Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Cheap accurate ammo

4K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  shoey 
#1 ·
Hey guys recently got into target shooting with my modified 10/22 and what works well in my gun seems to be Winchester power points.. i can surgically remove squirrels out of the tallest oaks on average shoot consistant .500 groups at 100 yds with mt Butler creek barreled ruger with off the shelf 500 round bricks..Jamesgem

#6 ·
I have a stash of the Australian Power Points from a few years back--they shoot extremely well, but I've only tried 'em at 50 yards and 25 yards. They'd do 1/2" now and then at 50 from a Wilson barreled Ruger I had--at 25 they shot very well.
Is your barrel threaded into the receiver and do you have a tuner on the rifle. Is it full length bedded?

#7 ·
Different Ammo

I have tried several top of the line ammo.. Tenex gives me 3/4 inch groups with an occasional flier, I have some Lapua Midas L and midas M, And scormax Have not had any fit weather to shoot it though . either its too windy or its raining, darn the luck Its too expensive to just shoot it up.. got about a hundred dollars worth of different ammo..I was dissapointed in the tenex as i was told it was the best. 12 dollars a box The Best Ammo i have shot is no longer in production, got .300 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yds with Federal Ultra match UM1 got all i can get and 13 boxes still looking, saving it for competition.. my scope is a BSA Platinum 6X24X44 AO LOve my Harris Bipod.. My dad did not believe me, untill he watched me shoot.. My brother shot against me with his cz and was not even close as far as the group sizes, timed each shot 55 seconds apart, shoots best after 20 rounds thru a clean bore that has been Molly preped, dont know if it matters much.. No special bedding has been done, just a synthetic Butler creek stock with a heavy barreled stainless match grade barrel, Vq seer and Hammer, I done the work myself.. as i am a tool and die maker by trade Hope you can get yours to do this..May have been a lucky break.. oh I'll give you the lot Numbers..on the Winchester PP ammo 1UC12N I wish i could scan my targets but my scanner is busted.. I Think i can compete with this thing, Practice is the Key word..Jamesgem

#10 ·
lol
, I quess I should just quit!!! got me a good bolt gun ,,,spent a small $$$ fortune in different lots and bullet makers, and I still can't get .3 at 50 yards on a regular basis. granted I have shot smaller than .3 but I can't duplicate it any time I want!! I must take my hat off to ya !!!

#17 ·
No one said I could do that consistently....its usually more open than that....that was a lucky group...although the other day I was knocking 12 gauge shells off while they lay on their sides with some consistency.....in no way did I mean I could put 3 on a quarter consistently....havent duplicated it yet, dont know how it happened....although my buddy did it the other day at 25....he couldnt do it again, either....gotta be lucky sometimes...

shoey

#18 ·
Jamesgem1 said:
Hey guys recently got into target shooting with my modified 10/22 and what works well in my gun seems to be Winchester power points.. i can surgically remove squirrels out of the tallest oaks on average shoot consistant .500 groups at 100 yds with mt Butler creek barreled ruger with off the shelf 500 round bricks..Jamesgem
.5's at 100 yards with a 10/22 huh?

I noticed that measurement went down to .3's in a later post, I do believe.
Tell me, has the bolt been worked?
Pin staked?

Anyone can shoot a .5 at 100 yards "once in a while."
Wait .....I mean "once in a great while"
But consistantly??? Are you saying this rifle shoots .3's and 5's consistanly at 100?

Im also under the impression this was shot indoors, with a constant temperature, or in a tunnel
from a machine rest eliminating all human error, thus leaving you at the mercy of ammo consistancy.

Forgive me, this is a hard one to swallow

#21 ·
Well, I scanned my target from this morning in, but I cant figure out how to post...anyways, I was shooting Blazers again at 25 yards and put 4 out of 9 groups inside a quarter (I traced the quarter around the groups)....I was shooting off my arm resting on a log....it wasnt freehand, but its not perfect either. So I tried to post the proof, but dont know how on this site. I did remove the barrel band from my gun, seemed to help it a little, but not very noticably...other than that, the gun is still a stock carbine.

#23 ·
I was reviewing my targets shot last summer at 100 yds. ... And granted I didn't have many, because I only shoot at that distance when conditions are just right ... I found only two that measured "quarter size", for the most measured from 1 1/8" to 1 1/2" .... Those were the best .... Those were shot with a Walther mod. 500 "running boar" and Martini Mk2 using Wolf ME ammunition ..

Quarter size groops at 100 yds. aren't bad ,,,,,, 15/16" ?

#24 ·
I've learned many things on this forum, especially concerning the 10/22. But the single most impressive thing I've learned is that even though I shoot about two bricks of .22 ammo per month, I must be one of the least accomplished marksmen on here. Funny, I wasn't that bad when I was in the military back in '72-'76. I guess doing all this shooting has worn me out. Glen

#26 ·
Well, I finally figured out how to post my pictures, now I just have to get em transferred to my computer from my dad's, who has the scanner.....within a week or two, I'll post my groups...granted, they were only 25 yard groups, but I was pretty impressed for a bone stock 10/22....so stay tuned folks, the proof is in the pudding...err pictures, and they're on the way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.