randolph base. The ability to swap tops quickly. You can get around this if you choose. I made a new base that attached to the Greenlaw top and it then could be installed on the Randolph in the same manner as the regular tops.

If anyone wants more info on how to do this, let me know. My solution was about redneck as redneck can get, but it worked great.

All of these rests are good rests. And every rest I've owned has had little things I liked and disliked. One thing I've found is the more you spend, the better the rest. But for most people, the high end rests are just flare. For competition use is where you might want to spend the big bucks to get those extra few x's.

This Bald Eagle rest looks nice. Good price too if you can still get them. Don't own one, but then, don't need one.

Kenny