as-new with box....1967 t-bolt - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:44 AM
bobnoffs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

i have one i bought new in about 1968. after at least 10 years the barrel turned up very rusty in large areas contacting the stock. at that time no one knew about the salt dipping. i had it reblued , gunsmith did a beautiful job, much better than original. then i sanded barrel channel and inletted areas and put a clear poly finish in there. no rust has shown up anywhere since then. my favorite .22. it was at least 20 yrs before i heard about the salt.
bob noffs
Old 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
A square 10
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
i like it - i think you did well - congrats
Old 09-22-2018, 09:28 AM
okjoek

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
salt

I have an old one, been carried for years, great gun. Never knew it was a salt stock until we were temporarily in a rent house while we built. Anyway, big spring rains that year and garage flooded where I had the gun safe. I had safe up on 2x4's but moisture got in and the stock on T-bolt actually salt crystallized all over surface. I still have it but went on a global search and found perhaps the last old T-bolt stock in Canada (the new T-bolts take a different stock). Had to do a final fitting/ sanding and then spent a couple of months doing an old style oil finish. Looks better than it did when I got it, no lasting damage but pain in the butt to go through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2018, 11:28 AM
jes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought one about 3 years ago knowing it was a salt wood gun. I probably paid more than I should have for salt wood, but less than I would have expected to for a non salt wood. I bought it because it has very nice walnut and overall it was in excellent shape, a T2. I live in a dry climate, I figured that if the salt damage wasn't that bad after 50 years, it would probably keep going for as long as I need it. You have a very pretty little rifle that is a joy to shoot, enjoy it, the salt is just part of it's history, at this point I think you're safe. Actually, thinking about it, if you offered me your gun, with the salt, or a plain, no figure T bolt with no salt, for the same price, I would take your gun, no hesitation.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:01 PM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Beautiful gun! I would think you'd solve the salt issue by sealing the inside of the stock and the butt area with a wipe on poly or even tru-oil. I know that British armorers used a red petroleum jelly inside the stocks of the Enflield rifles during the war to protect against rust damage to the metal from moisture.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:29 PM
VonFatman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Lightbulb

god mornng gents.

i've been enjoying some incredible colorado aspen
with my wife for the past couple weeks...no internet. :-)

i
great and appreciated comments.

i agree that it's salt is just history... love it.
the design and function is wonderful.
the wood beautiful.
it's gonna be salty keeper!

bob
Old 09-26-2018, 09:15 AM
2011ERIC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice T-bolt indeed! Beautiful wood for sure!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk