Difference between 880SQ and 980V?? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-24-2005, 04:11 PM
SQUILL

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Difference between 880SQ and 980V??

A guy from MarlinOwners Forums tell me that the 880SQ have a match chamber counter to the 980V that didn't have it. I'm asking that cause in a store up here in Canada, they have one(880SQ) in sale for 350$ (380 regular cost) if my memory's good vs 300$ for the 980v. First i was thinking that is an error cause i always tought those two rifle was the same thing like 882SSV's models and now 982VS's models. Is this could make a big difference in accuracy??
Thanks

Last edited by SQUILL; 10-24-2005 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:01 PM
Hyunchback

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUILL
A guy tell me that the 880SQ have a match chamber counter to the 980V that didn't have it. I'm asking that cause in a store up here in Canada, they have one(880SQ) in sale for 350$ (380 regular cost) if my memory's good vs 300$ for the 980v. First i was thinking that is an error cause i always tought those two rifle was the same thing like 882SSV's models and now 982VS's models. Is this could make a big difference in accuracy??
Thanks
You may want to use the info contained in the sticky on this forum regarding the year of manufacture. The 880SQ is out of production so it's likely a used rifle. If it's not used it's been on the shelf for some time. I would print the instructions out and take them with you to compare against the serial number of the rifle for sale.

The match chamber only came on the earlier year models of 880SQs. I think one poster said it was the first or second year. I'll check the serial number on my 880SQ later tonight (been meaning to do that, anyway).

The fellow (from RFC) who sold it to me said it had a match chamber and the outward markings on it seem to coincide with what's been said about the early 880SQs vs. the later ones. There is also supposedly a difference in the rifling between the earlier vs. the later models. This had to do with a pair of screws near the muzzle of the barrel and a dovetail near the receiver. I've only got the one so I can't swear that there were any variations. This thread mentions some of these markings:https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ad.php?t=94795

One difference for sure will be the trigger. The 900 series has the latest "lawyer" trigger from Marlin and thus there may not be an aftermarket trigger kit for a 900 series firearm but there are plenty for the 800 series.

Is there anything else that would make the 880 on the rack worth more? Is there a scope coming with it? Any other accessories? Only the dealer could tell you the answer to these questions.

Arm yourself with knowledge, though so you know when you deal with him if the rifle does in fact have the match chamber.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:09 PM
sharpsman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, SOME m880SQ rifles had a match chamber.The first batch made in 1996, the year the m880SQ was introduced DID have a true match chamber.You can tell them at a glance as they have a sight dovetail cut in the rear of the barrel(with a filled block driven in) and two holes drilled and tapped at the top front of the barrel.You can also verify this by the serial number which wiill begins with "04".

The later guns are the same(even the rifleing)- only the chamber is a sporting dimension chamber. One real adavantage to the Sporting chamber is that rounds(especially CCI brand) are easier to chamber and extract unfired.

How much difference does the Match chamber make in terms of performance? Well, I recently got ahold of a Match Chambered 1996 m880 SQ to shoot alongside my 2002 Vintage Sporting chambered rifle.

Both rifles had scopes turned to 9x(parralax adjusted for 50 yards) and were shot off the bench at that distance.Both rifles had triggers set at about 2lbs.I shot two five shot groups in each of 7 different types of Match and High Velocity ammo-

Wolf MT
Federal 900B
Fiocchi 320M Biathalon Match
Remington Golden Bullet bulk pack HVHP
Winchester Dynapoint bulk pack
Federal Champion(Lightinings)
CCI Velocitors

The results were very intersting.In the Match chambered rifle, only the standard velocity match chamber ammo showed a clear accuracy advantage and ONLY the Fiocchi Biathalon Match ammo gave consistent sub half inch groups(.400") at 50 yards.The Sporting chambered gun did nearly as well with Remington HP loads(just over .5" average).The Sporting chambered gun also shot High velocity ammo quite a bit better than the Match chambered gun did.

The upshot of all this? Well, two guns does not prove much,but the total averages for the Match chamber m880 SQ and the Sporting chambered gun with ALL loads were .75" and .77" respectively.That friends, is less than the usual rifle to rifle difference between two IDENTICAL rifles off an assembly line made 6 years apart, let alone two with different chamber designs!! Both gross averages are pretty darn close to what one would find accross the board with most sub $500 sporting rifles, even CZ m452s.

As to the new m980V, IMHO it has the advantage of a better trigger /safety design being a 900 series rifle.Rifle Basix does make a trigger kit for the m900 guns and the internal geometry is the same as the older models.In Canadian dollars, both seem priced fairly for what they are(if the m880SQ IS a match chambered rifle).If that m880 does NOT have the barrel dovetail and a serial # that begins in 04, go with the m980V for sure because in that case, the newer gun is a better deal..

Last edited by sharpsman; 10-24-2005 at 05:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2005, 05:50 PM
SQUILL

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's not been a while that i'm in the ''shooting world'' but every time i read on forums (especialy american forums), i'm always impressed by the knowledge of you guys about rifles, especialy with technical questions like that and i learn alot from those forums. For the 880sq, suppose to be new one so i doubt that it's a match chamber but i will call the store to be sure(with the serial number)
Thanks a lot guys!
Old 10-24-2005, 06:06 PM
sharpsman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Squill,

You don't need the entire serial number- just the FIRST TWO digits-if it's an early one(1996) ,it will be marked starting in an "04"..
Old 10-24-2005, 09:13 PM
Hyunchback

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Photos

I decided, while I was giving my 880SQ a thorough cleaning, to shoot some images. First up is the Serial Number. I blurred a portion since only the first two characters are important (as Sharpsman pointed out).

Next is a shot of the screws at the end of the muzzle.

And last is a shot of the entire action. The first two digits of the serial number are not obscured. At the far left of the image the dovetail can be seen atop the barrel.

Hope the huge image sizes aren't a problem for folks.