Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:07 PM
tsheemhawj

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Browning T-Bolt Feeding Issues

Hey Folks,

I'm new to this forum (but have been reading a lot of stuff from here). Anyway, I bought a Browning T-Bolt 17 hmr sporter a couple weeks ago. When I first got it and went to the range, there wasn't any feeding problems (loading to fire and reloading) what so ever (I tried all the rounds that I can get a hold of which includes Hornady vmax, XTP's, CCI Gamepoints, CCI FMJ). This past weekend I took it out to go hunting and notice that my rounds (CCI gamepoints) wouldn't feed. When I try to load a round to fire, the bullet seems to get stuck right below the chamber (I have to push up my magazine up a little bit in order to load and reload after a shot). Here's the kicker; it only seems to happen when I use the CCI gamepoint/Hornady XTP's ammos but not when I use the CCI fmj. Has anyone had this problem? Any remedies before I contact Browning?

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2015, 03:03 PM
Gtalley
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
same problem

I just noticed the same problem with my T Bolt 22wmr. I am wondering if it is because I have kept the mag loaded for several months. Did you find out anything?
Old 11-22-2015, 12:03 PM
Gtalley

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just found the problem. I was looking at my T Bolt to make sure everything was clean and I felt the stock wiggle ever so slightly. I tightened the two allen screws on the bottom ( they only turned a little) and that fixed the problem. Feeds perfectly again. Let me know if this fixes your problem on the 17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2015, 06:01 PM
buckeroo

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yep, happened to me too on my 17. It would load polymer tips and other full length, pointed ammo, just not hollow points. I called browning and they sent me another magazine and it has worked fine so far. I got to keep the old one too that works great for full length. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2016, 08:45 AM
Kiteman72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After giving it a couple of years off and shooting other rifles during squirrel season, I returned yesterday to my 22LR T-Bolt to do a little hunting.

I had the exact same feeding problem described by the OP with all 3 of my magazines. Has anyone else encountered this? It is definitely a mag problem and not a rifle problem; the springs in the mags seem to be fine when they are empty.

All 3 mags worked great the last time I had the rifle to the range a few months ago. The shells seem to be hanging up somehow, I just can't figure it. The easy "fix" would be to get new magazines, but I expected to get a lifetime of service out of the three I have.

Thanks for any feedback!
Old 01-04-2016, 10:10 AM
redmike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
T Bolt magazine

Do you turn the external gear on the magazine when loading as per the manual?
Old 01-05-2016, 09:43 PM
Kiteman72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmike View Post
Do you turn the external gear on the magazine when loading as per the manual?
Yep, the gear (wheel) seems to turn perfectly smoothly. I'm going to try different ammo and see if that helps.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:07 AM
redmike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had problems with feeding on my T Bolts. I was placing the cartridges in the magazine without turning the wheel. One cartridge jammed beneath the platform rather than on top. That caused my feeding problems. Once I started using the wheel to load, I had no more feeding problems. It sounds like there are other feeding problems beyond using the wheel properly.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:32 AM
Kiteman72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks redmike, when it quits being so wintery around here, I'm going to test with different ammo and pay more attention to the wheel action when I load it.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:08 PM
Pete44ru
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
86% (9)

It sounds like some of those problematic magazines could benefit from a swim & swirl in a pail of clean kerosene (available @ most Hess gas stations) to clean them out internally, and also leaving a thin film of lube inside all the nooks/cranies, once the carrier evaporates.

Any residue that was in the magazines will be seen as thin wisps of black matter, in the bottom of the pail of kero.

FWIW, I live/shoot/hunt in New England's cold Winter weather, and have never experienced any issues, such as the lube freezing, with the kero bath treatment.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:38 PM
Kiteman72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I went back to CCI SV and was sure to "turn the wheel" when loading and all was well in T-bolt land.

Still going to play around with different ammo, but am relieved to not have to get new magazines.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:45 PM
tsheemhawj

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I noticed that the two screws below was loose from the original post. After tightening the screws, the feeding issues went away for a while. I just recently try feeding the other rounds (CCI gamepoint, vmax, etc.) again on 17 hmr and they will not feed.

Has anyone encounter such issue with their 17 hmr? The only round I can properly feed without issue is the CCI FMJ. For all the other rounds (CCI game points, etc.), I have to slightly push the magazine up in order to feed it round after round. I checked and the two screws below are tight.

This is getting frustrated as my next step would be to call Browning and have them look at it. Since the non-lead ammo ban for CA will be in effect next year, it would be nice to have a proper working gun.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:18 PM
WalnutBill22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a similar problem with my .22 LR - the first round not wanting to feed properly. I then tried skipping the first slot in the magazine, and that seemed to cure it. You might give this a try.