Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Kevin6q

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
7-4 action screw thread

I'm building a new stock and want to use new action screws. I purchased some M6x.75 bolts from Fastnal with the intent of cutting what I need, brazing on a new "head" and then slotting this to take a screw driver. The the .75 threads are still too course. Any idea of the 7-4 threading and if they are available anywhere? Thanks, Kevin
Old 05-21-2010, 06:33 PM
Eastside Ptarmigan
US Coast Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I just checked my BB and they're definitely M6-.75... Same size on my CM-2. Did Fastnal send you M6-1 by mistake?

J & P (site sponser) may have something off the shelf that will work for you, I'm planning on contacting them for some new screws for my BB in the near future. They will also make some screws to your specs but that may take some time if they're in the middle of a production run.

Does your 7-4 have the floppy front take down screw?

Sean
Old 05-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Kevin6q

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sean,
Fastenal did send the wrong pitch. I stopped in at the hardware store and threaded on an M6 x 1 nut. I'll make the swap and try again.

If any one else has differing info on the thread pitch, please jump in.

My 7-4 has the floppy front threaded piece which I assume is some sort of recoil lug. Does this make a difference in the threading?

I checked the J&P site and found nothing. Keep me/the group in the loop on the action screws if you have them made. I'd be in for a few spares. The idea of losing one just bums me out. I've thought of rethreading the holes to an M^x1 to make it an off-the-shelf fix and not a search for an oddball part.

Last edited by Kevin6q; 05-21-2010 at 07:20 PM. Reason: incomplete answer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Jetmugg

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
M6 x .75 screws are VERY hard to find. I don't think that McMaster, Fastenal, or MSC has them (they may have 1 or 2 configurations in very short lengths)

J&P does have them - they are the same diameter and pitch as Anschutz 54 target actions.

Strangely, thread cutting dies in M6x.75 are not nearly as difficult to find as the screws themselves.

I recently cut a 1/4 x 20 bolt in a lathe, turned a short section of the shank, then threaded it for M6 x 0.75.

SteveM.

I would not recommend rethreading to M6 x 1.0, since there will not be enough stock to get completely "clean" threads when you are done.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:14 AM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Excellent Info

Great information Jetmugg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmugg View Post
... J&P does have them - they are the same diameter and pitch as Anschutz 54 target actions...

Strangely, thread cutting dies in M6x.75 are not nearly as difficult to find as the screws themselves.

I recently cut a 1/4 x 20 bolt in a lathe, turned a short section of the shank, then threaded it for M6 x 0.75....
I STICKIED your post:

Sticky: BI-7-3 & BI-7-4 Biathlon Rifles
BI-7-4 Action Screws ... J&P does have them - Jetmgg
Old 06-08-2010, 01:22 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmugg View Post
... J&P does have them - they are the same diameter and pitch as Anschutz 54 target actions....
J&P Custom Products, LLC
Quote:
We are an email based company.
If you require a telephone call,
please email us your telephone number
and we will return your call as soon as possible.
Contact Us