Mini-14 with adjustable gas block - how to add bipod? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:08 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mini-14 with adjustable gas block - how to add bipod?

New mini-14 owner here, and I swapped the gas block for one of the adjustable gas blocks from these guys:

https://www.mini14adjustablegasblock.com/

I installed their gen4 model that comes with a sling stud.

I have a Harris bipod that worked with the Harris adapter and the old gas block. But now with the sling stud on the new gas block the Harris bipod doesnít sit well.

How do people add a bipod with one of these gas blocks?
Old 05-07-2021, 10:30 PM
VASCAR2
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use Harris bipods with the sling swivel stud mount but my firearms have enough hand guard to support the width/length of the bipod mount. I have a UTG bipod that has an adapter which attaches to the sling swivel stud and incorporates a pic rail. The UTG bipod is designed to attach to a railed hand guard or Picatinney/1913 rail. I use my UTG bipod on a Savage bull barrel bolt action 22 LR with synthetic stock and it has proven to be a decent bipod.

I’m not sure if this short rail will provide sufficient support. Another option might be trying to attach a Picatinney/1913 short rail to the underside of the hand guard. I would be hesitant putting screws in the stock because of the metal liner.

https://www.leapers.com/index.php?ac...temno=TL-BP78Q

Harris makes a bipod mount for the Mini 14 and Brother uses an early one on his 180 series Mini 14. It looks like this mount might be the mount you have. You’d have to remove the sling swivel stud from the adjustable gas block for this mount to work but might be your best option. Without having the Mini 14 in front of me I’m not sure why the Mini 14 mount is not stable unless it is because of the gas block sling swivel stud or the shape of the adjustable gas block.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/10...=1101131606232

Last edited by VASCAR2; 05-07-2021 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:33 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
With that set up you are better off with a rail on the bottom of the fore end and a bipod that attaches to a rail not s stud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2021, 11:37 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I guess Iíll have to go with adding a rail on the bottom of the fore end. Not much wood to work with. I see there are some bipods that clamp to the barrel but that seems to me that it would impact accuracy too much.

The Harris bipod adapter for the original gas block relies on the sling loop to stay on, so that wonít work with the new.

Attaching the bipod directly to the new sling stud leaves the bipod base unsupported and too far forward.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:17 PM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Never found the Mini accurate enough to bother putting a bipod on one.
Great close in rifle for offhand though, much like an M1 carbine. Not really a rifle and not a pistol either. Sort of like being between a rock and a hard place.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:29 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
More better ditching the adjustable one and just using the smaller gas port from a 3 piece port kit IME. AccuStrut gave me the most improvement when I still owned it.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:41 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine is a newer model with plastic stock. I put a pic rail on the bottom of the fore end. With good ammo mine will do 2 MOA. So will my Mini 30.