>>>a22 wmr savage... Need help... Quick!!!<<< - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:54 AM
daniel brothers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
>>>a22 wmr savage... Need help... Quick!!!<<<

I bought this savage A22 wmr two weeks ago and it has been a pain in the backside.... and i need quick repair help from someone. It miss-fires on the first round, nearly every time. But after ejecting that one out, it then shoots okay for awhile. I'm into a hog removal program and it has done this 9 times on me while stalking hogs. 6 of those times I was able to eject it and get the shot off just fine... but it might do the miss fire again later on in the day. I 've changed ammo...still the same. Cleaned it out inside... still the same. I've done every kind of loading the first round process imaginable.... but still no good. Does anyone have any kind of answers of help other than... it's a SAVAGE... WHAT DID YOU EXPECT....LOL.

The end of the shell has a little indent from the firing pin... but only about half the length and depth of a fired shell.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:16 AM
Ferox34
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
What happens when...

....you load it one round short?? I know nothing about this rifle, but it might be a problem with the first round in a full magazine?
Old 03-17-2017, 10:48 AM
nevadany
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel brothers View Post
I bought this savage A22 wmr two weeks ago and it has been a pain in the backside.... and i need quick repair help from someone. It miss-fires on the first round, nearly every time. But after ejecting that one out, it then shoots okay for awhile. I'm into a hog removal program and it has done this 9 times on me while stalking hogs. 6 of those times I was able to eject it and get the shot off just fine... but it might do the miss fire again later on in the day. I 've changed ammo...still the same. Cleaned it out inside... still the same. I've done every kind of loading the first round process imaginable.... but still no good. Does anyone have any kind of answers of help other than... it's a SAVAGE... WHAT DID YOU EXPECT....LOL.

The end of the shell has a little indent from the firing pin... but only about half the length and depth of a fired shell.
what ammo are you using?

I don't have direct experience with this rifle other than having conversations with a buddy that has the A17. He had feed and cycle issues. I forget exactly what brand 17 hmr ammo he was using, but from my reading up on the rifle, in order to get it to operate properly, you need to use the 17hmr A17 ammo that is specifically meant for the rifle (it's a little hotter to get it to cycle properly). I told him that and once he switched, it functioned fine. Wonder if it's the same with the A22?

DW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2017, 11:00 AM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm not familiar with that gun.
You say that you ( cleaned it out inside ).
But did you give the ( chamber itself ) a good cleaning ?
Old 03-17-2017, 11:08 AM
daniel brothers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've used several different brands of ammo....BUT... it's NOT a feeding issue... it's making the firing pin hit the shell hard enough to ignite it. The first round has been feed in as a single.... then closing the bolt hard. I've used a full mag... half mag... and loading from there... still the same. No matter how I feed the first round... it doesn't fire... just indents the shell a little bit. Once I eject that one out.. it fires the rest just fine.... UNTIL... after walking around or riding in the truck for a hour.... then the first one will not fire again. It's like you can't leave one in the chamber until your ready to fire. All savage can say is send it back... piece of junk. I'm right in the middle of this hog removal program and this thing will not shoot the first round. Can you imagine the feeling when a hog is feeding in the open woods and you got him dead to right... and it miss fires. Makes a guy want to slam it around a tree. Piece of junk.

Savage is no help... so I'm hoping someone here has a quick answer. thanks...

After I bought it last week... I sighted in the scope and the first shot miss fired.... but after getting it sighted in... took it hunting.... had a hog at 30 yds feeding.... aimed... click... another miss fire.... hog ran off... I've fought this thing for two weeks with 9 screw ups so far on hogs... it ain't dirt... fouled... or anything normal.... just a piece of junk.

Last edited by daniel brothers; 03-17-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:20 AM
D Rock

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Check the firing pin channel for burs or any other obstruction, lube, and the such.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:37 AM
daniel brothers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've cleaned it out with brake cleaner.... no fix. I've oiled the inside like crazy... no fix. I've worked the firing pin by hand... seems to flow smoothly enough. BUT... I did notice that by placing a shell case into the bolt face, that the ejector would hook the rim, and pull the case downward slightly... which would allow for only half of the pin striking the shell. But it may not cause it to slide down when the shell is in the chamber...not sure.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:06 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Make sure the bolt is fully closed on that first round...is it? It kind of sounds as if the FP is pushing that first round forward.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:50 PM
LongRange1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Makes me wonder about the tigger...I shot savage rifles for about 8yrs and the factory triggers are crap in the center fires and cause a lotta issues if adjusted wrong...I have never seen an A17 in person but just google searched they and they seem to have several issues.

As I said I've never seen one but is it possible the pin is dragging on the sear? Or something hanging up on or with the trigger assembly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2017, 10:11 PM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
You might get more/ better results if you post this in the Savage Forum.