Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:51 AM
alum572
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Moles anyone?

I can't believe how much lawn a mole can tear up in a night. Burrows everywhere. I find that traps don't work nearly as well as a good pitchfork and patience. Stomp the runs down, get a chair and a beer and sit quietly with your favorite fork (mine happens to have belonged to my gramps and is worn down to about 5"). Wish I had a good dog that liked to kill moles. PS- posted here because of the blood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6666.jpg (633.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 09-16-2019, 01:06 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
That is the way all moles should look!!!
Old 09-16-2019, 01:16 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 02:27 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice, did it put up much of a fight?

I'm getting moles n voles in my PB baited rat traps next to chippy entrances under my ground level deck in the backyard now. I'll poison just before the first snow that stays on the ground all around the perimeter fence line thats wooded on 3 sides and that keeps the lawn from getting destroyed. Lotta folks don't know but the Upper MI Yooper snow insulates the ground from freezing, or staying frozen, during the winters here hence the moles will burrow tunnels in the grass sod pushing the ground up wherever they go all winter long while searching for food. It doesn't take many moles to mess up every square foot of a 1/3 of a football size lawn in 5 mo. of roaming.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:50 PM
Wallbass45

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
A 12 gauge works well ! The only problem is the hole is bigger, but you got him.

Last edited by Wallbass45; 09-16-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:51 PM
Silas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I suppose that pitchforks and poison would work but they wouldn't be half as much fun as a Rodenator:

Old 09-16-2019, 05:35 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Nice, did it put up much of a fight?

I'm getting moles n voles in my PB baited rat traps next to chippy entrances under my ground level deck in the backyard now. I'll poison just before the first snow that stays on the ground all around the perimeter fence line thats wooded on 3 sides and that keeps the lawn from getting destroyed. Lotta folks don't know but the Upper MI Yooper snow insulates the ground from freezing, or staying frozen, during the winters here hence the moles will burrow tunnels in the grass sod pushing the ground up wherever they go all winter long while searching for food. It doesn't take many moles to mess up every square foot of a 1/3 of a football size lawn in 5 mo. of roaming.
That's good to know. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbass45 View Post
A 12 gauge works well ! The only problem is the hole is bigger, but you got him.
LOL Yeah, I bet that would summon the police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas View Post
I suppose that pitchforks and poison would work but they wouldn't be half as much fun as a Rodenator:

I need one of those!
Old 09-17-2019, 02:13 PM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tried the fork method, but don't get lucky to have a fork when a working mole is spotted. Best for me is to trap them using a Victor brand mole trap. Other brands just don't seem to work as good.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:26 PM
aztarget

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alum572 View Post
I can't believe how much lawn a mole can tear up in a night. Burrows everywhere. I find that traps don't work nearly as well as a good pitchfork and patience. Stomp the runs down, get a chair and a beer and sit quietly with your favorite fork (mine happens to have belonged to my gramps and is worn down to about 5"). Wish I had a good dog that liked to kill moles. PS- posted here because of the blood.
Looks like a texas heart shot.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:00 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm boy View Post
I tried the fork method, but don't get lucky to have a fork when a working mole is spotted. Best for me is to trap them using a Victor brand mole trap. Other brands just don't seem to work as good.
Is this the scissor trap? Or the one with the spikes that jab down into the ground?
Old 09-17-2019, 05:49 PM
GTS225
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

That may be, but is it $1600 fun?

Roger
Old 09-17-2019, 10:04 PM
Silas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My impression is that it is geared more towards a professional exterminator or farmer/rancher who will get a lot of use out of it to balance out the purchase price.

For the Watch This/Hold My Beer crowd it doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult to MacGyver up a homemade version, all it does is fill the tunnel with a combustible gas mixture and ignite it.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:08 PM
aztarget

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
My impression is that it is geared more towards a professional exterminator or farmer/rancher who will get a lot of use out of it to balance out the purchase price.

For the Watch This/Hold My Beer crowd it doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult to MacGyver up a homemade version, all it does is fill the tunnel with a combustible gas mixture and ignite it.
Something like this?
https://www.harborfreight.com/portab...nks-65818.html

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2019, 10:06 AM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alum572 View Post
Is this the scissor trap? Or the one with the spikes that jab down into the ground?
It is the scissor style. Got mine for around $10-$12 several years ago. Have one of the spike traps that never seemed to get them as reliably as the scissor style from Victor. The Victor trap comes with cocking levers which are needed due to the strength of the coil spring.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:52 PM
fugawe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbass45 View Post
I find 00 Buck to particularly effective.