Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:31 PM
Purdue96

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pawnshop 66 t-bolt

Local pawnshop has a 66 T2 checkered stock t-bolt listed at $550. I’ve never owned one but have interest. I tried getting browning butt bolts out but would not budge. The bolt heads had no sign of rust. I took both screws out of trigger guard. No rust. No visible rust. Tiny scratch on blueing. Stock clean except a few scratches and one thumb size spot that looks like glue/melted plastic. Bolt and barrel clean. Looks taken care of. Lady wouldn’t take apart stock to check under barrel, need boss. Has mag, Front sight, no rear peep, old school little scope. You think $550 is too much? How much to haggle down?
Old 06-07-2018, 06:10 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
I wouldn't consider unless I could pull the action.Sounds like you were almost there if you pulled the tg screws.Frozen butt plate screws are a red flag.(and the heads wouldn't be rusty for a salt wood gun)
The cheap scope adds nothing in value.
A good size stock blemish and no rear sight? Even if it was salt free, I think the price is 150 minimum too much.
Yes,they are neat old guns, but $400 goes a long way toward a brand new CZ or older Annie 1416.
..Sounds like a pass to me.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:16 PM
Purdue96

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stock blemish is big to me and about where your thumb would be by receiver. Thought I could refinish the stock.

Had a trigger lock and Lady wouldn’t take off. I’ll have to go in when the boss is working. The scope I agree is a throw away. It had a hood on the front.

I agree money could go to a cz. I like the tbolt design.

I’ll check it out when the boss is there. If a salt gun I’ll walk away unless the price is real cheap. Everything outside wood shows no sign of rust and honestly gun looks in darn good condition. A new stock would be in order if salted. I am curious that in the light you can see a bunch of micro crack in finish. Definitely not an oil finish on the wood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2018, 09:30 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
As Camster said, if you can’t remove the bittstock screws then it is probably a salt wood stock.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:30 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Unless I'm getting senile..which is a real possibility, I don't recall that these had front sight hoods.
That's another red flag to me.

I don't know why some of the Browning finishes of this era develop fine cracks.I've never owned one where it happened.
My only thought regarding this issue is that the gun spent time in someone's hot and cold attic.

Last edited by Camster; 06-08-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:38 PM
Pete44ru
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
86% (9)

People tend to forget that the saltwood issue had ended almost 50 years - which means to me that survivors are just that (survivors).

FWIW, I bought a 1970 T2 T-Bolt Deluxe with it's peepsight, over 15 years ago, and discovered some shallow pitting under the stock line (that had zero rust left).

Additionally, someone had sealed the stock channel sometime in it's past.

In the 15 years I've owned/shot/hunted it, there has been NO new rust, period.

Since it's by far the most accurate .22 sporter I've had in the past (I've had Win 52B Sporting, a Miroku 52C, and a sporterized pre-A Win 52 slo-lock), I won't be moving it along anytime soon.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:45 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete44ru View Post

People tend to forget that the saltwood issue had ended almost 50 years - which means to me that survivors are just that (survivors).

FWIW, I bought a 1970 T2 T-Bolt Deluxe with it's peepsight, over 15 years ago, and discovered some shallow pitting under the stock line (that had zero rust left).

Additionally, someone had sealed the stock channel sometime in it's past.

In the 15 years I've owned/shot/hunted it, there has been NO new rust, period.

Since it's by far the most accurate .22 sporter I've had in the past (I've had Win 52B Sporting, a Miroku 52C, and a sporterized pre-A Win 52 slo-lock), I won't be moving it along anytime soon.

Twenty-thirty years ago, I heard tales of guns that were fine for quite a while in their original selling area. Yet when sold to a different climatic area of the country, the rust blossomed.
I had two NIB examples back in the day.I may have fired one-I don't recall. A later T1 "parts" gun and a 1973 T2. (I wasn't even aware of the salt issue back then) Anyway, at the time it seemed like a no brainer to cut them loose at the current market price of 300-325, and add a couple hundred to that and buy a new Annie sporter with a 54 action.

Last edited by Camster; 06-09-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:52 PM
Dean2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Frozen butt screws means that there is a 98% likelihood it is salt wood stock. The cracking in the finish adds to the likelihood, irregular drying caused the lacquer finish to crack. Irregular cracks in the stock wood is also prevalent with heavily salted wood.Take off action to verify if you like but I will eat crow if it doesn't show salt too. Would love to hear what you find.

If the pitting is not bad you can put a new stock on them for pretty cheap.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:16 PM
Purdue96

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wanted to follow up. They wouldn’t take the gun apart. Against company policy. Butt plate screws still won’t budge. I looked it over again and where touching wood no signs of rust. I offered a lot less and gave my reasons why. They budged a little but not enough for me. If still there in a month I’ll see if they want to unload it.