Squirrel Hunters! The Tree Kind! - Page 3461 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:16 AM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)

I've mentioned before that I have had so much trouble with the old Eley hm2 ammo but no trouble with Hornady or CCI. In its day the Eley was the ticket but no more for me. 22 man I doubt you will have the splits with the new ammo. I have 3 hm2 rifles, 2 I built and a TC R55 and none split cases with new ammo.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:22 AM
SARGE
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Yep, that 17hm2 is a great little round, but there always seemed to be problems with cracked cases. I had cracked cases with new eley back when I had an hm2.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:42 PM
darkdave.32
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
75% (2)
After buying two different rifles chambered in the Mach2 (Savage and a Marlin) and trying several different brands of ammo, I came out with basically the same results as 22man. I will stick to the good ol'e .22lr for my squirrel hunting needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 07:55 AM
JG26_Irish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
17 mach2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22 man View Post
First off let me say I am laughing my arse off at all of the HM2 horders of the last five year. I am also laughing at the fact that they are sitting on cases of Eley that they will find out is now junk, but they want a price that is 200% over what they gave for it. I saw the writing on the wall and sold both of my Anschutz 1502 and 1702 and picked up a Savage MK II HB SS for $250. I also unloaded two cases of ammo at a very fair price So for the most part I usually never MISS a squirrel while hunting may shoot a nose off on occasion that takes a second shot or may hit in the neck back of where I am shooting.But never a clean miss. So the last hunt with the Savage the other day I clean missed two squirrels I did eventually kill them but flat out misses. So yesterday I got the Savage and the Ruger 96/22 that was converted to HM2 (the Harv). I loaded the mag and took five shots two were no doubt flyers would have been clean misses. So I picked up the brass and sure enough two of them had hugh cracks. So I put 5 more in and had one clear flyer maybe an inch from the group. I picked up the Ruger loaded the mag and shot ten 4 were clear flyers, I proceeded to shoot the entire box of Eley and when done 17 were clear flyers which would have been clean misses or shoulder shots. Not acceptable from my point of view. So I went in and got two more boxes one from each of the other unopened bricks I still have left. The first box out of the 25 I shot alternating between the two guns had 9 clear flyers. The second box had 13 out of the 25 I have no ideal how old any of the Eley is (10 years) some could be from when I bought it NEW at regular price some could be from the CDNN selloff. I am really glad I got rid of the two unopened cases I had one was a case of Remington I bought from tfrank the other I am sure came from CDNN. I am ordering a few boxes of new CCI and Hornady to test, if I get the same results the Savage will be down the road and the Harv will be converted back to 22 LR. Let me say that when this ammo was new I had no problem with flyers and cracked cases. And was convinced there was no better squirrel round made. I really hope the new ammo give better results
22man,

We have a lot in common. At least lots of squirrel rifles. As I wait not so patiently for our season to open, I try to take one or two of the squirrel rifles out to the range early morning before work and check my zeros with the lot of ammo that I plan to hunt with on each rifle and play with hold overs between 50-100y just so, I can aim and shoot with confidence when I have a squirrel in my sights. Each rifle has its own ammo preferences. This year when I took my Sav Mkii in 17M2 out for its warmup, I had the opportunity to test it with both my usual Hornady ammo and some of the old Eley ammo. I could tell little difference between the two. Neither is super match grade accurate but is still able to hit nickel to dime sized tgts at 50y from a bench. Good enough for squirrels. The scope was off to left a few clicks which did not take long to fix. I did have a few high flyers from both lots of ammo. One massively split case with the hornady which stuck in the chamber. No others as far as I know. I am not privy to how the Eley ammo was stored but it was a 2005 year lot number so it is nearly 15 yrs old. I have never had much luck with old rimfire ammo no matter how it was stored once it is more than 5yrs old and if it was left out in the truck or the hot garage all summer it will deteriorate much faster. The two tgts attached are from the Hornady and the single tgt is from the Eley. Over all the Eley is slightly better and you can tell it was great ammo at one time cause most shots group into one hole with one or sometimes two being off a little. The Hornady I was shooting that day has been trucked around with me all summer or baking out in the garage when not in my vehicle. It was not as good as it was when new last year. I have other of it tucked away indoors which might shoot better. I have seen this with 17hmr also as well as 22lr ammo. Get you some new Hornady ammo and your Sav should shoot great. It may not be as pinpoint accurate as your best 22 but it will be able to shoot point blank out to at least 80y depending on how you zeroed it and the drop at 100 is as you know only a little bit. That is why it shines as a game getter. I am using a Zeiss 3-18x optic on this rifle. It is not a great scope but OK. The tgts were all shot from a bench in dead calm conditions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17m2 Hornady 50y.jpg (477.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 17m2 50y eley.jpg (446.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Sav 17M2.jpg (294.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-10-2019, 01:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
96% (24)

Well we are flooded again went to three places all had moving water and roads covered. Finally hit one last place and killed these. The movement last about 45 minutes shortly after first light.
Gun: Remington 582 22 LR Ammo: Sk HV HP 22 LR

Aug 8th by ivan robison, on Flickr
Old 08-10-2019, 02:17 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I'm getting excited, Sept first our season opens. Just looked at over 5000 acres of DNR hunting ground I have never been on. Should be a limit of squirrels on there, beautiful ground.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:24 AM
ohiohunter2019

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What's your guys tactics in early season? I live in NE Ohio and sometimes hunt central Ohio in large tracts of oaks, hickories and pines. Last year in December we killed a lot of grey's in the oaks and pine forests. I have never hunted them when the leaves are on but would like to get out. Should I take my 20ga O/U or the 22lr with some segmented rounds? In late season I usually sit on a hillside and watch for them bouncing around the treetops or forest floors and pick them off. Other times I do a lot of walking.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:48 AM
gebosniper
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
ohiohunter2019, I always use a 22 unless hunting in West Branch state park where its shotgun only. I live in SE Oh but drove up to WB and Berlin SP a couple times last year in search of black squirrels. It took me about 1500 miles of driving but I finally got one. Plan to go back up there again this year. Early season is my favorite time. Just listen for nuts falling/look for branches moving and the stalk your way in until you can get a shot.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:01 AM
reb henderson

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
I personally hunt slow. During the hot summer months they move pretty slow. Others, like 22 man, hunt pretty fast. I carry a stool and shooting sticks. Where you live, they ought to be in the hickory. Find where they are cutting and stake that tree out for a few minutes. Action should get exciting. When you kill one, mark where he fell, and dont move. You can kill a limit out of one good hickory. Wear plenty of bug spray !

Last edited by reb henderson; 08-14-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:52 PM
ohiohunter2019

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gebosniper View Post
ohiohunter2019, I always use a 22 unless hunting in West Branch state park where its shotgun only. I live in SE Oh but drove up to WB and Berlin SP a couple times last year in search of black squirrels. It took me about 1500 miles of driving but I finally got one. Plan to go back up there again this year. Early season is my favorite time. Just listen for nuts falling/look for branches moving and the stalk your way in until you can get a shot.
Last I knew Columbus is littered with them and so is the Toledo area. In all my years hunting NE/NW Ohio I haven't seen them but central and western Ohio.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:21 PM
gebosniper
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ironically we have a few black squirrels around here in the neighboring city but cant hunt them. I Have not seen one in the wild in this part of Ohio. I did see a true red squirrel (not to be confused with a fox squirrel) in the woods here but did not get a shot at it.
Supposedly NE Ohio has black squirrels because Kent state university imported some from Canada several decades ago and they have populated the local area. WBSP is 5 miles from the kent state campus and Berlin is about 25-30 miles away.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:17 PM

TPC Rating: 
96% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiohunter2019 View Post
What's your guys tactics in early season? I live in NE Ohio and sometimes hunt central Ohio in large tracts of oaks, hickories and pines. Last year in December we killed a lot of grey's in the oaks and pine forests. I have never hunted them when the leaves are on but would like to get out. Should I take my 20ga O/U or the 22lr with some segmented rounds? In late season I usually sit on a hillside and watch for them bouncing around the treetops or forest floors and pick them off. Other times I do a lot of walking.
SHOTGUNS are for woman, kids and old men
Old 08-14-2019, 09:33 PM
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Well we are flooded again went to three places all had moving water and roads covered. Finally hit one last place and killed these. The movement last about 45 minutes shortly after first light.
Gun: Remington 582 22 LR Ammo: Sk HV HP 22 LR

Aug 8th by ivan robison, on Flickr
Nice job, Kinda makes me miss living in the "Squirrel Capitol" I'm in Virginia now and have to wait another couple weeks for season to open
Old 08-14-2019, 09:33 PM
tfrank
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Talking Phew...

Quote:
SHOTGUNS are for woman, kids and old men
Phew, glad I qualify!!! Love me a SxS 12 gauge!!! Oh and I like me an 870 also!!! So it is now OFFICIAL!!! 22 man has given me his blessing!!! What more can this "old man" ask for... and be likely to receive!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:48 AM
SARGE
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Frank!!! A 12 gauge????!!! A nice little 28 gauge or 410 side by side maybe, but a 12 gauge?