Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:01 PM
Shorty123
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dad's A-Bolt

I lost my Dad in 2016 at the age of 96 [WWII Vet] He had plenty of guns and I kept 4 of them. The A Bolt, 2 revolvers and a Model 70 25-06. They went in my safe and I shot the revolvers some but not the rifles. I am finally getting caught up some and decided to shoot the 22's some. I pulled out the CMP 40X, Marlin 60 and the Browning. The 40X and Marlin shot great. I was really disappointed in the Browning as I am used to my Win. 75 sporter as it shoots bug holes at 25. I then did the parallax test and saw the cross-hairs were dancing all over the bull. [Bushnell Sport View] I had a 4-12 Loopy laying in the safe that goes down to 25 yds. so I changed out scopes. A very big difference but still not the way I like it. I have a box of springs so I changed out the trigger spring and got it from 72+ oz. down to 38 oz. I shot it again this mornin in stiff winds and found the ammo it likes. Does not like SK, CCI SV, Federal Bulk. It does like Federal 711. I have heard that 714 is very similar to 711 and I hope so because I have a brick of that left. Still have other ammo's to try but not today. Anyway it was shooting bug holes at 25 if I did my part. I think it is a keeper. I torqued the action screws at 25. Does this sound about right? A picture of Dad's A-Bolt born 1987.
No 50 yd range but I do have a 100. Have to try that next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2737.JPG (247.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-24-2018, 03:17 PM
SillyMike
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice rifle!
Have yet to see a Abolt that could compete with a 40x, while shooting off a bench... But it sure is nicer to carry around in the wood hunting!

Safe shooting,
Mike
Old 09-24-2018, 04:54 PM
Shorty123

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyMike View Post
Nice rifle!
Have yet to see a Abolt that could compete with a 40x, while shooting off a bench... But it sure is nicer to carry around in the wood hunting!

Safe shooting,
Mike
No, I have no expectation of it shooting on par with the 40x.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2018, 05:42 PM
SillyMike
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have fun shooting it

I also got mine from my father, when he decided he needed to <upgrade> to a Gold-Medaillon.

Having matching firearms always made for interesting trip to the range... I miss those days, being a 10H drive away limits the opportunities
Old 09-28-2018, 12:26 PM
10ring1

TPC Rating: 
97% (58)
Gotta love the Abolt 22. Are beautiful guns and they handle well. And not only that it was your dad's gun. No matter how it shoots it looks like a keeper to me

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2018, 12:27 PM
10ring1

TPC Rating: 
97% (58)
BTW. I once had one that wouldn't shoot any standard velocity stuff well but it liked CCI subsonics.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk