Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Want to get started

5K views 50 replies 17 participants last post by  earnest 
#1 ·
Have been thinking about going into rimfire benchrest shooting for awhile. I ran into two guys at the range with their rifles practicing with their rifles last weekend. We talked a bit about what is involved in the sport and they let me shoot their rifles. It didn't take long and I really, really wanted to get one of those rifles and maybe try to compete if I can get good enough.

I am finding out that a lot of equipment is needed and it is going to cost more money than I originally thought it would.

I was going go to the local matches to see about maybe finding a used rifle and other equipment from other shooters. But I found that only one more local match is scheduled for this season. So that probably will not work. I don't know where to look unless maybe GunBroker has a good used benchrest rimfire I can pick up.

Then there is all of the other equipment. I will have to learn everything.

#6 ·
No, I have been shooting for many years. Never in any formal competition. Only between friends. All of my shooting was for the enjoyment of shooting. Most of it was with rimfire weapons. I did shoot so much when I was young that I got pretty good at putting the bullet exactly where I wanted and that was fun. I would enjoy being able to do that again.

Look at Benchrest Central classifieds, and Rimfire Accuracy for sale. They generally have a nice used rifle or two.

Gerry
Thank you. I will check them out.

Where are you located? That will determine what some of your options are.

I live north of Nashville, Tennessee

Also, you won't need to get good enough to compete. You'll compete to get better. No one will judge you when you start out.
I hope you are correct. I would hate to embarrass myself to much.

At least you haven't picked up any of the bad habits.
Hopefully the other shooters can train me to do the correct things instead of picking up any of those bad habits.

#7 ·
Check out the ARA (American Rimfire Association) and see if there's a club in your area that holds ARA matches.
Also, since your just getting started, look into the factory class. It would be a way to get started in bench rest at a much lower price point, and in my opinion, just as much fun as the unlimited guys have.

#10 ·
Nice rifles but crazy $$$$ for a guy just starting out. Matches both north and south of Nashville some still shooting. Best way to go is attend several and get a feel for what is going on. ARA Indoor Nationals in Cedartown GA. would be the ultimate source for equipment and information. First weekend in December.

#9 · (Edited)
You are in a good location for matches. Bowling Green is probably your closest place and they run both factory and unlimited matches. You also have matches in Paducah and Mayfield, KY.

There is also a match they run at Henry County which may not be too far, but it isn't ARA.

Expectations are the key question. And Budget. I am south of Nashville in Chapel Hill and would be glad to show you some options if you want to know more. You need to take into consideration everything in addition to the rifle itself if you really want to complete. I am talking things like rests, flags, etc. They also add up quick. You can get by on a budget, so don't think you can't shoot unlimited without spending $5000.

#11 ·
If you want to shoot unlimited we have a match at Green River next Saturday. If the factory class interested you we have a match this Sunday. Either way, if you stop by and want to shoot I can make sure there is something there for you to shoot. Eagle Eye shouldn't be too far away and they have a few more matches scheduled this year as well. Additionally, through the winter some of us crazy guys meet at Green River on most Sunday mornings to keep in touch and keep in practice.

#13 ·
Take a look in the classifieds on here. There is a Suhl 150 for sale. I know this rifle and have shot it. Very accurate and has a great trigger. If you think you want to shoot unlimited a good choice to start with. If you decide you do want to shoot, be prepared to spend a few thousand bucks to get what you need to have to start. Rifle, tuner, scope, rings, flags and stands, front and rear rest or a one piece for more money. Ammo testing and purchase of what the the rifle prefers. Having a good place to practice is a big plus.
Go to one of the shoots and just watch, ask questions, look at what these folks are using and how their benches are setup. You’ll see folks that enjoy what their doing and are very good at it. Everyone of them started where you are now.
Good luck
Kiddshooter

#17 ·
Take a look in the classifieds on here. There is a Suhl 150 for sale. I know this rifle and have shot it. Very accurate and has a great trigger. If you think you want to shoot unlimited a good choice to start with. If you decide you do want to shoot, be prepared to spend a few thousand bucks to get what you need to have to start. Rifle, tuner, scope, rings, flags and stands, front and rear rest or a one piece for more money. Ammo testing and purchase of what the the rifle prefers. Having a good place to practice is a big plus.
Go to one of the shoots and just watch, ask questions, look at what these folks are using and how their benches are setup. You'll see folks that enjoy what their doing and are very good at it. Everyone of them started where you are now.
Good luck
Kiddshooter
Do you know who chambered that rifle, and what reamer they used? (No dog in this hunt)

Gerry

#18 ·
Gerry,
I'm sorry i don't know. If I remember correctly the rifle does best with Lapua and some of the SK offerings. There is another Suhl for sale on Rimfire Accuracy that has a nice benchrest stock on it. It is about the same price. I know Bill Calfee was very high on the Suhl's for barrels and triggers in a factory rifle. The one for sale on here belongs to a shooting buddy of mine, so I have a little first hand knowledge on it. Is it as accurate as my Turbo, Shilen, McMillan rifle built by John Langley, no but it is a lot less money to spend to get into the sport and see how you like it.
Personally, I'm convinced there are a ton of really accurate rifles being used in ARA. The folks I see shooting the higher scores have been doing it for a long time, have great rifles and one piece rests and what they're best at is doping the wind.
JMHO
Jim

#22 ·
Wildphil, the 40x is a great action, the locking lugs must be fitted and lapped to insure variation in small changes to primer variation. longer actions or those with 1 locking lug have a problem that minor variations in peak pressure results in barrel amplitude variation. so even when selecting actions with shorter, stouter 2 locking lugs both must have contact it's is a must. higher frequency vibrations are baked in. what's not baked in is what I call barrel time and how the barrel is pulled to a different shape. suhl's cz, anschutz or any single locking lug or any 2 lugs that aren't in precise contact is not and never will be the answer to precession shooting.... marty

#25 ·
As I look into rifles a bit. I have a question that I have not been able to find the answer online yet.

If I were to purchase a Walter or Anschutz and decide to install a new barrel for it. Do the barrel makers normally make replacement barrels for these rifles? I have not noticed online where they list the actions that they are available for. I know that I could call the companies and find out. But am hoping you all would not mind informing me of that information.

#29 ·
No matter what you buy it will always be a crap shoot in how it performs straight out of the gate. That's just the way things are. I have an Anschutz and a few M52's and even a 40X at one time. They were all pretty darn accurate rifles, but not at the custom rifle level. Accuracy wise it's a toss up right now between my 2013 Anschutz and my Winchester 52E model. I am sure I am the weak link in breaking the tie, but the point is no rifle is guaranteed to shoot well until it is put on paper by the person who is going to use it.

Rick H.

#33 · (Edited)
Wildphil, we already know without debate that a barrel of 24.750 +or- 30 thou is the optimum barrel length followed by 26.5 by the same plus or minus based on higher frequency vibrations at exit time regardless of tunining to a stopped muzzle or positive compensation. that is baked into rimfire bench shooting. what's not is barell amplitude or where the barrel is pointing at exit time. that's where the action, stock, recoil all come into play. marty

#39 ·
The clubs closest to me use ARA rules so the 40x and 52 shooter would have to shoot with the unlimited group.

I have decided to go with a CZ 457 varmint MTR. I have noticed many others are using this rifle, hope that is a good sign that it is very competitive. I do like a light trigger. Are there kits made to lower the trigger beyond the factory limit?

#42 · (Edited)
#48 ·
Just some advice learned through experience. Buy the best equipment you can possibly afford. If you don't have the money initially, save until you do and then make your purchase. The old saying is "buy once, cry once". I can almost assure you that buying "cheap" will cost you more in the long run. If you buy quality gear from the get-go, you can often recoup much of your investment should you decide to leave the sport, through the sale of good equipment you no longer need. Go to matches and observe various rests, flags, etc. ASK QUESTIONS. Take notes on your observations to aid in final choices. Also, check the rules of any sanctioning bodies in which you might choose to participate. For example, some organizations do not allow the use of one piece rests. If you bought one, you couldn't participate in some of their matches. Good luck with your shooting sports future. Most important of all-- shoot often and HAVE FUN !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.