Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:04 PM
ddcalvi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
how to carve the back side of a comb/ cheek piece

I've been carving a stock from a blank for several months now in my spare time, and i've come to a problem, what should the reverse side of the comb/ cheek piece look like as it meets the buttstock itself. I have a fairly high comb, it is a thumb hole style stock with a monte carlo style cheek rest. I am not interested in a roll over style, so my thought would be to just have the side oppsite the cheek rest drop down straight from the top of the comb and blend it into the buttstock. Any suggestions? or pics would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Daniel
Old 08-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
I think I know the spot you are asking about. Does this help?

The slope at the back is a little more gradual than others I've seen. In this case, that probably because of the typical Weatherby reverse slope on the top of the comb.

More Weatherby examples (above), one showing the side with the rest. On the stock I've done with a cheek rest, I used a round file to accentuate... almost turn under... the transition from rest to stock. Here is the one I did. No raised comb, though, so doesn't address your question, methinks.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:48 PM
azguy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
More examples:

Depends on what you find pleasing to your eye.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2012, 10:24 AM
cjsdad
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Send a message via AIM to cjsdad
Here are a few that I have done.

This was the very first stock I modified and like you, I didn't know how to finish the back side. So I made it flat.

This one I made smooth and the whole back side is smooth and rounded.

This one was a skeletonized stock that resembles a Baracuda and I made the cheek piece look raised and separated.

Here is one that I currently have under construction with a roll over style cheek piece similar to the skeleton one but on a solid stock.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:40 PM
ddcalvi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks!

Thanks guys for all the pics! now i have something to go off of, though i think i'm just going to see what come out of the wood... so to speak. it's a sculpture and i'm just uncovering whats already there... if that makes sense