Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:58 AM
three50seven
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

Lookin' Good! I like the Micarta handles!
Old 01-08-2015, 05:44 PM
Racer88
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A few more pics taken today.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:45 PM
Nobody
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I'll post a new addition that I've had a while. It's a larger stockman style, 4 1/4" closed, Buck 307 Wrangler, almost 3/8" larger than a 301, with a 3 1/4" main clip blade, & a commensurately large sheepfoot blade adjacent to the main blade, & an equally large spey blade at opposite end of the handles. This one will probably date between 1974-84 & was probably mfg'd by Camillus . It's been pretty well used but retains good blade snap, & even tho the main blade shows some evidence of excessive stone use, the blades are still pretty 'full' & the 'sawcut' delrin scales are in fair shape. Mfg'd by Camillus for Buck from 1973/74 to 1984, & then brought 'in house' by Buck & discontinued about 1998. Some early models will have Made in U.S.A. stamped on the main blade tang, & may have 307 stamped on reverse tang. Later models (74-84) will have Buck, 307, U.S.A. stamped on main blade tang. When Buck began mfg they used the BUCK shield on the handle for 3-4yrs & then the 'hammer/bolt' shield 'til discontinuance. I've only seen a couple of the 'BUCK' shield examples. These aren't very common & usually bring a pretty good price on the auction site(s)...

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2015, 09:25 AM
Nobody

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Added this little 'jewel' to my slowly growing Buck accumulation a few days ago. It's a little 1987, Buck mfg 303 Cadet. Was lookin' for a last year production (1990/91) of the 'old' blade configuration but this is closest I found (at least that I could afford). Sometime during 1991 Buck went to the current blade configuration which has the sheepfoot blade at opposite end from the main blade. All the earlier Buck stockman style kinves (& most other mfg'rs still) use this configuration with the sheepfoot blade adjacent to the main blade. Also wanted one with the 'BUCK' shield rather than the bolt/knife/hammer shield used before Buck brought mfg 'in house' about 1985/86. This one is near identical with the little 303 Workman with grey delrin handles that I acquired sometime back. At just over 3 1/4" closed, with 2 1/2" main blade, this one has been used but not abused, just needs a good cleaning/polishing. All blades show evidence of sharpening, with rubs, dings, scratches, etc., but are tight & have good 'snap'. Scales are in pretty good shape for one that's been carried, with a few dings'n scratches. Really don't know why I keep buying these old Buck folders, I ain't carried one for years, just like having a few of the 300 series around...

Last edited by Nobody; 02-25-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:41 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
I wonder why manufacturers switch blade locations like that mentioned above. In any case, nice stockman.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:04 PM
Nobody

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Yeah j.r., I'm still not sure of Buck's motivation in changing the blade configuration on their 'stockman' knives. Virtually every other mfg'r, both high quality & lesser, still mfg stockman style knives with the sheepfoot blade adjacent to the main blade, whether the main blade is a 'standard' clip, turkish, or whatever. On some of 'em you'll see the sheepfoot replaced with a wharncliff blade but it's still in the same place & generally of the same blade style. The spey blade may have a somewhat different style but they're generally identifiable as a spey. Beginning in 1990/91 Buck reversed the location of the sheepfoot & spey blades. I've queried Joe Houser, Buck's Historian/Spokesman about the reason for that change but never received an answer. I suppose they figure since they were 'the big dog' at that time they could do it & no one would object or remark on it. I have a couple of the new configuration Bucks but don't use 'em. Actually, I don't carry any of the stockman style folders much... Generally I carry a single blade 'lockback. in my right front pocket, & either a large single blade, a moose style, or a muskrat in the left front pocket. ALWAYS have my old Leatherman, original PST in a belt sheath, & if I'm hunting, a small fixed blade of some kind, on my belt as well.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:19 PM
cwlongshot

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer88 View Post
A few more pics taken today.

GREAT KNIFE!

This is one I have never owned...maybe one day!

Thanks for sharing its mighty fine!

CW
Old 04-26-2015, 09:16 PM
Houston-whap

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Buck 110 Full Auto

At one time I think there was a gentleman here who did full auto conversions on Buck 110's. Anyone recall who this was? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:17 PM
Nobody

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Recently 'lucked' into a couple of original Buck Stockman folders. Both are 1st version, Schrade Mfg of what later became the 3-blade model 301. Both were probably mfg'd in 1966/67 as they both have the 'grooved bolsters' hidden bolster pins, the 'bevel' on nearly the complete spine of the main blades, 3 scale pins, & single brass liners. The grooved bolsters is a Schrade 'trademark' & was present only on the very earliest models of the Buck folders. Later models by Schrade omitted the grooves & one version had the word 'BUCK' stamped on the reverse tang of the sheepsfoot & spey blades. Buck changed mfg of their folders to Camillus in 1971, & began 'in-house' mfg of most Buck folding knives in 1986 or thereabouts. Both of these have been WELL used with ample evidence of not so careful sharpening. They're still a welcome addition to my old Schrade mfg'd folder that I bought in 1967 after returning from southeast asia. My old knife is still near pristine while these were obviously 'work' knives. One has a little rust on the sheepsfoot blade & considerable damage to the 'sawcut' handle opposite the shield. I have several of the smaller 303-size stockman knives from both Schrade & Camillus that I'm pretty sure I've posted before.

My old original 1st version Schrade mfg'd Buck folder
Old 07-09-2015, 07:50 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Found this 119BR Special in a pawn shop . . .

. . . and took it home from the orphanage. Except for a small leather slit, pretty much mint. Date stamp has born on date 2010.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:46 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Bumping up an old thread . . .

. . . Swiss Buck Legend, a Buck version of the very popular SAK Victronix Classic / Ambassador design.

Buck 501 Squire, a drop point pocket friendly EDC knife.

The 673 Buck Lite Max. Small sheath knife, good design camping pattern.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:45 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Buck 317 Folding Hunter. Camillus contract for Buck knives.

Buck 735 Essentials.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:31 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Buck 704 Maverick . . .

. . . mid sized lock back knife. 3 1/4" closed length.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:23 PM
drshame

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One you may not have seen lately: Buck Strider Limited Edition Presentation Polish.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:03 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
I've never seen that knife drshame . . .

. . . thanks for sharing a picture of it with us. What are the function of those 'scallops' at the rear of the handle ?