LINUX - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:07 AM
lefty222
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)

As of last year, almost this time l was having problems with Windows 10 and it hasn't let me down still having the same problems now it's fine boot time 30 40 seconds compared to almost 2 minutes with a new update, you can get around a new update if you don't update cant turn off your computer, next update it starts all over again crashes on startup or freezes have to live with is for about a week or so.

My questions to those that are ushing LINUX l use Windows media player for storing my music and listening to it use pictures for storing pictures l do no office work with it l do use spell check or Grammarly and some time speech to text to help me along, us Firefox and chrome as my Browers l have simple needs. Speech to text is not working now because of the last update what else is new, so l will be looking into LINUX l have a spare new hard drive 1 TB or should l be looking into an SSD drive.

Let me know if LINUX will fill my needs l want a simple operating system don't want to play around in the bias in my PC

Which LINUX should l use? simpler the better.

I will do some youtube later.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:34 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I don't know about speech to text, or specific programs like Grammerly. But wordpocessing with spell check is handled by OpenOffice, which reads and writes Word files, pictures and music files are no problem. Firefox and Chrome both have Linux versions. I use Firefox for most everything.

Linux Mint v.19 is what worked for me. I followed the instructions in a YouTube video and put the OS on an SSD drive. Bootup is about 10 seconds.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2020, 11:39 AM
lefty222
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Did you install LUNIX MINT 19 using a USB jump drive and did you also install GIMP will be looking into an SSD drive gonna check with best buys I don't think l need one TB bite 500 gigabytes should do fine being there is not much to the operating system compared to Windows 10.
Music files and pictures do take up some space what is used new on my PC
Total used space without operating system my stuff 36 GB pictures music and downloads.
Total with the operating system and my stuff 70 GB
Free space left on hard drive---------------- -------- 930GB
500 GB should be fine?
Old 03-11-2020, 12:13 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Yes, to the first. Installed on a factory fresh SSD from a thumb drive. I used a modest sized SSD drive. 80 GB? Gimp runs no problem, but can take some getting used to if Photoshop is what you're used to.

Old 03-11-2020, 05:39 PM
marvin02

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This thread got me motivated to install Mint to dual boot with Win10 on one of my computers. It has certainly gotten easier than it used to be.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:56 AM
Jeremy B
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toppkatt View Post
Well, I had a bit of a problem after my last update. I can not get Firefox to work. Even using a cable to connect direct I could not get onto the net. When booted into the Windows 10 environment it worked fine even with the WiFi connecting, which tells me my hardware is okay. Now I just have to find out what went wrong with Firefox. Anyone having any problems? I MIGHT have to resort to reinstalling Linux Mint and risk losing some of my settings and fonts I downloaded. :-(
Maybe not. I'll try reinstalling Firefox first via the terminal.
Any help?
See if creating a new user helps any with Firefox. See what kernel you are using as I know 5.3.0-40 has caused some issues with networking
Old 03-16-2020, 10:15 AM
AgnessaGreek

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try Manjaro. I am using it with KDE plasma. Best distro, i ever seen. No troubles at all
Old 03-16-2020, 01:50 PM
Zorba
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What's the consensus on desktop environments these days? Ran KDE back in the day, would prefer something that doesn't look/act like a smartphone.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:58 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Mint 19 is indistinguishable from Windows in terms of the desktop. Very intuitive if you are used to Windoze

Old 03-16-2020, 04:03 PM
Zorba
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanx. I've used all sorts of GUIs, including Windows, Mac, Amiga, Apple ][, and several X-windows variants. They're all acceptable. What I don't want is the smartphone "inspired" (despired?) nonsense. Both Apple and Microsoft are moving in that direction. I don't want "flat" icons, crude square cornered graphics, hidden tool-tip menus (to an extreme), low contrast screens, etc. Dark themes are highly desired.

I'm going to give Mint a try on a VM - I keep hearing great things about it.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:07 PM
cosh
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MINT is nice, updates are straight forward. Using various flavors of Linux for 10 years. MINT has been trouble free and w OpenOffice/Libreoffice I can do 90% or more of my tasks. Not Quicken though. If you need that software, you need Windows or a Mac.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk