Need 2 stage trigger recs. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:37 PM
ricrock
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Need 2 stage trigger recs.

Hello all,

I finally decided a "hair trigger" is too touchy for me. I have had a Brimstone Tier one (advanced) trigger in a Nordic chassis 10/22 for a couple of years and the last time I took it out finally realized what I don't like about it. The trigger is just too light. The rating sent with the trigger from Brimstone indicated it was 2.1# pull, but I feel it might be even lighter than that. In my Charger I have a Brimstone Tier Two and it is very manageable.

In all of my AR15's I have LaRue MBT two stage triggers. I have gone the route of many single stage triggers, Geissele, ALG, CMC and of course Mil Spec. And I have found the LaRue to feel best for me. I really don't do much Bench rest shooting, just plinkling and target shooting mostly.

I have checked availability online for two stage triggers for the 10/22 and the only option I have found is the Kidd at about $300. I cannot justify that expenditure for a rifle I take to the range maybe six times a year. It doesn't look like Timney makes a 2 stage, I'm not sure of Jard, but the Kidd, even tho I'd like to have it , is just too expensive for this project.

Is there any options you can suggest for a two stage trigger for my rifle. If not, I guess I'll drop in my spare BX and give that a try even if it is one stage.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions, this group always has given me sound advice in the past.

Rick
Old 07-22-2019, 06:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Edit: I can't read
Old 07-22-2019, 07:41 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
You could send an OEM trigger to Brimstone and ask them if they can leave a little extra take-up in it. Not a true 2 stage but it would be like having a light first stage before hitting the break.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:47 PM
Andrew22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The kidd is the only true 2 stage trigger I know of at the moment. I had a Jard fully adjustable trigger that I was able to more or less adjust into a 2 stage trigger due to how they are set up you can add in pretravel with the adjustment screws and it stays smooth. It was decent but nowhere near as nice of a trigger as my kidd so I parted with it.

I would sugest you consider a jard sportsman as well as an alternative to the BX. They have a design very similar to an AR trigger and I like them alot. In fact my most accurate rifle right now has one in it believe it or not. My kidd triggers are nicer to shoot with though.

You can get the sportmans from RWarms for $69 shipped right now. However these were made to their specs for their slidefire chassis when they still produced it and some have reported issues with them. The 2 I have from them were fine though. If there is an issue you can either replace it with another through RW or if you send it to Jard they will replace the internals with the proper sportsman parts for around $15 last I talked to them.

All in all I greatly prefer them to the BX. They are all aluminum and they do have a fair amount of smooth take up similar to a 2 stage. It Also has a super positive reset you can feel and hear which you may like alot in more of a plinking trigger. you can also easily change the pull weight by swapping springs from 1# to 4#. I would recomend the lowest spring you use to be the 1.5# spring though as with the 1 pound I had failures to reset pretty consistently.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Andrew22; 07-22-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:05 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Iíll trade you a tier 2 Brimstone for your tier 1, pm me I like light triggers
Old 07-22-2019, 10:35 PM
'ol shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
Or, you can buy a return spring set from Kidd that includes different strength springs and tailor it yourself. It's and easy trigger to remove and reassemble, the Stickies can guide you through it, as can most of us. All you need is a cutoff Q-Tip to use as a slave pin to hold the trigger and sear together while you drop it back into the housing.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:30 PM
ricrock
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I truly appreciate the suggestions offered by you all. I switched the Brimstone Tier One with my spare BX trigger that claims to have 2/1/2 to 3# pull. In addition it also has a bit more take-up which allows me to take up the creep to the wall then continue squeezing to pull the trigger.

This is much better and smoothness compares to my Brimstone Tier Two on my Charger. I did however lose the pretty trigger that was in my Brimstone. I'm sure I can live with that.

Looking back at this project, It is a real shame there aren't more options for two stage triggers for the 10/22 other than the KIDD.

Thanks again for your help.

Rick
Old 07-25-2019, 01:15 PM
'ol shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
I don't see why it's a shame, Kidd did it right the first time. The trigger is very well thought out and features high quality construction.
I have a few of them along with the Kidd single stage triggers, a Brimstone Top Tier, a few Rimfire Tech kits, a couple Kidd kits, a Power Custom kit, and a few I did myself using a Power Custom jig.
There is actually nothing wrong with the stock Ruger parts, they just need some refinement, and that's not difficult with the correct tools and knowledge of how the trigger operates.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:39 PM
zukiphile
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricrock View Post
Hello all,

In all of my AR15's I have LaRue MBT two stage triggers. I have gone the route of many single stage triggers, Geissele, ALG, CMC and of course Mil Spec. And I have found the LaRue to feel best for me. I really don't do much Bench rest shooting, just plinkling and target shooting mostly.

Rick
If you like two stage triggers that don't cost $300, you might want to look into an AR upper in 22lr.