TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
My 1st 3/8" 5 shot group @ 25yd

25yd
Ctr to ctr
Crosman domed hp's from Walmart
HW97K, 22cal.
BSA 2-7x32 AR scope, duplex ret., set at 7x
Rest-Caldwell bench bag filled with sand, rifle at the forend balance point, no buttstock bag
Light hold; ie, artillary
This rifle has over 500 but probably less than 1000 pellets through it
The H&N FTT have been good, so have the Crosman Premier Domed. Im really undecided which may be better. I went looking for more of the Crosman and apparently got the last tin of HP Domed in town. Why not try em.
This rifle seems to love them Even at 50yd I got a 4 of 5 shots that a quarter would cover. Missed the swinger completly with the # 4 shot them redeemed myself on #5, guess that is to keep me humble.
Now if I could only do it offhand (LOL)

Last edited by gcrank1; 08-15-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2021, 03:15 PM
theLBC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
nice! i just recently got an air rifle, before they start restricting them...but i am only shooting inside so far and i don't even have a back yard =/
Old 08-15-2021, 04:05 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Sounds good, I've got several "air" powered rifles, the PCP .25 Hatsan will do that, makes a good back yard varminter. Waiting on Fedex to deliver another due today.
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2021, 05:39 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The pellets are terribly wind sensitive. And we rarely have a windless or super light-wind day. Today was perfect and as my day off I was able to take advantage of it.
I had bought this rifle back in 2019? but had little opportunity to mess about with it before winter set in, then had a quad heart bypass in mid-Dec. Last year was awfully busy so little chance or when a chance poor conditions. Ive been having time here and there to play with it this year and this was a Very Good Day for me Fwiw, Ive had some Not At All Good days with it. Springers are tough to sort out. Then there was the flakey scope......
So maybe 2ish years to get to now. As of today Im Liking It.
It is a monster though; 10ish # c/w scope. In 22 it runs about 625fps and is not an easy cocking air gun. Reviews online had indicated it wasnt bad. It got it and was surprised so I looked back at the reviews. What I had missed the first time was a couple of the guys looked like linebackers. Im not.
It is nicely built! And I love the big, open loading port and Rekord trigger. Based on the build quality Id get another HW.
What a bonus that it shoots cheap bulk Crosmans well.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:22 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I was pretty tickled with this, but I guess from the lack of comments/replies it must be pretty common/no big deal....
Old 08-18-2021, 10:15 AM
theLBC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
I was pretty tickled with this, but I guess from the lack of comments/replies it must be pretty common/no big deal....
i think this section is just not that popular or busy. you would get more comments or advice on air gun nation...
Old 08-18-2021, 10:50 AM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Quote:
I think a lot of air gunners read these posts, but don’t get all that interested in “avg” air guns. Very few people will ever spend over a thousand dollars for a precision air rifle, or well over two thousand for an even better one. Some of the PCP guns will rival any Anschutz out there up to fifty yards and be nipping on the heels at a hundred yards. For the vast majority the “avg” guns will offer all the fun in the world and do yoeman’s duty at pest control. I think “air rifle” just covers too much ground. If the focus was just competition and precision you might get more responses, but you’d definitely get less people interested in this marginalized shooting discipline. Every shooting website now seems to have a sub-forum for air guns, but not a lot of interest. I guess you just have to go to a dedicated air gun website?
Old 08-18-2021, 11:01 AM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (55)
Quote:
I must be in the minority cuz keep them coming. I really like the accuracy of air rifles and some are great but at varying distances. I like my R7. Had some others but it's the most fun. Putting them in the same hole at any distance is enjoyable.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:29 AM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
PCP air guns are in a group of their own. Here’s a typical day at the range comparing two different pellets while a 10mph cross wind kept coming up intermittently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 55DA59C0-D08C-4E1B-B20B-3F8ADAF706CC.jpeg (105.7 KB, 181 views)
Old 08-18-2021, 12:16 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Time to try the Ten Dimes Challenge

Congrats on your first 3/8" group with a springer air rifle.

Time to try the Ten Dimes Challenge-five shots per dime-sized bull at 25 yards. There are numerous Ten Dimes threads on some of the airgun forums. I believe there are five or so versions of this target, but I think this one is the original.

https://www.oldspooks.com/agstuff/Te...-challenge.pdf

I began this target on my last visit to the range, but I ran out of light so this is only a five dimes target-with one shot out.

20210810FiveDimes.jpg

Last edited by bberg7794; 08-18-2021 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:26 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
First I've seen of it GCrank. Good shooting!

I miss the weekly-ish digest that used to get emailed. Some still get it but I haven't seen it in 2 years or more.

Frank
Old 09-13-2021, 05:51 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Bberg, that Dimes Target you shot is pretty nice
Looks like a game I could get in front of (dont want to be behind a target!)
Just read a bunch on Air Gun Nation, oh no....another forum is sucking me INNNnnnnnnnnnnm
I often do multiple magic-marker dime sized blacks on a pizza cardboard so Im used to the size. Tried making a potato stamp years ago with an ink pad, didnt work as well as I hoped....had to fill in with the m-marker anyway. Was thinking about a wood handle with a rubber washer glued on but the ink pad is messy.
All those silly old-school things are still in my head

Last edited by gcrank1; 09-13-2021 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:58 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
TenDimes09012021.jpg
The cardboard I attached these targets to was pretty beat, so the holes aren't very clean.

I thought about trying to make my own Ten Dimes target, but ended up printing one at work and then having a friend make copies for me. That was much easier. If you don't have access to a printer, PM me your address and I will send you a one of my targets that you can photocopy at the drugstore or UPS store, or somewhere.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:54 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanx for that offer! I will keep it in mind while I dig up and through my old target selection for something with a dime sized center. Wouldnt be The Official Target but would work to aggravate me no end
Old 09-14-2021, 06:26 PM
rualert

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
RE:

I am one of the Air Gun geeks here along with my powder burners. With the ammo insanity of the past two-ish years, I have leaned even more on my Air guns. I have a couple, and my Air Force PCP in 25 cal is one of my favorites for 25 yards out to 200. at 50 it will do a 5 shot group right at .35 inches, so helps to keep the fundamentals strong while saving ammo.
And just in case no one ever mentioned it, springers are the most difficult to master, so a 3/8" 25 yard group is something to be proud of my friend.
My first "Adult Air Rifle" was a springer, and it took quite a bit of time before I stumbled upon the magic of the "Artillery Hold". If you haven't yet read up, google it, or search the previously mentioned Air Gun Forum, there is always a post about the correct way to shoot a spring gun. Once mastered, you can duplicate your efforts on a regular basis. I also very much like almost all the JSB pellets, for everything from my hammers like the Air Force 25 cal, to my FWB precision rifle, and a whole lot in between. So they might be worth a try the next time you do an online order, toss in a tin and try some.

Casey