Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:29 PM
Finnister

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lightbulb Newbe - 10/22 Build Thoughts - 1st post

I am a new member.

I have a 10/22 Ruger carbine.

My plan is to build this for my son and I. He is 8 and in Boy Scouts.

My build pan is the following:

Upgraded Trigger (Ruger replacement)
Boyd Stock (At-One)
Swap to .920 barrel (unknown) - prefer a silver / stainless - threaded.
Strip the receiver to match the barrel

The reason I am posting is I am looking for advise on install of these items and / or alternate items to swap to. I am looking to have $400 - $500 in the gun above the purchase. Cheaper is always better for the wallet.

I plan to use this at scouting events, and at some point with a scope.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:47 PM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnister View Post
I am a new member.

My plan is to build this for my son and I. He is 8 and in Boy Scouts.

My build pan is the following:

Upgraded Trigger (Ruger replacement)
Boyd Stock (At-One)
Strip the receiver to match the barrel

The reason I am posting is I am looking for advise on install of these items and / or alternate items to swap to. I am looking to have $400 - $500 in the gun above the purchase. Cheaper is always better for the wallet.

My advice.... BX trigger is fine. At-One stock is a waste of money for a kid.. .920 barrel is heavy, complicated to have irons on and another waste of money for the kid... Teach the kid to shoot first and worry about him looking cool after he learns to shoot.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:48 PM
rawhp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

If the scope if a future addition, then you may be limited in your options for barrel choice unless you're willing to pay for gunsmithing (or do it yourself). The TacSol X-ring Open Sight barrel is threaded, has open sights mounted, and comes in stainless, but you'll need to pony up $300.

GM has a stainless bull with open sights (Fire Sights) for $235, but isn't threaded. Having GM add the threading is another $80, so you're up around $300 again.

Other options would be to buy a threaded stainless barrel (Kidd, etc), and have it drilled and tapped for sights. So, for the cost of the barrel, sights and gunsmithing, it looks like you'd be back around or over $300.

If you skipped the sights and went straight to a scope, then the $100+ you'd save could go toward that purchase.

Oh, and WELCOME TO RFC !!!

Last edited by rawhp; 04-13-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2018, 05:20 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
with the bull barrel and the kids I guess it is going to be used from the bench? the factory stocks arent bad. they provide good support for the barrel and action. I would probably keep the original stock, because the good aftermarket stocks arent cheap.

Clark custom will do a rechamber/recrown on the factory with a tool steel extractor for $95. Or you could buy a factory ruger bull barrel for $99, and have CPC turn it down to sporter taper and thread it. That would get you great accuracy too. but the bull barrel wont have sights. I have a tac sol on a 22/45, it isnt as accurate as the factory upper and from what I have heard the rifle barrels arent that accurate either.

trivette gunsmithing will headspace the bolts for $35 with a pinned firing pin. JWH has a $25 kit that includes an extractor, firing pin, bolt buffer and extractor. JHW also has a decent auto bolt release.

as far as the trigger kit goes, you could get the VQ hammer kit is $38. power custom has an aluminum trigger with an overtravel stop that is $20. or you could buy a kidd trigger kit for $105. The kidd trigger kit doesnt have any take up. the VQ hammer kit does. the kidd kit is easier to install.

the one in the middle is a threaded factory carbine barrel, trivette pinned and headspaced bolt, VQ hammer and an aftermarket trigger with an overtravel stop. With CCI standard velocity it shoots between 1/4-1/3" at 25y. So it is a lot of fun for what it is and what it cost. The aftermarket barrels do typically shoot better though. I think I have around $320 in it without scope and rings including the rifle. i would also keep an eye on the classifieds for good used barrels.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Have you looked at the LTR/Appleseed guns as a place to start a youngster?
Fundamentals first then mod it up over time. Start saving money now.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:24 PM
supersharp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would start with working on the trigger a Feddersen barrel a Kidd charging handle with springs and upgrade the extractor.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:32 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
My threaded feddersen is a good shooting barrel. But they are only available in chromoly.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:16 PM
jam_ppp

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:

Same boat - I bought a carbine at Dicks for $299 and a BX trigger for it. Nothing fancy. The kids should learn to shoot the sights and they seem to have more fun vs. with a scope. They'd rather pop a soda can at 25 yards with sights vs. shoot groups.

Remember scope and barrel and stock you are considering will add weight - gets hard for the younger scouts. The base carbine is fairly light and is manageable.

As your son grows you can work on upgrades together.

Start with cleaning up inside the receiver with scotch-brite and putting in a VQ extractor ($10) to prevent reliablility issues. I also like the auto-bolt release - about $10. Spend the rest on Ammo and go have fun.

Make sure Dad has one too

jam
Old 04-14-2018, 01:10 PM
zingbee

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
http://www.nodakspud.com/NDS-22.htm

NDS-23 front sight for .920 barrel with NDS-26 rear sight/rail. Scroll down on the page to locate referenced sights. About $115 shipped. Will provide sights with later scope option. Pair them with a GM or KSA fluted bull barrel.

Still, in my opinion, quite a bit of rifle for an 8 year old. Stick with a modified standard carbine.

BTW, when did they lower the age to join the BSA? Used to be 11?
Old 04-16-2018, 02:12 PM
Finnister

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you all for such great replies.

Some of you even caught that I am building this a little over his head..... I want to have fun too!

!Questions that arrive from answers!

- Does no one make a decent .920 barrel with sights?
- Where is the best one stop shop? for parts? I
- Is there a paypal friendly store? (mama don't know account)

@zingbee - He is in Cub Scouts. His den is attached to a larger BSA troop.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:26 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Fred will put iron sights on his .920's for a fee
https://www.1022rifle.com/product-ca...barrels/ruger/
Old 04-16-2018, 05:58 PM
PhilF
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
1 stop shopping

Quote:

Some of you even caught that I am building this a little over his head..... I want to have fun too!

- Where is the best one stop shop? for parts? I
- Is there a paypal friendly store? (mama don't know account)

@zingbee - He is in Cub Scouts. His den is attached to a larger BSA troop.
Can make at least 2 suggestions, Best one stop shop-Kidd Innovations, Tony's 10-22 parts are excellent, well designed & he stands behind his products. I would suggest that your best buy in a trigger is to send your factory trigger to Brimstone for a tier3, about $50 with shipping. .

Phil
Old 04-16-2018, 07:01 PM
jam_ppp

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You can't go wrong with Kidd stuff - all highest quality and amazing customer service.
That said, when you know what you want or want to look at other stuff, my first stops are Rimfire Sports and Custom and an online guy Yoda1110 (you will find him on eBay and gunbroker).

The other thing is scan through the RFC sponsors here - many good products there.

jam
Old 04-16-2018, 07:20 PM
rawhp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Are you giving up on stainless and threaded?
Old 04-16-2018, 07:21 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I agree with everyone else in this thread that Kidd makes excellent products and I own lots of them. But for a child's first gun I don't think you need a full blown custom. As mentioned Feddersen will ad sights to his barrels which are extremely accurate IME and he only charges $25 to thread one of his barrels. That and an OEM trigger sent to Brimstone for a tier 3 trigger job or a BX trigger should get a pretty decent shooter without breaking the bank. It would certainly be much better than my first 10/22....