Suggestions for reducing tremble for newbie - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:29 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoBravo View Post
Part of it's probably just adrenalin- shooting is exciting. Try a light dumbbell-maybe 6-8 lbs., and practice holding it out. That should help smooth out the little muscles that are twitching a bit. You should see some improvement in a couple of weeks. The pistol will also be a little heavier with the loaded magazine, though maybe not enough to have an effect compared to unloaded. Also focus on relaxing through breathing while you're shooting.
How much tobacco and caffeine are involved?? They affect the shakes more than most imagine.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:06 AM
Racer X
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
96% (24)
I found out that when I cut out caffeine and/or decongestants on league day my scores improved. I drink tea, and went to decaf on league day, didn't use any decongestant pills until after I shot, and stayed away from sugary caffeinated sodas as well.

It helped. Another tip told to me by a top competitor. If you have hand crank target runners, crank slow or moderately, with your non-shooting hand. Every little bit helps. Even if it is only a point or two on a target. Add a few together and it makes a different.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:00 AM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Did you find any untoward effects from caffeine??
Old 07-20-2016, 10:07 AM
T191032

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
http://www.bullseyepistol.com/zeninfo.htm
Old 07-20-2016, 07:07 PM
old navy guy
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Been doing the shooting thing for a whole bunch of years now. As others have said Practice is the most important thing, when my league gets together we shoot for cokes or cookies or snickers bars, this is in addition to shooting for score. We all wobble and occasionally throw a wiggle or twerk into our stance. I have discovered that the harder I try then sometimes the worse I get. There have been many awesome nights that started great but by the second set of targets, I could not even hit the floor. When I start to get wobbly I stop and go outside for a while and just relax. sometimes it might be fatigue both physical and mental, and sometimes it just is what it is. I find that I do better if I do not take it serious, but that is just me.

Have Fun and enjoy the sport
Old 07-20-2016, 08:02 PM
gregbenner

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuj View Post
I have a great technique for this:

get a laser pointer and tape it to the top of a 5lb dumbbell. Hold out like you are shooting; try to keep the laser on something like a doorknob down the hall. Hold until exhaustion; take a break, repeat. Hold the dumbbell with your bottom 3 fingers only.
I think strength is critical. Practice will help of course. I also have found that the above exercise helps immensely. I use a 5 lb kettlebell, and use a cooking timer. Hold it out straight arm 2 minutes at a time, 2-3 times a day.

Also, I have a 12" length of 1" PVC pipe, with a 5' piece of heavy string, attached to the 5 lb kettlebell. I roll it up slowly, both hands out-stretched , and then roll it down. Twice or more. This exercise I have seen on several forums/websites for bullseye shooting.

Both exercises really help with both grip and ability to hold a 3lb gun (+-) straight arm with one hand fairly still for more than a few seconds.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:22 AM
Webologist

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tremble

I also still have this from time to time. What works for me is:

Shooting through it. it goes away after a hundred rounds or so.

Shooting a revolver that has a few empty chambers, or a semi-auto with a few snap caps mixed in (loaded by someone else). This causes me to focus on the sight picture after the shot more than anticipation of the shot.

Competition. When I'm focused on the task at hand and running the gun at speed, rather than being fully focused on framing the one perfect shot, it goes away.

Completing my trigger press as the sight aligns on target, rather than trying to hold steady and maintain a perfect sight picture as I press. First time I did this I was shocked at how much smaller my groups were.

Continuing to breathe slowly and controlled, rather than holding your breath. If you start to quiver put down the gun and shake it off.

Last edited by Webologist; 03-09-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:46 PM
dufferDave

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
This post is worth repeating

Quote:
Originally Posted by gascolator View Post
How's your general cardiovascular condition?

It may not be what you want to hear, but I can tell you that the more time you spend on the treadmill and the elliptical, and the stair machine, the steadier your grip will be.

Shooting is most definitely an athletic sport, even if it doesn't look it.
Your health is a huge factor. Even if you are a young pup, your general health, muscle strength, and cardio condition make a big big difference. There is probably not any person out there (still breathing) that could not stand to tweak their health a bit...or a lot.

Yes, cutting the caffeine will help, but that will not do all of it for you. It's going to take work. Fast walking, jogging, swimming, cycling, etc for cardio. Stretching, pushups, pullups, working with weights for upper body strength. The good news: you will feel better and live longer, besides shooting offhand a little better.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:14 PM
Pistolman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome to precision pistol shooting! You got a lot of good advice above, but I will add the importance of "dry firing". Set up and aim against a blank wall if you are using irons - OK for a dot as well. Of course ensure the gun is unloaded!! Carefully fire a shot. Do this 10-100x for every live shot you fire. One can easily see the effect of finger placement on the trigger, grip etc., as well as gain appropriate strength.

The above is very brief, but there are many online refs for precision pistol shooting - good luck!
Old 09-06-2017, 06:54 PM
camodave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Expectations

I am about to return to shooting a handgun of some sort at age 65 simply because my eyesight has changed enough to allow me to shoot iron sights again. We live in a world where most handgun shooters sincerely believe that handguns were made to shoot with two hands. You should be proud of yourself for even attempting to shoot one handed.
I have been shooting recurve bows now pretty seriously for over 8 years. When I started, I remember reading an article by a world level coach, who said it takes 10 years to reach your best performance level. So two more years and I will be at my best as an archer and 10 more years, at age 75, I will have been unable to see my handgun sights for 5 years and have had 5 years of great times reliving my youthful handgun experiences. Might even make a few bucks shooting against the youngsters with one hand.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:12 AM
WLD1956

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So is anyone shooting this match? I can find no scores