Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:16 PM
ms0072

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
am I wasting my time -- accuracy with takedown

Hello all, first post here.
I am a long time shooter but fairly new to rimfire.
I shoot a lot of pistol/shotgun and some 6.5 creed but recently I have really been enjoying my ruger markII and have gotten extremely accurate with it.

I bought a marlin and a savage for my kids and have shot them a fair bit, the savage is actually pretty accurate but I dont really like either of them.

Anytime I go to the range alone I take my motorcycle and I would really like to be able to stick a takedown 22 in my saddle bag.

I have been searching all over the internet and I am still not sure if the ruger 10/22 is up to the task. I do like the takedown models and would not mind putting a few hundred into it in upgrades if the end result would be a takedown rifle with acceptable accuracy.

So -- for those of you who shoot for accuracy alone, what kind of groups is the ruger 10/22 takedown with some reasonable upgrades capable of at 50yds given the right rest/shooter/ammo ?

Any help greatly appreciated
Old 05-11-2018, 05:42 AM
jam_ppp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I do pretty much only range shooting, but am by no means a skilled or competitive shooter. So take my comments with that in mind...
I had a takedown, and recently sold it, but my experience with it was that it's not so much an accuracy issue vs. holding zero between takedowns.
There are other improvements overall you can make to 10/22 -- triggers, barrels, etc - but those are common to all vs. my comments here are just about the unique issues with a TD.

First, if you read up on it here, you need to get the barrel tension screw snug enough that it takes some effort to take it apart and put it back together. There are lots of posts and discussions on that here. That is the biggest difference maker when it comes to takedowns.
Second is there seems to be sensitivity to how your rest/support it. Pressure on the forearm can flex the barrel a bit. #1 above seems to take care of most of that, but you will need to experiment with different approaches at the range to see if you get variation with where you rest the rifle. I tended to rest it as close to the trigger as I could.
Third is holding zero - you will get some change - typically minor if you follow #1, on zero when you reattach the barrel. Some folks go with barrel mounted optics to avoid that. In your case spending a first few shots at the range to adjust zero may not be a concern.

Overall for what you describe as your need I think it will work for you. Or you could just drive a car to the range....

jam
Old 05-11-2018, 08:31 AM
r_olsen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Like Flysalot said, point 1 and 2. I can get sub 1" groups at 50 yards with my heavy barrel TD.
VQ hammer and trigger kit, KID charging handle with strongest spring, headspaced bolt, polishing etc. All of these things only improved accuracy marginally. I put my TD in a regular stock, so barrel is free floated, that was the best improvement.
From what I've read here some TD's are shooters, some not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2018, 09:14 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Browning ATD

You can have repeatable zero with the ATD. The barrel to receiver is solid when properly adjusted. No wobble.

If you put a scope on it, the mount is a cantilever that comes back over the receiver. I use QD rings on my Nikon 3x9EFR AO target dot and I have absolute zero when I pull it out of the carry pack and put it back together.

You pay twice what you would for a 10/22, but you don't need to spend another $3-400 dollars trying to make it shoot good.

This was shot at the indoor club range, 25 yards, off a bag. I shot a full magazine which would have been 10 shots.
[IMG][/IMG]

The following picture was off hand at 25 yards, shooting quickly. Or rapid fire as I think I labeled it.

[IMG][/IMG]

I have had my ATD since 1960, and shot a Remington Mdl 24 (essentially the early Browning licensed to Remington) which was made in 1925 when I was a teenager in the early '50s. This is my carry bag. Stock in one sleeve (Left Side), scope in the left sleeve on the right side, and the barrel in the right sleeve on the right side. The barrel does not extend from the pack when zipped up. A great little over the shoulder bag for around $35 off eBay or Amazon.

[IMG][/IMG]

I believe you would find the ATD will meet your requirements for a take down with good accuracy.

VH
Old 05-11-2018, 10:10 AM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you are willing to spend several hundred dollars why not buy a good used Old Marlin 39 Mountie lever gun. it does break down into 2 pieces and it will go back together. It'll shoot. It seems to me that if the scope is mounted on the bbl the 10/22 should work too.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:21 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
The TD no matter what you do to it is never going to be a target gun. I have 3 of them all modified with heavy barrels, Kidd triggers, bolts, and charging handles, and Hogue and Magpul stocks. After all that modification they are still only good for about 1" @50 yards. And that is about as good as it gets. They probably average closer to 2"-2 1/2". It was never designed to be a target gun. I have 11 non-TD 10/22's that are also all heavily modified and every single one of them will outshoot any of my TD's.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:47 PM
bluzman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As the owner of a TD, I say the short answer is yes, you're wasting your time. JMO
Old 05-11-2018, 02:18 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I decided long ago that when I take the mc I take a handgun or two. Works better for me, anyway.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:37 PM
BobbyDanger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ms0072, I recently sold my 10/22 Takedown. It was fun and portable, but I had unrealistic expectations. What i really wanted was a stock 10/22 TD with the accuracy and precision of target gun.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:55 PM
Antonio

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was shooting my 100% stock TD today with open sights, seated with a rest bag and Remington Thunderbolts (Currently the only bulk ammo available over here) and a printed life-sized seated rabbit target @ 55 yards, no wind and overcast sky.

Clearly not a target rifle; average 5-shot group was 1-1Ĺ". Enough for plinking or shooting critters aiming to the mass but nothing more; a nice, casual plinker that in my opinion can be equipped with a red dot sight for clearer aiming but that's it.
If you're looking for more accuracy in a take down rifle, probably the Marlin 39 mentioned above is a better choice, specially if you plan scoping it.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:51 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I didnít know 1022 takedowns were POS!

Mine ,stainless ,plastic stock, imitation TRS red dot. Bx Trigger.Shoots just fine.i donít bench rest this gun,just off hand 25 yds at indoor range. Punches out the 2 inch bullseye. My friends shoot it and say ď this is too easyĒ with big grins on their faces . I lent it to a nephew for squirrel hunting and I had to threaten to cut him out of the will and buy his daughter a Savage Rascal to get it back.No itís not ever gonna be a bench rest shooter, but itís a heck of a shooter, and with the 25 round bx magazines it is one of the most fun guns I have.

The Browning is a fabulous gun. That said , it has a fancy wood stock, a tube magazine,not really bipodable,and the bottom ejection does not lend itself to shooting off a bag.That said it really is accurate and a lot of fun.

The Marlin 39a,lever action, is magnificent, but as a take down,too many springs,etc are exposed for motorcycle travel.Again not a bench gun.

So takedowns are not bench guns.

So if you donít really want a bench gun, the 1022 takedown,stainless bx Trigger,red dot bx 25 magazines and if you must the magpul stock would be my choice.

If you want a bench gun ,that you can carry on the bike, so you can shoot dime size groups at 50 yards Then this is what Iíd buy.

Savage Rascal. Plastic stock is best , and barrel is free floated.Nice big scope, nice bipod.I have had 2 of these, and really the only reason I donít have them now is cause I gave them away as gifts.They shot as true and straight as anything I have, were easy to deal with, single shot, no magazine issues,accu Trigger, splendid. Yes people will grin at you, but when the see that your targets are the stickers they use to cover their bullet holes, they stop smirking.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:53 AM
Rayman-67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Check out cricket prescion rifle very small great reviews
Old 05-13-2018, 01:02 PM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One of the reasons I never bought one for I feared inferior accuracy.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:55 AM
scoony
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one that will shoot 1 1/2" groups at 50 yards. I am satisfied with it.

The biggest issue that I have had with it was actually the scope I had mounted initially. I mounted a Redfield Tac-22 and the reticle system was not tracking well, plus the exposed turrets were getting spun around while packing in and out of the bag. I put a old shotgun scope on it that fits the bag, but have not shot it with that scope yet.

I guess that 22 years in the military has gotten me used to stiff triggers. The only modification I have done so far is the bolt release.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:07 PM
LarDaBear
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I ain't a paper puncher but my Charger take down with a rather inexpensive reflex sight on it will shoot as well as my buddy with his old Steven's semi auto rifle when he shoots of a bench and I use the bipod of a bench.
My 10/22 Davidsons take down with the factory fiber optic sights is my 'bug out' gun stored in the bag with a whole bunch of loaded 25 rd mags and a paintball tube with over 500 rds of loose MiniMag ammo.It doesn't shoot as well as my 52's but I think pop cans all day at 50 yards off hand is adequate.
Recently I picked up a Rossi(yeah,a Rossi) 62 SAC slide action carbine with the 16" barrel.It's the only firearm in my 68 years I've ever been tempted to call 'cute'.It's in very nice shape and I grabbed it from a pawnshop for $250 out the door as I just couldn't resist it.It turns out it's a pretty good shooter AND it's a take down.Shoots shorts,longs and long rifles in any combination,tube magazine so no mag to lose.Not high capacity,something like 9 or 10 rds of LR but it fits nicely in a gun sock folded over when taken down in the saddlebags of my Harleys. And the darn thing is so much fun to shoot it's almost a sin.Whichever bike I take I move it into that bikes saddle bag along with a few boxes of Mini Mags.The darn little rifle always puts a big grin on my mug.It's also great for kids and women love it too.
It's just a blast to shoot against my old friend of 50 years against him and his open fiber optic sighted 10/22 offhand at tin cans at 50 yards as fast as we can shoot.I think of all my firearms it is probably THE most fun gun to shoot.