Anyone Ever Take A PD With A .458? (Just Half Kidding) - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-01-2021, 10:37 AM
carbonbased
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Is this a “fun” or “always wanted” sort of gun? I definitely have have some of those!

Or is this going to be your main PD shooter, with lots of dead PDs being the goal?

If the latter, are you a high volume shooter, and what sort of support are you shooting off of?

I ask because No 1s seem like they would be a pain to shoot from a rest upon a table. I reckon it would be similar to a lever action’s lever hitting the table when operated? But maybe shooting sticks are your rest.

As far as caliber: if you’re shooting “newb” PDs, or ones that haven’t been shot at much, a 22 Hornet is fine as the distances can be sub-200yds. In those circumstances I use a silenced 22LR with subsonic ammo. The other scenario I run into is the more cagey PDs only offering 300yd+ shots. For this I use a 19 pound .204 Rem 700 and shoot of a bench. This setup allows me to see the hits.

But if a fun/always wanted gun is what you’re after, toss my advice into the circular file and listen to your heart. One needs fun in one’s life!

Last edited by carbonbased; 05-01-2021 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:41 PM
Flynmoose

Moved back east of the Cascades where sanity still exists!
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
TBR, I have a Lipseys 1A in 22 Hornet, it is accurate enough to even make me look good. After seeing the price they bring now, I will need to treat it with more respect. Actually, I baby it along with most everything I have. I would think a liner in a heavy barrel would be stiffer than a light barrel. I will be interested in whatever you decide to do with your #1, I am sure it will be nice, you do great work!
FM
Old 05-01-2021, 10:13 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Thanks. So, how accurate is that Lipsey .22 Hornet? If I knew it would be accurate, I would have considered one, even at the high price. Iím pretty confident they would hold their value, also.

FWIW, I have used No. 1s in extensive bench sessions for years, and, while itís true one must clear the lever, itís a relatively simple matter of using a higher front and rear rest. We always use pivoting field benches for PDs, so a lightish BR front rest and one extra bag in the rear does the trick. The shooting position is also much more upright and produces less neck and back strain over hours of sniping. For strictly PD shooting from such a bench, a 9 lbs+ No. 1 Hornet might have more utility for me. As I think about it, I actually only have one heavy-barreled PD rifle, a VQ .17 WSM, the rest are sleek sporters...that liner is sounding better and better

TBR
Old 05-01-2021, 11:57 PM
Flynmoose

Moved back east of the Cascades where sanity still exists!
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
My Lipseys 22 Hornet is surprisingly accurate. It will shoot alongside my Browning 1885 22 Hornet, shot for shot. I use a Caldwell front rest and a rear bag with all of the falling block and lever actions that live here. I use the same setup for my T/Cs, works well for them as well.
FM
Old 05-02-2021, 04:36 PM
PigButtons
US Air Force Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
After reading this thread I just had to shoot my 22K Hornets. I shot the Encore at 8.5# and the Contender at 6#. Both are extremely accurate, 1/2 MOA at 100; but the comfort difference between the two is really significant. I don't think I had ever shot the two back to back before, and even though the Contender has a Harrel's muzzle brake / tuner, it has a vastly sharper recoil pulse, even through the limbsaver recoil pad. It is nothing that is uncomfortable in itself but having the Encore to compare it against was enough that if I had a day of 200 - 300 rounds in my future there would be zero question which rifle would get the start.

Thanks to your rather odd question to start this thread I discovered something I had never even given any consideration to before.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:43 PM
Dean2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
This last post is really %%%% funny. Gave me a great laugh. The idea of a brake on a 22 Hornet is just hilarious. Thanks for the chuckles.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:42 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I never have shot a PD with the 458 Win, but I had a shooting buddy that used his 458 Win to shoot woodchucks. Had no other real use for it, but he owned one!
Old 05-03-2021, 01:18 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
And so it begins from the smallest of things :
Extractor 2.jpg
Old 05-04-2021, 07:06 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Or an alternative:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 458Fun.jpg (126.9 KB, 51 views)
Old 05-13-2021, 02:13 PM
PigButtons

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
This last post is really %%%% funny. Gave me a great laugh. The idea of a brake on a 22 Hornet is just hilarious. Thanks for the chuckles.
Glad to make you chuckle. I like seeing my hits through the scope if possible and the 16" Contender had just enough muzzle flip to make that hard. Plus the tuner / brake combo was just too fun to pass up. They do reek of overkill, but it's mine and I like it, so if you get a laugh, that's good too.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:14 PM
PigButtons

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
And so it begins from the smallest of things :
Attachment 254967

Progress is progress. Big things all have small beginnings.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:19 PM
Dean2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude. I really thought you were kidding. The line about the recoil pulse being noticeably sharper and the cumulative impact of firing a couple of hundred 22 H rounds sounded like you were making a joke. The only gun I own that has a brake on it is my 460 Bee. All good, whatever floats a guys boat.

Last edited by Dean2; 05-13-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:25 PM
PigButtons

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
No offense taken. But they make compensators for 22lr pistols. Basically the same thing, not necessary but some like them.

I'm sure that TBR won't need one on his Ruger #1H Tropical in 22 Hornet. Plus it just wouldn't look right on such a classic.