Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-24-2021, 08:43 AM
wpshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Non-marring covers for vise jaws

Need some non-marring covers for vise jaws which will allow me to hold gun parts securely while I work on them yet will not scratch or mar them in the process.

Should I look for pads which can be used to temporarily replace the factory jaws on the vise (by taking the factory jaws off and screwing on replacement jaw/pads) or should I look for pads that will just fit/slip over top of the factory jaws. Which is best for working on gun parts ?

Recommendations of specific covers/pads to consider appreciated.

My vise has 5" jaws.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:14 AM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have these, they are for 4.5" but you can find all sizes on Amazon, eBay, etc. They don't have "sides" so they would work on larger vice jaws as well. They have magnets so they snap onto the existing jaws.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FT2QTDA
Old 03-24-2021, 10:43 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I've used copper jaw caps for years WP shooter. The ears bend down over the top and can be added or removed whenever you want https://www.amazon.com/Wilton-24407-.../dp/B001HWAHK8

Eflyguy's suggestion of the poly jaws with magnets might work better with fragile blued barrels.

A simple field expedient is leather. I save old car washing chamoises. Cut up and doubled or tripled they make a good protective barrier between the work and the steel vise jaws.

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2021, 12:25 PM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good point on the leather!

I have several scraps of soft leather that work well with the wooden vice on my bench to hold stocks without damaging the finish. The synthetic covers I posted will mark the finish of wood.

My gun bench is from Harbor Freight

Old 03-24-2021, 12:31 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Ha! I've got 3 of those Harbor Freight butcher block benches Eflyguy. 1 in my gun room and 2 pushed together in the craft room.

Great work benches and you used to be able to catch them on sale for $99. They gone up a bit but still a good value. https://www.harborfreight.com/60-in-...nch-63395.html

Frank
Old 06-13-2021, 01:22 PM
Ol' Harry
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I cut two pieces of soft pine 1 X 4 to fit between the vise jaws. I cut out a notch so the pieces will rest on the traveling square tubing of the traveling jaw. Now they will stay in place so my hands are free. Using hide glue, I attach two pieces of leather to the inside surfaces of each piece of wood.

Take efforts to keep the leather surfaces clean and clear of wood chips, metal filings, and other debris which might mar a wooden or blued surface.
Old 06-14-2021, 04:05 PM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I make mine using either steel or aluminum angle and gluing vegetable tanned leather to them. They last forever. Keep them clean and they are non-marking.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:31 PM
BR54
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got mine from Brownell's, but couldn't find them now.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:24 PM
Atonic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Drop buy a Hobby Lobby and pic up a pack of leather scraps for cheap.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:54 PM
Bradical
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpshooter View Post
Need some non-marring covers for vise jaws which will allow me to hold gun parts securely while I work on them yet will not scratch or mar them in the process.

Should I look for pads which can be used to temporarily replace the factory jaws on the vise (by taking the factory jaws off and screwing on replacement jaw/pads) or should I look for pads that will just fit/slip over top of the factory jaws. Which is best for working on gun parts ?

Recommendations of specific covers/pads to consider appreciated.

My vise has 5" jaws.

Thanks.
I went to a local leather shop and asked if I could buy a really thick remnant. He brought out this huge piece of hide that had some blemishes. I can't remember what he charged me but it wasn't much at all. I made custom fit covers for my little vice that's ideal for holding onto guns and their bits. Too easy. There's a picture of the leather pad I made in this thread holding a pistol.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1222603&page=2
Old 09-06-2021, 07:00 PM
7sleeper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Harry View Post
I cut two pieces of soft pine 1 X 4 to fit between the vise jaws. I cut out a notch so the pieces will rest on the traveling square tubing of the traveling jaw. Now they will stay in place so my hands are free. Using hide glue, I attach two pieces of leather to the inside surfaces of each piece of wood.

Take efforts to keep the leather surfaces clean and clear of wood chips, metal filings, and other debris which might mar a wooden or blued surface.
Same here, soft wood and a leather strip. Got the leather from an old belt from my son. Some "cool" brand when he was a teenager over a decade ago...

Old 09-06-2021, 07:52 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Here is what I use.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015KP2JJ4?tag=techzonemag-20
Old 09-10-2021, 08:29 PM
Whatever

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've used many things. I've used sheet lead at times, wood, plastic jaw covers. The last couple years I've been using 2 layers of thicker duct tape. As that works very well, will probably continue with the duct tape.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:18 PM
lesptr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
Good point on the leather!

I have several scraps of soft leather that work well with the wooden vice on my bench to hold stocks without damaging the finish. The synthetic covers I posted will mark the finish of wood.

My gun bench is from Harbor Freight

This is my reloading bench.
And it has never been that clean since.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:37 AM
wpshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
I've used many things. I've used sheet lead at times, wood, plastic jaw covers. The last couple years I've been using 2 layers of thicker duct tape. As that works very well, will probably continue with the duct tape.
Sounds like a good suggestion. I believe that I could take some styrofoam packing sheeting and use the duct tape to hold it onto the jaws.

Thanks.