Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-01-2020, 01:43 AM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hard or Soft Bottom for your rear

Hard or Soft Bottom?

Thinking about a rear bag and Protektor has both a Rabbit Ear Rear Bag in Hard and in Soft Bottom. Which? Is this a bench surface issue or maybe a stacking issue?

Or... something else?

((FYI.. not a precision or competition shooter/guns... just like X's in the 50-100 yrd distance.))
Old 08-01-2020, 05:41 AM
StanHi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Hard or Soft Bottom?

Thinking about a rear bag and Protektor has both a Rabbit Ear Rear Bag in Hard and in Soft Bottom. Which? Is this a bench surface issue or maybe a stacking issue?

Or... something else?

((FYI.. not a precision or competition shooter/guns... just like X's in the 50-100 yrd distance.))
I've shot with both. The hard bottom (aluminum plated) bag seems to work better for me. There is not as much manipulation required as with the softer bag.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:19 PM
Hicksville Kid
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dave, I had the same question about the hard/soft bottom on the Protecktor rear bag. But, I also was confused with all the options available on the bag itself. Height and width of the ears and the surface are something I never thought about. My rear bag currently is the bag that came with my Caldwell Rock more than a few years ago. I just used it and didnít think too much about it. Itís deteriorating and I want to replace it too. What are you going with other than hard/soft bottom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2020, 05:29 PM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicksville Kid View Post
Dave, I had the same question about the hard/soft bottom on the Protecktor rear bag. But, I also was confused with all the options available on the bag itself. Height and width of the ears and the surface are something I never thought about. My rear bag currently is the bag that came with my Caldwell Rock more than a few years ago. I just used it and didnít think too much about it. Itís deteriorating and I want to replace it too. What are you going with other than hard/soft bottom?
Ditto on all the rear bag options just from Protecktor alone. I had been shouldering the stock when bench shooting. But recently tried few squeeze bags for the rear which is fine if I were doing just a shot or two for hunting... have to readjust with each shot. So I'm looking (for advise) on next step without an OMG price.

For the front I have a basic $29 Caldwell Rock Jr. and it is far far better than just resting on my range bag.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:27 PM
oldshot50
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I have both hard and soft bottom rear bags from Protektor. Majority of my shooting is in Benchrest local matches. For my purposes, I prefer the hard bottom bags. They seem to be more stable on the bench and ,IMO, the hard bottom contributes to maintaining the bag's shape better and longer. Also, the hard bottom will negate small irregularities in various bench top surfaces. The bags I have purchased in the last couple of years have been with the hard bottom. Perhaps the best advice I can give you is to call Protektor at 814-435-2442 and tell them what you intend to use the bag for. They can advise you on spacing between the ears, ear height and ear material based on your particular rifle stocks. They are very helpful, knowledgeable and courteous. Also, a benefit of buying direct from Protektor is that your bag is usually shipped for free and shipped quickly. Excellent customer service and products.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:57 AM
Cattleman30
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My experience echo’s that of Oldshot50’s in the previous post. The hard base seems to be more rugged. If considering the DR models, the optional handle works well.

The last two bags, Protektor filled with heavy sand. Money well spent and filled better then I could do it. As mentioned previously, they’re a great outfit to deal with.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:06 PM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good info!
Thx!
Old 08-02-2020, 02:26 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a few hard bottom Protektor rear bags. My favorite is a short bunny ear that I wished I would have gotten higher. I cut a piece of 3/4' MDF the same size as the bottom and used contact cement to mount it. Then put a same size piece of 100 grit sandpaper on it. Solid, don't move around, and I got my height I needed.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:16 PM
1911nut
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like soft thick cushion for my rear
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F2D6DC5D-D71A-4AF4-BD8D-EBE4D60FE1C6.jpeg (41.0 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by 1911nut; 08-03-2020 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:26 PM
Hicksville Kid
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshot50 View Post
I have both hard and soft bottom rear bags from Protektor. Majority of my shooting is in Benchrest local matches. For my purposes, I prefer the hard bottom bags. They seem to be more stable on the bench and ,IMO, the hard bottom contributes to maintaining the bag's shape better and longer. Also, the hard bottom will negate small irregularities in various bench top surfaces. The bags I have purchased in the last couple of years have been with the hard bottom. Perhaps the best advice I can give you is to call Protektor at 814-435-2442 and tell them what you intend to use the bag for. They can advise you on spacing between the ears, ear height and ear material based on your particular rifle stocks. They are very helpful, knowledgeable and courteous. Also, a benefit of buying direct from Protektor is that your bag is usually shipped for free and shipped quickly. Excellent customer service and products.
I called them yesterday and they walked me thru the bags I need given the rifles forestocks and stock thicknesses. I got a small and a mid front bag as well as the Bumblebee Rear bag with the carrying handle. I got the ones with the silver topping. They were a pleasure to deal with as you said.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:50 PM
oldshot50
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I'm sure you will get years of service and countless hours of fun with your new bags. Definitely quality products from a quality company. Shoot often. Shoot safely!