Garrow Firearms Development 17hmr locked bolt gas operated AR upper - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:19 AM
Arizona22shooter
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile Garrow Firearms Development 17hmr locked bolt gas operated AR upper

I will put pictures in here shortly, however right off the bat I want to say, WOW! Love this upper!

You can use any AR 15 lower, the magazines are same size as a 20 rnd magazine, however, take only 10 rounds. So California and other states legal!

Extremely accurate, have been having minor issues with the cci and federal fmj rounds, however, much of this is I think due to the case lots themselves.

Have run 5 different loadings (50+ rounds of each) from Hornady through Federal and CCI -

Accuracy is extremely good, stacked rounds on top of each other at 50 yards, and well under an inch at 100 yards - best groups were with the Hornady 17 grn vmax and the cci version as well as the various hollow point loadings. All minimum 5 round groups, most 10 rounds.

Will be updating with pictures, video links and more as I collate data, so at the moment, it has been better (reliability and accuracy than the Anderson upper and the out of the box Savage I have.)

Again, check out their site, and I will update more as I get it put together -trying to get full video, pictures and verify everything.

Fun action, smooth, no discernable poa shift when shooting! Not huge with any rimfire but, still very nice!

Jesse
Old 09-12-2017, 08:36 PM
wbunninh

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice! I'm looking forward to your further updates
Old 09-14-2017, 01:00 AM
Arizona22shooter
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A link to their site is here, ive been having fun with this ! They have great pictures however I want to show my 8 year old daughter enjoying it as well

https://garrowdev.com

Will be posting target pictures and video link soon-testing takes time and money have shot 450 rounds so far it definitely favors the ballistic tip and hollow point ammunition, have had no major issues, with anything, acccuracy is almost match grade. May shoot next rimfire match with this for kicks!

Last edited by Arizona22shooter; 09-14-2017 at 01:02 AM.

Old 09-17-2017, 03:34 PM
rolltide
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I'd like to hear more about it as well. I haven't heard of this company or upper before.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We got an upper in as well. It will be traveling with us to 5 states while we hunt varmints all over the southwest!

Needless to say, it will see a lot of action!

I look forward to your report as well, Jesse. We'll be in Northern AZ for about 5 days hunting all types of varmints during our trip.

Eric
Old 09-20-2017, 03:14 PM
Lastshot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like this, and more importantly, I like the price!!! FINALLY!!!
Old 10-05-2017, 11:39 AM
Arizona22shooter
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Mayer View Post
We got an upper in as well. It will be traveling with us to 5 states while we hunt varmints all over the southwest!

Needless to say, it will see a lot of action!

I look forward to your report as well, Jesse. We'll be in Northern AZ for about 5 days hunting all types of varmints during our trip.

Eric
Review was supposed to come out Monday, sadly recent events mean it would have been in poor taste. However, it will come out Monday the 9th at www.thesurvivalistblog.net
Old 10-05-2017, 11:45 AM
Arizona22shooter
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So quick blurb from article, sneek peak for everyone here.
1:9 twist, 18" a2 ss barrel, absolutely laser accurate!

Article will have pictures-

Quote:
What Mr. Garrow has done is create a method of allowing a type of round known for fluctuations in power with less expensive loadings and even in some more expensive designer cartridges from Hornady and Winchester to function almost flawlessly in a platform that the round was NOT designed to be used in. His design has not only allowed this to be done reliably, but also with accuracy typically only seen in the CZ bolt action 17hmr rifles currently available! For instance groups from a sandbag at 25 – 50 – 100 and 200 yards shot using 10 round groups had measurements rivaling 3 and 5 round groups from other rifles! At 25 and 50 yards none of the ammunition tested grouped larger than an inch and half overall. The ammunitions tested were Winchester., CCI and Hornady and consisted of several loadings from CCI with only one loading available at the time of the test for Hornady and Winchester. I will list the loadings used later on. At 100 and 200 yards I was getting my best groups (5 rounds) with ballistic and hollow point ammunition, at 100 yards all ballistic tipped ammunition was under 1 inch and at 200 yards only one grouping (CCI Green hollow point) was over 1.5 inches! The list of ammunition tested follows.
Winchester Varmint 17 grain 17hmr
CCI Green hollow point (I do not like green ammunition this test proved again why it is not well liked, unreliable and honestly extremely inaccurate given the platforms used.)
CCI TNT hollow point (amazing round! Ordered a case!)
CCI GamePoint 20 grain jacketed soft point (not accurate, not reliable not worth buying!)
CCI V-Max 17 grain polymer tip (very accurate and reliable!)
Hornady 17 grain V-Max (very accurate, not as reliable a loading as the CCI – same bullet being used!)
https://youtu.be/Pa5S11OODdY

https://youtu.be/Pa5S11OODdY

Full in depth article Monday the 9th, needless to say- highly recommend!

Last edited by Arizona22shooter; 10-05-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:06 PM
dufferDave

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona22shooter View Post
Review was supposed to come out Monday, sadly recent events mean it would have been in poor taste.
And I appreciate your sensitivity under these circumstances.

I am fairly certain you new product will sell very successfully any time you choose to offer it.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:31 PM
Arizona22shooter
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferDave View Post
And I appreciate your sensitivity under these circumstances.

I am fairly certain you new product will sell very successfully any time you choose to offer it.
I agree, Mr. Mike Garrow is an amazing designer!

Im just a shooter, and review editor

Thanks,

Jesse
Old 10-06-2017, 08:59 PM
Frank3

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Been waiting a Long time for a direct impingement 17 HMR upper.

A few questions.

1. I see that it is offer with an 18 inch barrel what would happen if you cut it down shorter?

Does that affect the amount of gas and wealth time needed for the roller Locker to function?

2. How often did you have to clean it to keep it running and how wet it is like to be to run?

Could it go 500 rounds without cleaning?

The price is very good I just wish the handguard was better looking. If I get one I will have to swap it out.

I took my wife out shooting my CZ 455 in 17hmr this week. She said she wants a 17 HMR for herself. Maybe I will give her that one and pick up one of these for myself
Old 10-06-2017, 10:44 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For folks who are in the SoCal area, Garrow will be at the Costa Mesa Gun Show this weekend. After hunting with their upper and shooting 100s of rounds at varmints over the past 10 days, I have to say that it was a joy to shoot and a great option for those looking to bypass the new CA AR15 rules.

More to come from us as well.

Eric
Old 10-08-2017, 07:00 AM
Arizona22shooter
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank3 View Post
Been waiting a Long time for a direct impingement 17 HMR upper.

A few questions.

1. I see that it is offer with an 18 inch barrel what would happen if you cut it down shorter?

Does that affect the amount of gas and wealth time needed for the roller Locker to function?

2. How often did you have to clean it to keep it running and how wet it is like to be to run?

Could it go 500 rounds without cleaning?

The price is very good I just wish the handguard was better looking. If I get one I will have to swap it out.

I took my wife out shooting my CZ 455 in 17hmr this week. She said she wants a 17 HMR for herself. Maybe I will give her that one and pick up one of these for myself
Like most AR uppers, direct gas impingment I would say that as long as it is cut above the gas port, you should be fine. "Should" as I have not done so myself. 18" gives me just a bit more accuracy.
16" should allow for full burn and still be past gas port. Obviously ensure a clean cut with positive crown detail afterwords.
It is locking bolt, so definitely contact Mr. Garrow regarding this possibility, may affect however, physics and mechanical design would suggest it is possible, certainly.

* currently over 1300 rounds through it now! I clean normally after every session, however, for testing let it go too where it began slowing, at which point I added some lubrication and ran some more.

For optimal preformance I cleaned every 500-600 rounds, and using ballistol cut with 10% water lubed in AM and shot through 650 rounds with know real non ammunition issues. Added a 3-4 drops too it at the 450 mark due to slowing, but no failure to function (Durn green ammo is difficult to gauge only tried rhe cci offering so possible other brands may get it better )

Wetter the better, however, wetter also means dirtier faster, balance this with a solid wipe down pre first shoot, secondary drips in typical AR spots with a bit more around bolt and you should be fine!

I shot exclusively in Arizona, non monsoon season, so very very dry! And it was amazing, ran like butter when kept clean and lubed up.

**handguard, at first I was put off, and than it grew on me! I love it now, using a bog pod (check out Mr Mayers article on varminter.com for this awesome accessory) I have been nailing the point of aim repeatedly, the handguard allows for a solid surface and using a bipod mounting stud kit ($10-$15 from midway, cheaper than dirt) and 7 minutes with a dremel/cordless drill you can have your favorite bipod mounted as well.

I have not drilled anything, however did on two other ARs with similar free float solid tubes, very easy to do.

Last edited by Arizona22shooter; 10-08-2017 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:01 AM
Arizona22shooter
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Mayer View Post
For folks who are in the SoCal area, Garrow will be at the Costa Mesa Gun Show this weekend. After hunting with their upper and shooting 100s of rounds at varmints over the past 10 days, I have to say that it was a joy to shoot and a great option for those looking to bypass the new CA AR15 rules.

More to come from us as well.

Eric

Cannot wait for report, doing some jack culling locally Monday, so

Something I talk about in review is for those states that can this firearm functioned very well with a suppressor! (Any rimfire .22/.24 cal will work). Regardless, it is a threaded barrel (1/228) for accessories so a solid option.

Last edited by Arizona22shooter; 10-08-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:55 PM
Frank3

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona22shooter View Post
Like most AR uppers, direct gas impingment I would say that as long as it is cut above the gas port, you should be fine. "Should" as I have not done so myself. 18" gives me just a bit more accuracy.
16" should allow for full burn and still be past gas port. Obviously ensure a clean cut with positive crown detail afterwords.
It is locking bolt, so definitely contact Mr. Garrow regarding this possibility, may affect however, physics and mechanical design would suggest it is possible, certainly.

* currently over 1300 rounds through it now! I clean normally after every session, however, for testing let it go too where it began slowing, at which point I added some lubrication and ran some more.

For optimal preformance I cleaned every 500-600 rounds, and using ballistol cut with 10% water lubed in AM and shot through 650 rounds with know real non ammunition issues. Added a 3-4 drops too it at the 450 mark due to slowing, but no failure to function (Durn green ammo is difficult to gauge only tried rhe cci offering so possible other brands may get it better )

Wetter the better, however, wetter also means dirtier faster, balance this with a solid wipe down pre first shoot, secondary drips in typical AR spots with a bit more around bolt and you should be fine!

I shot exclusively in Arizona, non monsoon season, so very very dry! And it was amazing, ran like butter when kept clean and lubed up.

**handguard, at first I was put off, and than it grew on me! I love it now, using a bog pod (check out Mr Mayers article on varminter.com for this awesome accessory) I have been nailing the point of aim repeatedly, the handguard allows for a solid surface and using a bipod mounting stud kit ($10-$15 from midway, cheaper than dirt) and 7 minutes with a dremel/cordless drill you can have your favorite bipod mounted as well.

I have not drilled anything, however did on two other ARs with similar free float solid tubes, very easy to do.
Good info!

500-600 rounds between cleaning is more than plenty. I can always run a bore snake or patch worm down it and lube the bolt in the field.

Few more questions if you have the time. Some I might have to email the company about but it doesn't hurt to check

1. what does the gas block look like and how far back is it located?

2. Is the gas block adjustable?

3. Will any charging handle work on the upper?

4. 22lr uppers can be hard on triggers or need stouter triggers than normal, what trigger are you running in this rifle?

5. What would you compare the accuracy to and how far have you stretched it out to? CZ, Ruger, Marlin, , savage, Anschutz?

6. Were you able to try some A17 ammo in it?

Super excited for tomorrow to read the whole review

PS what is their contact info?

It's not on their website

Last edited by Frank3; 10-08-2017 at 02:57 PM. Reason: contact info question