CM-2 Pictures - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:36 AM
Charlotte
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
CM-2 Pictures

Old 06-22-2009, 06:03 AM
Charlotte

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
I hope you guys like these pictures of my CM-2. I use the Anschutz rear sight and Gehman adjustable iris with color and polarizer filters when I'm using the sight extension tube on which I have an anschutz globe with Gehman adjustable aperture.
When I don't use the tube I revert back to the Russian sights front and rear but the selection of inserts was inadequate. With a fingernail file I was able to take a very small amount of diameter off the champchoice plastic inserts to make them fit perfectly in the front globe and I love the plastic inserts. Sunlight coming in on top of the globe comes through the edge of the plastic insert and interferes with the sight picture and is easily corrected by putting a piece of tape (camo) over the slot.
I didn't like the accessory rail that came with the rifle because no handstop would fit it so I replaced it with a champchoice rail and now use the handstop in photo. The bipod is also from champchoice and is used strictly to rest the rifle on between stages in matches.
The discipline of shooting prone is very challenging and when shooting with aperture sights cheek pressure is different when switching from 50 to 100 yds unless you have an adjustable cheek piece so that you can have EXACTLY the same cheek pressure and eye alignment as your sights go up and down. The cheekpiece hardware is from Masterclass stocks and I did the instalation myself. In hot and humid weather when your face is wet with sweat and oily as well your face wants to slide on the cheekpiece so I used double face tape and applied tennis overgrip I purchased from a local sporting goods store. It is very comfortable and absorbs moisture and prevents slipping and sliding. Learned this from the guys at the USAMU.
Maintaining position in the shoulder is difficult in a 20 minute stage but with the MEC adjustable alloy buttplate it stays put and is much more comfortable than the stock buttplate. Below is another pic of the rear stock and butt plate.

Last edited by Charlotte; 06-22-2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:19 AM
Charlotte

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
I forgot to mention that this rifle shoots EXTREMELY well. Last July I bought a brand new Anschutz 1907 and it will not shoot as well as this rifle. After a year of shooting the 1907 I'm back to the CM-2 and quite happy to be back with it. I'm certain my scores will improve very quickly as I get used to shooting the Russian again. Near the end of Saturdays match I finally figured out my shooting position with this as opposed to the Annie. I require more angle with the CM-2 and more straight on with the Annie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2009, 06:20 AM
aprayinbear

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Amazing

Charlotte,

That's one beautiful rifle. Great job and thanks for posting the pics!
Old 06-22-2009, 12:18 PM
tim slater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
Near the end of Saturdays match I finally figured out my shooting position with this as opposed to the Annie. I require more angle with the CM-2 and more straight on with the Annie.
Out of interest does the Anschutz have a shorter pull length? Your CM2 looks to have spacers between butt and buttplate, which would suit a wider position. Very interesting to see what can be done with a little work.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Charlotte

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
The pull length is fully adjustable on the 1907. I'm removing one spacer before I shoot the CM-2 again
Old 06-22-2009, 04:23 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Modified CM-2 or More Sophisticated Rifle

It is certainly evident you've made improvments to your CM-2.

Perhaps, your next rifle should be a URAL-5-1, URAL-6-2 Small-Bore Sporting Rifles.

It makes me sad that these rifles are not currently being imported.
If a Russian rifle shooter wishes to make the logical progression
to a more sophisticated rifle ... little or no choice exists.

But, this situation maybe changing ... Possible importing of new Ural 5-1 and 6-2 models.

By the way, what size of insert are you using in the globe of your CM-2?
Old 06-22-2009, 06:20 PM
Charlotte

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
I bought the standard 18mm inserts and filed them down with a fingernail file. Only takes a minute. The set was $20 and I already had the nail file.;o)
As far as the size of the aperture itself I prefer 3.0 but several of my shooting friends use 2.8. It's a personal preference how much white you want around the bull. I spent several sessions at the range just shooting at one aperture size and then switching to another and compared my results to determine what works best for me. With 2.8 I shoot well enough but my 9's are wide compared to using the 3.0.
If I'm using the 6 inch sight extension I open up to 3.3 or 3.4 depending on whether I'm shooting NRA conventional targets or UIT metric. The metric bull is slightly larger even if you get the 50 yd reduced 50 meter target so it will affect how much white you have around the bull.

Last edited by Charlotte; 06-22-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:27 PM
midwest swiss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That looks great.....Charlotte
A rifle tricked out just for you. Nice job.
I an near-sighted and the frnt. sight looks great with out glass but can't
make out the black target. The if I use my glass its the opposites.
I think I need some custom bi-focals.
Is that sight extension clamp aluminum right.

Swiss

Last edited by midwest swiss; 06-22-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:43 PM
mrmosin

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Looks VERY nice. I am working on something similar, but not at all as nice as yours. Kinda wishing you would send it to me to look at for awhile, maybe shoot a little
Old 06-23-2009, 05:34 AM
Charlotte

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
Swiss, you are correct, the clamp is aluminum and also from ChampChoice.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Charlotte

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
Our club here had a picnic and the smallbore group put on a demo match. My daughter took these during the match. I'm shooting in the middle with my CM-2. The second photo gives you a peek at my ammo block and timer.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:08 PM
midwest swiss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thats some cool pictures.
How long have you been shooting in prone match's Charlotte
Looks like fun. I shot some informal Mini-Palma 200 yard matches one summer
in the 90's. There was about 5 or 6 of us and one of them was on the real Palma team
that went to South Africa. He was the local shooting legend and told some neat stories.
We were all shooting .22 Lr's some were Old 40X's, BSA and some hi end Anschutz's.
It was a good time.

Last edited by midwest swiss; 06-23-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:57 AM
LonePine

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice rifle and setup Charlotte.

I have just started position shooting with my CM2. Position shooting starts to sort the men from the boys - Oops, or should i say shooters from the rest (sorry Charlotte!)

I shoot the metric target, 50 metres and a 3.2mm aperature seems to do the trick
Old 06-24-2009, 05:04 AM
tim slater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Charlotte,

If your position with the CM2 seems wider, then it must be quite straight with the 1907! As said above, nice position, looks well balanced.

2.8-3.0 would be very small by UK norms. We do use the UIT targets exclusively, but even so 3.6-4.0 is recommended, as it allows more "clean" light around the target, as the inner edge has a fringe of refracted "broken" light around. Still it's a personal choice, and if a smaller element works, stick with it. I use a 4.8 (6in tube and Anschutz 27in barrel).