TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Some tips http://thedigitalcamera.net/fujifilm...-and-4k-video/
Old 03-01-2017, 05:43 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been studying on this whole thing for a couple of months now. Just when I decide I'm going to get the Canon 80D with the three exact lenses that I want.......mirrorless pops up. Even the professionals are debating this. Some say DSLRs will never be replaced.....others say they are already on their way out. I'm pretty sure that for most of our needs.....even those that make their living with a camera......either format can work fine.

Gotta have that through the lens view that only a DSLR offers......we then, why are all the top of the line DSLRs coming with screens. Screens....allow you to see exactly what your picture will look like....no surprises when you download and they have very fast touch adjustments. As far as speed of focus...the DSLRs are on top but not by much.....while the mirrorless cameras excel at video including this mysterious 4K....which I'm not sure what you watch that on to begin with. Then there is a wider variety of lenses for DSLRs and they offer full frame sensors.....yet a crop sensor model seems to be on equal footing picture quality wise unless you are blowing the pictures up to 8'. And....full frame mirrorless are cropping up everywhere....but, cropped sensors give you a bonus multiplication factor for your lenses....which make a 100mm lense effectively a 150mm lense and on and on and on. It's enough to make you pull your hair out.

Which is why I haven't been able to make up my mind yet. These things have gotten down to which Ruger MK series pistol outperforms the other MK pistols???

I'm down to the Canon 80D with a 50mm F1.4 for my prime, small, carry around lense. A 16mm to 35mm F 1.4 and then a mild telephoto up to say 200mm. All good lenses. This will run about $3500 I expect.......or.......the smaller Sony A7,II, S, R......A series full frame mirrorless cameras that run from $1200 to $3000 for the body. Again a very adequate supply of lenses exist that duplicate the ones I want for the Canon. The Sony is 1/2 the size of the Canon......but when you start slapping on big telephotos....these smaller cameras are no longer small. The A series are full frame, have an electronic viewfinder and screen of course.......

Just when I'm almost persuaded that is what I want.....the $600, 6000 or 7000 or whatever it is Sony series which has the next step down in size sensor, is an even smaller camera, has a pretty wide selection of exceptional lenses, gives you the advantage of longer focal length for any given MM telephoto.....well, I'm stuck.

OK, the $600 camera does not have five or even three axis stabilization....whatever that is....and I don't know if I really need it. All offer stabilization in the body or the lens.....all you have to do is be willing to pay for it. I don't have any existing lenses to worry about. The Sony has a lot of focus points....not as many as some of the high end DSLRs.....but, how many is enough?

I'm not to sure the guy with the good point and shoot isn't ahead of us all.....you sure won't take any pictures if you don't have your camera with you......and all of those adjustments.....that is going to take a good deal of time for me to benefit from them...DSLR or mirrorless. I did look at a $1000 Nikon point and shoot....oh man. DSLR, large and easy to hold, point and shoot....the mirrorless, not quite as good of a grip...but not bad. Good luck with it.....I'm going to get something.....soon. 1917
Old 03-01-2017, 06:39 PM
sweetmk
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
I'm not to sure the guy with the good point and shoot isn't ahead of us all.....you sure won't take any pictures if you don't have your camera with you......and all of those adjustments.....1917
I hate to throw a wrench into the equation,,, BUT,,,,,
my latest Samsung phone comes mighty close to the performance of my Nikon D7000,,, Hmmmmm

For posting pics on gun (or tractor) forums,, my phone,,, IS the answer.
The phone is bulletproof, always in my pocket,, and been in use continuously for 1 year now.
NO mirrorless/DSLR/point&shoot could take that abuse and survive a year.
AND,,, it only cost a little under $400

The phone will get in tight places,, and take a pic that none of the 3 others could,,,

This pic of moving precious cargo was taken from 150 feet away,,,

No way I would have had my DSLR with me on this trip to the top of the mountain,,,

Carry a DSLR while digging ditches??? NEVER!!

Just my opinion,,,
Old 11-28-2018, 12:50 AM
mje
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I sold my Nikon DSLRs a few years ago and switched to the Micro Four Thirds system. I have three Panasonic Lumix models, all purchased used from KEH.

I have a friend, a retired news photographer for a Detroit paper, who loves his Fuji, and another friend who thinks the Sony system is great.

Thing is, they’re all good. Given that most of use post most of our photos on the net, and rarely print anything, camera resolution isn’t a factor anymore, so long as you’re dealing with cameras with a decent sized sensor. Image quality is more about lens contrast and resolution.

I knew a guy who was photographing Formula 1 in the 1990s with a Nikon D1, the first Nikon DSLR. It had a resolution of 1.4 megapixels, and his photos were spread across the pages of the glossy F1 magazines.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:56 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
One question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mje View Post
I sold my Nikon DSLRs a few years ago and switched to the Micro Four Thirds system. I have three Panasonic Lumix models, all purchased used from KEH.
I'm pondering buying a Panasonic Micro Four Thirds, are they compatible with other Four Third lenses.

In short, I'd be buying a Panasonic body and Olympus or Nikon lenses.

Will they work together?

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Old 09-17-2019, 11:05 PM
mje

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COW 54 View Post
I'm pondering buying a Panasonic Micro Four Thirds, are they compatible with other Four Third lenses.

In short, I'd be buying a Panasonic body and Olympus or Nikon lenses.

Will they work together?

Nikon doesn’t make MFT lenses, so far as I know. All Olympus and Panasonic MFT camera bodies and lenses are functionally interchangeable. The only exception is for the older Panasonic MFT lenses with stabilization built into the lens. The stabilization system only works on Panasonic LUMIX cameras. All Olympus MFT cameras and all the newer LUMIX MFT cameras have the stabilization built into the body.

Just to clarify the language: Micro Four Thirds (MFT) and Four Thirds (FT) are related but different systems. FT is an older system not made any more. They use the same sensor size, but different lens mounts. FT lenses can be used on MFT bodies with an adapter, but MFT lenses cannot be adapted to FT bodies.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:31 AM
pilgrimwoman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Tom Stirr Photography

His website has change to SmallSensorPhotography.com
Great info & some stunning images.
Check it out....
Old 09-20-2019, 08:44 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mje View Post
Nikon doesn’t make MFT lenses, so far as I know. All Olympus and Panasonic MFT camera bodies and lenses are functionally interchangeable. The only exception is for the older Panasonic MFT lenses with stabilization built into the lens. The stabilization system only works on Panasonic LUMIX cameras. All Olympus MFT cameras and all the newer LUMIX MFT cameras have the stabilization built into the body.

Just to clarify the language: Micro Four Thirds (MFT) and Four Thirds (FT) are related but different systems. FT is an older system not made any more. They use the same sensor size, but different lens mounts. FT lenses can be used on MFT bodies with an adapter, but MFT lenses cannot be adapted to FT bodies.
Thanks for that.

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Old 10-08-2019, 12:29 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I bit!

Got this last week...

From KEH, body (excellent) and 2 lenses (excellent +) for it..

So far so good!

Last edited by COW 54; 10-12-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:32 PM
hcaroselli

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fuji X100. If you want interchangeable lenses Fuji XT2
Old 11-03-2019, 02:15 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I got another one. It takes good pictures

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020030 olympus pen.JPG (93.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg PB018645 PP duck.JPG (259.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg PA318592 cin mine outhouse-2.JPG (276.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg PA308554 lake boren.JPG (341.0 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by COW 54; 11-03-2019 at 05:33 PM.