Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:13 PM
SDWhirlwind
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
AMT Challenge Edition

Was just curious if anyone here had one of AMT's Challenge Edition custom shop rifles??? Twin brother and I each have one and was wondering if anyone might know how many might have been made. Brother purchased his new in later 90's('98 I think) and I bought mine slightly used a couple yrs back and it was made in '97 I think the original owner stated. I know Ruger sued them and production was halted so was curious is all. Love mine, a real shooter with Shilen barrel and Jewell trigger. Thanks.

Respectfully,
Dennis

Last edited by SDWhirlwind; 09-17-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:00 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDWhirlwind View Post
Was just curious if anyone here had one of AMT's Challenge Edition custom shop rifles??? Twin brother and I each have one and was wondering if anyone might know how many might have been made. Brother purchased his new in early 90's and I bought mine slightly used a couple yrs back and it was made in '97 I think the original owner stated. I know Ruger sued them and production was halted so was curious is all. Love mine, a real shooter with Shilen barrel and Jewell trigger. Thanks.

Respectfully,
Dennis
I don't have the complete answer to your question but I do own several of the AMT 25/22 rifles. I wish I had one of the Custom Shop rifles like yours. I know AMT lost the law suit over the AMT Lightning pistol, but I don't know why they quit making the rifle that was patterned after the 10/22. They made the 25/22 more than 20 years after the 10/22 came out so the patent infringement shouldn't have been an issue. (AMT may have made the 25/22 shortly before the 20 year patent life) The problem with the Lightning pistol is that it was made in Stainless Steel shortly after Ruger came out with the MKII. I think that AMT beat Ruger to the SS market. In fact, if it wasn't for AMT, Ruger may have never done it.
The nice part about the AMT rifles is that they were the first (as far as I know) to make a Stainless Steel 10/22 style receiver that was great for holding those heavy target barrels. I built a couple of custom rifles years ago with those heavy SS receivers. I have never built a custom 10/22 style rifle off of a Ruger receiver. Those AMT rifles were ahead of their time.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:45 PM
SDWhirlwind

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
They used a Ruger type bolt in the later ones so that could be part of the legal issues??? A friend of my brothers in Kalispell,MT had one of the first Challenge Edition and it used a completely different bolt whereas my understanding that the later would interchange with a 10/22.

When AMT filed bankruptcy, reorganized and moved to Sturgis, SD and renamed themselves Galena Industries one of the big dogs was at the Rapid City, SD gunshow. I visited with him a bit about the Challenge Edition and he said he still had 2 in the safe! Tried my darndest to buy one from him but he said he couldn't sell them because of the law suit??

I believe I am correct in that the 25/22 utilizes a slip in barrel like the 10/22? Whereas the Challenge Edition has a threaded barrel, integral rail with a couple of slots for Weaver style rings unlike the 25/22 which has a built in rail similar to what attaches to a 10/22 and uses 'grooved' rings? The 25/22 was/is alot beefier receiver than Rugers cast aluminum. Keep thinking I "need" one to go along with the one I currently have.

I know brother gave roughly $950 for his barreled action back then. I think it also has a Shilen or perhaps a Lilja barrel and he had them chamber it for the then new Power Points for gopher shooting. That price also included the Jewell trigger.

Bought mine from a fellow in MI who wanted money for a custom centerfire and had only shot a few hundred rounds threw it in 10yrs. It has the Shilen ported barrel, Jewell trigger and a McM thumbhole stock. Just a hoot to shoot. Gave $200 less for it then brother did for his barreled action. IIRC brothers is #500? Mine was a custom serial number and is XXX-001!

Anymore info from members would sure be appreciated as I have only seen 3-4 ever sell in the last 10+yrs.

Thanks for your info.

Respectfully,
Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2009, 03:57 PM
MARTINISHOOTER

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question

At last, some info on the AMT actions.! I purchased an AMT action fitted with a Kimber fluted stainless barrel and mounted in a Hogue overmoulded stock from a friend of mine for $200 Cdn. He was having difficulty with jams and missfires and was happy to sell it to me. It has the slip in barrel as per the 10/22 and the springs etc which I needed to cure the problems were as used in the 10/22. I purchased a second hand laminated stock (ex Ruger) and fitted it in to that. Initially it wasn`t that accurate but after putting a thin strip of urethane in the barrel groove to exert pressure on the barrel, it has improved considerably. I still get the occasional jam but will try changing the ejector to see if that effects an improvement. I mounted a Tasco 4x16x50 scope on it and it is fun to shoot. I am thinking of modifying the action to allow another fixing screw to be fitted so as to make the barrel free floating . Any one done this.? Tony
Old 12-09-2009, 05:43 PM
silver_2000

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have an AMT Lightning rifle that I bought as one of my first guns - Im guessing nearly 30 years ago ...

Folding stock - Looks just like a 10/22 buts its true stainless

Im taking it and my new 10/22 target to the range this weekend to see which shoots better ...

The reason I registered here was so I could search for info on it however the search doesnt work for 3 character words and the Lightning ammo screws up searching for Lightning

Last edited by silver_2000; 12-09-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:45 PM
SDWhirlwind

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
TTT- Somebody else has got to have one of these Challenge Edition AMT's???

Come out of the woodwork will ya
Old 12-22-2009, 03:59 PM
gmanofsteel

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
AMT rifle

Hey Dennis, I don't have a Challenge model of the AMT, but I do have a "Target Model". My rifle is all stainless and is marked "AMT Target Model"... .22 Long Rifle..... #A-0010X. The other side is marked, Stainless... Made in USA... Irwindale, Calif. At one point, there was an AMT Custom Gun Shop in El Dorado, CA. This is a small berg just adjacent to Placerville. The Challenge Edition rifles may have been made there . It is too bad that accurate info regarding the manufacture of the AMT rifles is so difficult to get. Good luck in your search. If you want a photo of my rifle, I will send to your email. I am a techno-dunce and haven't figured out how to post here yet. Take care, Dave [email protected]
Old 12-23-2009, 09:48 PM
SDWhirlwind

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanks, I would love to see a pic as I have never heard of a "Target Model"!

The "Challenge Edition" was a Custom Shop gun. I would have to dig it out of the back of the safe to be sure but am near positive it is marked Irwindale. There are at least 550 out there plus some special serial numbers such as the one I have which was the original owers initials and 001. I seen one for sale on either here or another forum 2-3yrs ago and I emailed owner and it was around 550 serial number. They could be had with the Jewell triggers like mine and my brothers both have. Also I am sure a reworked trigger. Mine is a Shilen which is ported and brothers is either a Shilen or Lilja but not ported. They are super accurate and beutifully done up.

Just thought there would be more info out there and or owners that frequent the forum here. Any info is appreciated. Thanks again and please email a pic to dmmartin at sdplains dot com
Old 12-29-2009, 11:45 PM
SDWhirlwind

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
AMT Target Model pics-Thanks Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanofsteel View Post
Hey Dennis, I don't have a Challenge model of the AMT, but I do have a "Target Model". My rifle is all stainless and is marked "AMT Target Model"... .22 Long Rifle..... #A-0010X. The other side is marked, Stainless... Made in USA... Irwindale, Calif. At one point, there was an AMT Custom Gun Shop in El Dorado, CA. This is a small berg just adjacent to Placerville. The Challenge Edition rifles may have been made there . It is too bad that accurate info regarding the manufacture of the AMT rifles is so difficult to get. Good luck in your search. If you want a photo of my rifle, I will send to your email. I am a techno-dunce and haven't figured out how to post here yet. Take care, Dave [email protected]

Really thank you for taking the time to send the pics to me Dave. I am facinated with the AMT 22's and sure wasn't aware of the "Target Model" they made. Wished they were still around as it would be a different option between perhaps the Ruger and the Volquartsens.

Also a big thanks to Sam for his much needed and correct info on the Challenge Editions and their history.

Respectfully,
Dennis
Old 12-23-2010, 09:20 PM
shooter65

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=205941154
Old 12-23-2010, 09:32 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter65 View Post
Nice rifle and it is already over $2000 with a couple of days to go.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:44 AM
different

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I thought these all came with the Jewell trigger. Either they didn't, or someone swapped it out. I think the AMT is an excellent rifle. I have had two of them. But for some reason it just seems to me that this one is going overly high with all the options out there nowadays to build something of similar quality. When these things were made there were no aftermarket receivers, barrels, or much of anything out there.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:18 PM
SDWhirlwind

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
IIRC correctly the Jewell was about a $200 option? Would need to see brothers build sheet to verify as he ordered his new and mine was purchased lightly used. He is here now for Christmas so that info is currently unobtainable
Old 01-11-2011, 10:04 PM
frisky-maddog

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
wish i could find a few of these to have around when i want accurate shooting just because they are different.

i know that today we can build them ourselfs but having one or two of the 500 or so that were made would be nice.
just expensive like the last one that was auctioned off at $2500 and change

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=205941154

oh well my pockets are not that deep but can always dream.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:40 PM
SDWhirlwind

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
There is one currently listed on GB with a starting price of $850. Seller has tried selling it on Gunsamerica and I think AA also.

I contacted him and he claimed barrel was a Midway???? If that is the case then it wouldn't be a threaded receiver unless he had someone thread a Midway barrel he purchased. Also no Jewell trigger etc. Almost like somene purchased an AMT receiver and built it on his own??? Too much money for me for what I thought I would be getting so never persued further. HTH

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=210179784

Also it only has the regualar 22 3/8" grooved receiver? Mine and brothers both have a machined in Weaver rail with cross slots.

Respectfully,
Dennis

Last edited by SDWhirlwind; 01-12-2011 at 01:43 PM.