tumbler - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:22 AM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
tumbler

Recommendations on bang for the buck tumbler? Don't want super fancy and super expensive, but I subscribe to the Vimes Boots Theory of Economics.

Or should I just get a $20 drill from the pawn shop and a pickle bucket?

Note that I already have plenty of appropriate buckets to use if I redneck engineer one up....
Old 04-12-2021, 11:44 AM
OldCZFan
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
If you go back to 9/19/2020, I sought advice on rotary tumblers and got good information in reply.I would attach the thread here but I don't know how to do so.

Good Luck.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:52 AM
bangbang
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
welcome,

everyone has their own level of pain.

but it "expensive" or "cheapness" or "hassle". Only you will know this and how cheap you are.

So, some things to consider...

> how many round will you want to clean. Not just in 1 day but over the lifetime of your hobby. If its 1000 rounds over 1 week, that could be 140 ish rounds per day for 7 days. But how many times do you want to do that?

> then you have to consider your time. Do you have alot of free time on your hands or are you being pulled in many directions. Again, only you can answer this. And then will this be consistent over days/weeks/months/years?

> And everyone does have different bank accounts. you dont say how much $$ you will spend or want to spend. You may want to do some reserach on the cost of tumblers in your area. Used? nothing said about that? DIY? again, nothing said about that either.

> Look at harbor freight, Craigslist and if you have any garage/estate sales in your area, look for those too. Google is your friend. Look on the gun boards you frequent that have a FS board. Or again, google is your friend. With the way things are going, you may have a hard time finding reloading stuff due to whats going on. You can also look for "rock tumblers" too. Some people have used small cement mixers.

> do you have a gun range where you shoot? Some/many have a FS board or a website. Some may have a FS on their website too. You can always post a "wanted" on places too.

> there an old say...."many people dont have the time & money to do it right the first time, but have the time & money to do it wrong many times over". Just something to consdier. Been there, done that. Sorry, for the soap box, but again, been there, done that.

good luck

i forgot another option...

> Do you have any shooting friends that reload and have a tumbler? if so, ask if you can use it or maybe do the work for him/her and tumble their brass for the use of the tumbler.....

Last edited by bangbang; 04-12-2021 at 12:47 PM. Reason: add a hint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2021, 03:30 PM
TrblShtr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've used the Harbor Freight (Chicago Electric) twin drum rock tumbler for a long time and it works great. If I did larger volumes I'd consider a Thumler, Franklin Armory, Lyman or other brand. If you go the Harbor Freight route you'll need to order a couple pounds of stainless steel pins off the interwebs. A product called Lemishine will help give a seductive shininess to the brass but isn't really needed.

Link to OldCZFan's tumbler thread

Edit to add I have a vibratory tumbler that uses the corn cob or walnut medium but didn't like using it inside due to the dust it generated.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:23 AM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Get something made to do the job. There are many that aren't that expensive. You will be glad you did it after cleaning several batches. This is a investment you will make that will last for many years of use and it will be worth it.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:35 AM
NF1E
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumler model B or Frankford Arsenal are a couple that I use regularly.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:30 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I've a 35 year old Thumler's. Not exactly cheap but aside from replacing belts on occasion no problems either.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:54 PM
ywaltzucanrknrl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had an RCBS vibratory go south within a year. I've had a Thumblers rotary for over 40 years---had to get new gaskets on the drum and new belts, but it's been a great product. I have two Thumblers vibratory that get used frequently and have had them for 20+ years.

I do polish rocks also, so the rotary is running more than it is idle---but it is well maintained---cleaned and oiled often.