Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-11-2021, 04:18 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BRNO M5 Project

Greetings members, I hope youíre all keeping well.

Still in lock-down here, no range time but I did manage to acquired an old 58 Brno 5 De Lux and doing some research while awaiting my license approval (fingers crossed).

Not afraid to tackle the task as it will not be a safe queen/or sold but handed down. The rifle needs a full refurbish especially the stock which was badly done many years ago.

I have read numerous posts here and believe I know the various steps involved however, any further info/guidance is always desirable. I really like the honey/straw colouring on old Brnoís (in stark contrast to my Match 54) and would like to achieve same/similar result.

Plan of action is to strip down to bare wood, steam out any dings/scratches and finish by dry/wet sanding to seal up the pores.

Do I need a stain/colour/tint to achieve the old factory honey/straw colouring or is this colouring from age and years of handing?

What is the best product (Tung Oil/Danish Oil, etc.) to apply to get this honey/straw colouring?

Finally, what modern CZ hex type stock bolts will fit the model 5.

Many thanks, keep safe.

Giz
Old 02-11-2021, 05:00 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
You should not, assuming the stock is Beech or even Walnut, if you use Lacquer and aren't pleased with the color you can always reshoot the finish with a toned Lacquer. Lacquer is available in rattle cans here and likely in Ireland as well.

Not aware of anyone making Model 5 action screws but Jim of J&P certainly could with the correct length measurements.

https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/

Last edited by gmd1950; 02-11-2021 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-11-2021, 05:59 PM
Gizmo60

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the info.

I must research Lacquer/other finishes in rattle cans.

I believe stock is Walnut, everything I have read says only two stock options on the Model 5, beech & Walnut with no checkering and Walnut with checkering on De Lux model.

This is why I asked initially as the colour is so light (honey/straw colouring) compared to most Walnut stocks I have seen.

Giz

Last edited by Gizmo60; 02-11-2021 at 06:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2021, 02:06 AM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (62)
Looking forward to seeing your results. I have a model 5 that should get a facelift. Lots of wear on both metal and wood.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:20 AM
Thunderbolt84
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Iím looking forward to the before and after pictures. I have a Model 1 I need to rejuvenate and Iím anxious to see what works for you.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:10 PM
Gizmo60

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Update.
Greetings all, itís been a while and we are still in lock-down, the wheels of officialdom turn slowly over here, but finally, Brno has a new home.

Itís a 1958 Brno Model 5 De Lux. I threw on a Tasco scope for the pic, just about fitted with the rear sights removed.

After 63 years of use it needs a total refurb, the stock has lots of dings/scratches, blueing is well worn in places and the action has three small areas of rust/pits which require attention. Rifle functions perfectly and the breech/bore & crown are spotless.

So the work begins , Iíll post a few picks when finished. Giz

1968 Brno M5 - 1.jpg

1968 Brno M5 - 2.jpg

1958 Brno M5 - 3.jpg
Old 04-07-2021, 08:38 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Nice project! I look forward to seeing the progress and finished result.

A Model 1 was my first BRNO/CZ refinish, and it got me hooked. I've probably done 10 or 12 since then. For the last few years I'm to the point that I'll buy one more so that I can refinish the wood than actually needing the gun.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:48 PM
Gizmo60

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Update.

Not finished yet but finally got around to stripping the stock, harder work than I thought.

Itís a plain enough piece of light coloured walnut and after 60+ years its bone dry and as hard as iron.

I have wet sanded three times so far and will probably do a few more to see if it enhances the wood. I donít have the tools or the skill set to re-cut the chequering so I cleaned it up as best I could.

Trivia info - stock is stamped with the letter H in the bolt recess and with the number 31 under the trigger guard.

Giz

Stock 1.jpg
Old 04-21-2021, 02:12 PM
Gizmo60

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Update.

Stock now finished to the best of my skillset.

Six coats in total, two coats of Tru-Oil (thinned 50% & 25% respectively) put on liberally and allowed to soak in, then knocked back. Last four coats pure Tru-Oil. Itís a bit shiny for my taste but when fully cured in a week of so Iíll wax it to a satin finish.

Itís a plain enough stock however I enjoyed the process.

Giz

Finish 1 (1).JPG

Finish 1 (2).JPG
Old 05-02-2021, 05:45 PM
Gizmo60

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Last Update.

Rifle finally finished, Im super happy with the result.

Lockdown restrictions have been eased here so clubs/ranges are opening up.

First range outing was yesterday and for a 63 year old rifle, it still shoots great. It certainly likes Eley Club.

1858 Brno M5.JPG

58 Brno M5 - 50 Yds.jpg
Old 05-02-2021, 06:54 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I like it! Thanks for the update.

I've gotten to the point that I kind of like the lighter pieces of walnut better than some of the darker ones. I'm refinishing a CZ right now that has the darkest wood I've encountered on the 12 or so I've refinished. Almost too dark to really show the feature of the grain.