Difference between competition target and government target - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:23 PM
JeepsAndGuns

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Difference between competition target and government target

Pretty simple question. What are the differences between the Mk II competition target and the Mk II government target?
I have tried searching but can not find any real info. Best I can tell is the comp target seem to all be SS and have a "slab side" barrel, though I saw a couple pictures of blued ones. The gov target appears to be blue or SS and have a round barrel.
Other than the barrel profile and what is stamped on the receivers, are there any differences?
If you had the chance to buy one or the other (both setting next to each other) would you pick one over the other?
I am new to the Mk II series. I have a Mk III 22/45 and really like it, but everywhere I see the two above mark II models mentioned, they are always held in very high regards.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:55 PM
Empe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
The Government Target model was originally built for use by the US military for training purposes and to their specifications. Each model had to shoot within 1 1/4" at 25 yds . in order to qualify. Ruger made them with a "roller burnished" chamber which supposedly aided in the accuracy department. They were stamped with US markings.
After a period of time Ruger decided to offer them for sale to the public . The civilian offerings were identical to the US Government models except for the markings. Each model also came with test target serial # to the gun testifying to that particular guns accuracy.
Many of the MK II target models will meet or exceed those accuracy standards with the right ammunition but the Government Target was the only model that was guaranteed to do so.
The Competition target model with the slab sided barrel is available in Stainless only while the Government Target model comes in either stainless or blue. While this model does not come with an accuracy guarantee they generally provide a very good degree of accuracy often at least on par with the much esteemed S&W Model 41. I have a Competition Target and like it very much.
They are two rather sought after MK II's .
Old 12-01-2017, 12:47 PM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67

Aside from possible chamber dimensional differences and the obvious physical external differences the subtle ones are what your asking???

If you remove the pistol grips....

Sights / sight option / trigger pull weight / and model specific stamps/ scroll marks.

I have a comp/target 22/45 and a government target..they are both blued..

both are 6 7/8 barrel.....

same tight chamber....

one is slabsided and one is not......

one has a ruger bird badge stamped into the bolt and one does not.....

sights are different and Im not sure if they are interchangeable or not......

Edit:

Some came tapped for scope rails and some did not.
Hope this helps.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"

Last edited by PEASHOOTER67; 12-15-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2017, 10:14 AM
NCchris
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Peashooter, that is a very fine pair of MK II pistols!
Chris
Old 12-15-2017, 01:27 PM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67

Thank you Chris

I like them both especially since I can switch grips and barrels around to suit my needs.

Sincerely
No Feathers

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
Old 12-17-2017, 03:43 PM
45Man

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Old 12-17-2017, 04:28 PM
Empe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
45Man
....excellent information that pretty much sums up the Government Target Model
Old 12-18-2017, 06:44 PM
jpickar

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have never had a government model. I have had 2 comp. target models. I still have one of them. With a 4X scope I can shoot 5 shots that a dime will easily cover at 25 yards. I have never had a MKII that would shoot 1 1/4" at 25 yards. ALL of them shot well under an inch, under 3/4" for most.
I think it is marketing IMO.
John
Old 12-20-2017, 05:56 PM
45Man

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empe View Post
45Man
....excellent information that pretty much sums up the Government Target Model
Based on that article alone, I bought one brand new at a gun show, price was at my dealer cost & I was the dealer. He had a lot of them & probably got a quantity discount.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:58 PM
JeepsAndGuns

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45Man View Post
This picture is not working for me?
Old 12-20-2017, 06:00 PM
45Man

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpickar View Post
I have never had a government model...I think it is marketing IMO...
They pulled them off the regular assembly line, tested them & if they met the requirements, they became GTM's. If not, they became something else.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:02 PM
45Man

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
This picture is not working for me?
Do you mean you can't view it? Maybe something in your browser is blocking it.
It's my personal Google photo album. It has a very long & cryptic image address.
The only place that blocks it from viewing is ARFCom. They strip the image tags after you post it, but not when you preview it.

Last edited by 45Man; 12-20-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:10 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
I have had several Gov Target models and all of them shot good, one was outstanding. It would shoot small ragged hole at 25 yards, with scope ,mounted and sand bag rest. Sold it, wish I had not. Now I have a Comp Target that is every bit as accurate and will shoot 1/2" 50 yard groups when the nut on the trigger is up to it. Random assembly of parts sometimes shoot excellent , the Gov Target was the only one tested to shoot good from the factory.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:43 PM
JeepsAndGuns

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Do you mean you can't view it? Maybe something in your browser is blocking it.
It's my personal Google photo album. It has a very long & cryptic image address.
The only place that blocks it from viewing is ARFCom. They strip the image tags after you post it, but not when you preview it.
All I see is a circle with a horizontal line in the middle of it, even after clicking on it.
I am using google chrome.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:03 PM
xtratoy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
They pulled them off the regular assembly line, tested them & if they met the requirements, they became GTM's. If not, they became something else.
So since the Government model is a 6 7/8" bull barrel you are implying that if they didn't meet a certain accuracy standard they either slab sided them and made them a competition target model or cut them them down to a 5 1/2" bull barrel?