Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:12 AM
BigYoung
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan View Post
Still looking for someone in the Gainesville, Fl area w/ tools to help me drill. I'll deal with getting the template, etc. and bring adult beverages
Ivan, the jig ships with the correct drill bit, all you need is a drill and a buddy to hold the receiver while you drill if you don't have a means to clamp it.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:40 PM
jkingrph
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigYoung View Post
Ivan, the jig ships with the correct drill bit, all you need is a drill and a buddy to hold the receiver while you drill if you don't have a means to clamp it.
I received it this afternoon and already have my two drilled, It's goof proof. I slipped a piece of lumber in to protect my bolt, stuffed a little paper towel in and drilled with out removing the bolt.

BigYoung I see your address as Laplace, La and Fairfield, Tx. I work occasionally as a relief pharmacist in Brookshire Bros in Fairfield. I live over in Jacksonville, Tx and still have a house in W. Monroe, La.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:06 PM
Zen900

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The 22LR barrel hardly ever needs cleaning. Is this really necessary drilling a hole in a perectly good receiver? Buy a Bore Snake or get some weed whacker line and just drag a cleaning pad through the barrel if you must. I personally don't clean 22LR barrels. Years ago match shooters hardly ever cleaned 22LR barrels.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:19 PM
Steve Dallas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The chamber and leade do require regular scrubbing to prevent the dreaded carbon/lead ring from building up there. That ring causes cold bore fliers and general inconsistency in accuracy.

With this solution, one can use a bronze brush on a pistol rod to scrub the buildup out of that area, then use a bore mop to clean up the resultant crud. This can be done without cleaning the bore itself and removing the desirable 'seasoning'.

Personally, I scrub the area, then pull a bore snake through, because I have found the idea of never cleaning a .22 to be a myth in my own accuracy testing. Cleaner turns out to be more accurate, even though my grandfather told me the opposite, and I believed him for 30 odd years.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:02 PM
Zen900

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvnscott View Post
The chamber and leade do require regular scrubbing to prevent the dreaded carbon/lead ring from building up there. That ring causes cold bore fliers and general inconsistency in accuracy.

With this solution, one can use a bronze brush on a pistol rod to scrub the buildup out of that area, then use a bore mop to clean up the resultant crud. This can be done without cleaning the bore itself and removing the desirable 'seasoning'.

Personally, I scrub the area, then pull a bore snake through, because I have found the idea of never cleaning a .22 to be a myth in my own accuracy testing. Cleaner turns out to be more accurate, even though my grandfather told me the opposite, and I believed him for 30 odd years.
But drilling a hoe in your receiver? Geez! That's a new one on me. But people cover themselves in tattoos now so what do I know?
Old 09-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Steve Dallas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen900 View Post
But drilling a hoe in your receiver? Geez! That's a new one on me. But people cover themselves in tattoos now so what do I know?
Some people REALLY don't want to clean from the muzzle end and really don't want to disturb the bore. The hole doesn't hurt anything. To each his own.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen900 View Post
most of the aftermarket receivers such as KIDD, PWS, Tactical Innovations, etc. come with this cleaning hole drilled in them
Old 09-12-2014, 09:19 PM
Zen900

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvnscott View Post
Some people REALLY don't want to clean from the muzzle end and really don't want to disturb the bore. The hole doesn't hurt anything. To each his own.
Well ok if you say so but what about the good looking chicks with tattoos on their necks?
Old 09-12-2014, 09:39 PM
Steve Dallas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I was at Twin Peaks with my wife a few months ago, and this very nice looking young lady had a pair of swallows tatted on her boobs. We found her rather annoying, and she would not stop chatting us up about nothing interesting to a couple in our 40s, so I finally asked her how she felt about those swallows turning into pelicans in a few short years. That worked pretty well. I think she spat in my beer.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Jaxshooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just wanted to say thanks again for the use of the jig. I got it on Friday evening and did both guns Saturday. I felt bad because I could not ship it back until Tuesday 9-2-14 because of Labor Day holiday.
Chris
Jay, FL
Old 10-06-2014, 08:53 AM
jkingrph

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxshooter View Post
Just wanted to say thanks again for the use of the jig. I got it on Friday evening and did both guns Saturday. I felt bad because I could not ship it back until Tuesday 9-2-14 because of Labor Day holiday.
Chris
Jay, FL
You can only do what you can do. I got it on a Friday afternoon and quickly drilled my two, and could have taken it in and shipped it out the same day had the post office delivered earlier and had I gotten the name and address to forward it. As it turned out it was later Sunday before I got an e mail with the forwarding addresss, so it went out Monday. When I received it I sent an e mail and was told to hold onto it as at that time there was no one else on the list
Old 11-23-2014, 06:03 PM
jcrowleyiv
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (83)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxshooter View Post
Chris
Jay, FL
Jay -

Thank you very much for caring!!! As has been reported, the demand for them comes and goes - seems like just having one circulating is about right most of the time but we have some spikes in interest that requires me to either increase wait time or send out multiples that are likely to just be returned to me after a single use.

The VAST majority of the participants have been quite responsive and have turned the jig around quite quickly. Unfortunately, I have not lately been able to be on the site multiple times a day, or even daily - so there have been some rare instances of someone not having the next address at the precise time that they finished their drilling - again, my apologies for anyone's inconvenience.

I believe many would be very surprised at the amount of time that is required to manage the logistics regarding this project. Each of the 265+ users require a minimum of 5 PMs for each destination - and that assumes everything moves perfectly - any troubles/delays along the way and that number of messages increases exponentially. I continue to be amazed how wonderfully responsive and caring the majority of people of RFC have been - and how genuinely appreciative recipients have been.

Thank you all for your participation in making this a very successful project!!!!!

Two years and still going.............

John
That is why it is called "the present".
Old 02-21-2015, 05:59 PM
jcrowleyiv

TPC Rating: 
100% (83)
C'MON GUYS - ONLY ONE STATE LEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread was started on November 13, 2012 - Since that time the jigs have found their way into the hands of no fewer than 292 RFC members, have drilled no fewer than 459 receivers, have visited 49 states and have traveled 340,374 miles.

LINK TO ORIGINAL THREAD: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...43#post5128243

States yet to visit: NH

Last edited by jcrowleyiv; 04-05-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:39 PM
jcrowleyiv

TPC Rating: 
100% (83)
*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*! YIPPEE !*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!

Congratulations to the Drilling jig thread for having visited all the 50 states in the 846 days this project has been active

Since November 13, 2012 the jigs have been circulated to no fewer than 309 members!!!!

They have drilled no fewer than 479 receivers!!!

The jigs have cumulatively traveled over 352,344 miles - to put that into perspective - that would be 14.15 times around the Earth at the Equator -OR- 1.48 times to the moon!

Last edited by jcrowleyiv; 04-05-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:02 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Wheeeew! I thought I was going to have to call those N.H. guys a bunch of slackers. Then people would have gotten mad.

Sophia would have had to have a "talk" with me... She can really throw the shame trip on you. It is so hard being a moderator!!

Boy am I glad that thing made it to N.H.!! Saved me!

I guess I should not say I have never drilled ANY 10/22 for a cleaning hole huh?

Those darn Patch Worms are just SO handy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk