Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-18-2003, 03:13 PM
KF9VH
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shot my HUMMER today for the first time.

Shot my 1517 hb today in the back yard to break the barrel in. Set a target up at 25 yards and fired one round then cleaned. Did that ten times. By the time I was done with ten round had it dead on at 25 yards. Shot one at 50 and it was about an inch high.

I used a 20/20 concepts cleaning line. Worked fair. One patch did not seem to give enough resistance and with two the darn thing would pull through the patch and lodge itself in the chamber. I had to cut a piece 14 gauge coated wire to run down the bore to get the patch out. Not too happy about that. I will be getting a Dewy .17 rod enough of the other.

The .17 does not seem to leave any copper fowling in the barrel. I used Sweats 7.62 and did not get the typical blue copper on the patch as I do in my center fire rifles. That is a good thing.

It seemed to me to be a fairly diry round. After one shot then cleaning the patch was very dirty. It took about 10+ patches to get one to come out clean.

I can see I am going to enjoy the the 17 hummer, what a great round!

Mike
Old 01-18-2003, 04:07 PM
BigLou

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exclamation first time shooting 17 and dirty

I got my Ruger 77/17 about 10 days ago-immediately went out of town, and been playing catch-up since I got back. I couldn't take it any more yesterday and went and shot it even though it was very windy and cold (at least cold for south Louisiana).

I was pretty pleased with the gun, but surprised at how dirty the round was--especially after reading so much about how clean it was. It took at least 6-8 patches to come clean after a single shot. I did see someone posting about different batches of ammo, but I wasn't aware that they had a powder change.

Also, though, I'm pulling patches through, as I haven't found a good rod yet--it probably will be more effiecient cleaning with a rod and a tip to push patches through--more contact between patch and barrel.

--Lou