Suppressed Mk II problem - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:19 PM
trashman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Suppressed Mk II problem

I have an unusual problem with my Mk II and I will be very specific. I have a Stainless Mk II with a 5 1/2" bull barrel. I bought it to thread and use as a suppressor host for a Dead Air Mask HD. When I shoot it suppressed within a couple of magazines I get a jam. It is the same every time. The fired brass will be jammed with the base to the left and the empty end the bullet had been in facing right and it will be pushed against the top of the receiver by the round that is feeding from the magazine into the chamber. It looks exactly the same, every time. If I am firing the pistol suppressed, it will usually happen within two magazines. If I am shooting the pistol unsuppressed, it NEVER happens.

First, let me say, the pistol is clean. Meticulously clean. The extractor cutout is cleaned out. The chamber is clean. The Extractor spring tunnel and associated parts are clean. Please everyone, do not tell me to clean the pistol. I am 98% sure that is not the problem.

It has happened with CCI Blazer, CCI Standard Velocity, Aguila Super Extra standard velocity, and Remington Target (Circa '95, not the recent stuff).

I have removed the Tandemkross pic rail and red dot, and it still happens.

I have changed the extractor out with a Volquartsen extractor and it still happens.

The pistol has a Volquartsen recoil spring assembly, and I have tried it with all three of the included springs, and it makes no difference.

I have tried three different magazine and it has not made a difference.

The only think I have not changed out is the ejector.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues, only when suppressed?
Old 07-11-2021, 08:40 AM
farscott
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
It appears the pressure exerted on the cartridge case is increasing from the suppressor back pressure. Things to check:

1) Try running HV ammo with the suppressor. If the issue goes away, the ejector is suspect. The reason I say this is I have a S&W Victory that would do the same thing with standard velocity ammo and never with high velocity ammo. I moved the ejector nose inboard a bit and that solved the issue. When the pistol was clean, no issues. As debris collected in the chamber from firing, ejection issues would start to occur.

2). Check the fired cases that eject properly. Do they look normal? Any signs of the cartridge mouth being crushed? That indicates the ejector is marginal.
Old 07-11-2021, 12:15 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ejection problems are usually caused by 1 or more of 5 things:

1) poorly performing extractor - VQ is good, so probably not your issue.

2) dirty chamber - many people think their chamber is clean, but carbon ring requires more than pulling a bore snake thru to keep it at bay. If you don't have a bore scope, hold the muzzle up at an angle to a strong light and look into the chamber. A clean chamber will be very shiny all the way to the leade. Carbon ring will appear as a dark (not shiny) area between the place a case ends and the leade. Do a forum search for "carbon ring" for ideas of how to remove it.

3) loose/misaligned ejector - with bolt removed, try to wiggle it through the ejection port. It should be solid. With the bolt pulled back to even with the front of the ejector, the ejector nose should sit very close to or against the rib on the bottom of the bolt.

4) dirty rim pocket on bolt face - make sure no crud is hiding it the corner across from the extractor. I run a dental pick around the corner to scrape it all out.

5) magazine rear/left feed lip - with mainspring removed, cycle several rounds thru each mag. As each round (slowly) extracts, watch the round as it reaches and goes over the feed lip. It will wiggle a bit if it makes contact. One of my 2 mags had this problem - even after adjusting the lips for excellent feeding. I took some 200 grit sandpaper on a wood block and lightly sanded the top of that feed lip to give a couple thousandths clearance. Now both of my mags run without ever getting stovepipes. Note- DO NOT ROUND the front of the feed lips! If extracting rounds are hitting the front edge of the lip, it's because it's not adjusted properly. It needs to be bent inward/down just a tad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2021, 08:52 PM
trashman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TE, that was most helpful. I did everything that you suggested and nothing really jumped out at me. I did compare the ejector to another Mk II and mine looks decidedly different at the tip. I am going to order another one and see if that resolves my issues. Any suggestions on getting the rivet removed?
Old 07-21-2021, 10:01 AM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post

...Any suggestions on getting the rivet removed?
Yes. If you're not good with a drill, have the ejector removed and replaced by a gunsmith using either an original style rivet in ejector or one of the newer style ejectors that use a threaded fastener/thread locker to keep the ejector in place in lieu of the original rivet, e.g., like the Tactical Solutions Heavy Duty Ejector:

Old 07-21-2021, 11:12 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
While a drill press and padded vice is ideal for removing the rivet, it's really not a necessity. You can remove the bulk of the splayed rivet end with some careful file or dremel work. Then use a small punch or press to drive the shaft out.

I second DrewBone's suggestion of replacing with a threaded style ejector. They're much easier to get tight, and they stay pretty well with thread locker (degrease all thread surfaces before assembling).
Old 07-23-2021, 07:53 PM
trashman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I ordered a threaded one. I think I can handle it without too much trouble. I will let everyone know how it goes!
Old 07-29-2021, 08:52 PM
trashman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The saga continues...

I ordered the Tac Sol ejector and it came in. However the nub that hangs down at the rear of the ejector is larger than the cut out in the receiver bridge. As a result, the ejector cannot be moved far enough forward for the screw to engage it through the rivet hole. Do I need to slowly file down the "nub?"

Have any of you guys actually installed one of these? That is not meant as a snide comment, but simply that I am looking for feedback.
Old 08-11-2021, 12:07 PM
trashman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Latest update! The Tac Sol part requires that I cut out the notch on bottom of the receiver for the nub on the bottom of the ejector, and it also requires that I countersink the hole that the ejector screw will go through. This is per Tactical Solutions customer service. Quite frankly, at this point, I am tired of messing with this and just want it to work. Who can I send this to that will fix it? I called Ruger and, apparently, since I had the barrel threaded I have altered the firearm and they will not work on it. This is ridiculous. I just want my Mk II to run suppressed. I asked the lady at Ruger Customer Service if they knew of anybody that could work on it. She referred me to retailers in my area. Retailers want to sell me another pistol, not fix this one.
Old 08-11-2021, 12:54 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd fit the nub to the slot like you suggested - not the slot to the nub.

Then I'd hold off on countersinking the hole. It's okay if the screw head sits a bit proud of the receiver tube. The original rivet did too.

I'd help you get this thing running right if you lived nearby. If you can't getter done by yourself, you may need to take it to a local gunsmith. It's pretty minor work, so it shouldn't cost you a whole lot - far less than the barrel threading did.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:22 AM
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd agree with fitting the nub to the slot, seems like it would be quicker and easier, as well as leaving the option to go to factory again if you want.

Glad to hear about that fitment issue as well. I've got an ejector that has some play and have been considering whether to send it to Ruger or get the Tactical Solutions part. Might be just as cheap and easier for me to send it in.
Old 08-27-2021, 10:24 PM
trashman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great news! I sent it in to Volquartsen and they did a trigger job on it, which is great, and replaced the ejector, which fixed the problem. I have only run 40 rounds through it so far, but they ran 100 through it as well. That seems to have fixed the problem. I have never done very much business with VQ, just because I don't have many .22's. But they are outstanding! I actually emailed customer service on a Sunday morning and Scott V. replied that day!

To say I am happy is an understatement.

Next project, any suggestions on a chest rig for a 5.5" bull barreled Mk II sporting a Dead Air Mask and a red dot?