A 7-3/8" Model 41, and an added bonus - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:42 PM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A 7-3/8" Model 41, and an added bonus

My good friend and FFL dealer in NY recently took in two S&W 41 pistols on a trade...a 5.5" and a 7-3/8" model, so I had him send me some images. Since I recently purchased my first 41, a 5.5" model, I figured it would be nice to own one of the longer barrel versions also...it's serial number suggests that it was manufactured somewhere between 1959 and 1960 and was therefore C&R eligible, and after about 3 nanoseonds of thought I had him send it to me.

For a 62 year old blued firearm it's in pretty good shape:

And it wasn't until we were discussing the actual shipping and insurance costs did he mention that the pistol came with a set of barrel weights, and that there were some very minor spots of bluing wear on the edge of both sides of the slide where the weight(s) had previously been attached. And I had no problem with this as it was apparent that this pistol was actually used for competition and wasn't a safe queen.

The weight set:

I doubt I'll install it, nor will I sell it even with some of the crazy numbers I've seen that they're getting for them lately.

Other than some lead buildup inside the compensator it was very clean, so it had obviously been cared for. It's previous owner reported that the two pistols he traded in were owned by his Father who had passed away 20 years prior and he'd never shot them. As time passed he became interested in more modern centerfire cartridge handguns so he traded them towards something he would use.

All good by me!
Old 04-13-2021, 03:20 PM
sicumj
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nice pistol. I have a 7 3/8 SN. 217xx parts list in the box is dated Sept. 1959.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:45 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
That's a beaut Drew. Does it feel nose heavy in your hand?

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2021, 07:52 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
96% (17)
Very nice gun 👍
Old 04-13-2021, 09:13 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Mine is number 48990. Just had it out yesterday to handle it. Awesome pistols.
I found the muzzle cap a few years ago and took the muzzle break off. They are a challenge to clean. Congratulations.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:51 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
The thing that strikes me about the photo is the depth of the blueing. Is that real, or just a trick of the camera?
Old 04-14-2021, 09:45 AM
jeepwm69

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Beautiful example you have there. Go shoot it!
Old 04-14-2021, 12:08 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
The blueing is real. The old ones are outstanding.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:31 PM
mr alexander

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A 7-3/8" Model 41, and an added bonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post

The thing that strikes me about the photo is the depth of the blueing. Is that real, or just a trick of the camera?
That bluing is absolutely gorgeous! Too bad that today's

handguns are not available with that kind of treatment

from the factory.

Last edited by mr alexander; 04-14-2021 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Added Wording
Old 04-14-2021, 06:05 PM
Shrps74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great looking 41...mine is 7 3/8 w/muzzle break from 1958. Serial is 12xxx. It ain't goin' nowhere...Shrps74
Old 04-14-2021, 07:01 PM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicumj View Post
Nice pistol. I have a 7 3/8 SN. 217xx parts list in the box is dated Sept. 1959.
Much obliged! Yours isn't too far behind mine, post some images of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
That's a beaut Drew. Does it feel nose heavy in your hand?

Frank
Thanks Frank! Actually, when recently comparing the weight of my 5.5" model to this 7-3/8" model the shorter barrel model oddly felt nose heavier; I hadn't noticed it prior, but the more substantial cross section of the muzzle end of the 5.5" model when compared to the skinnier profile of the longer barrel model equates to an overall heavier pistol, even though it's shorter in OAL. Who'da thunk! And since my bathroom scale was of no help I was forced to do some digging to make sure I hadn't gone off the deep end, and sure enough the 5.5" model reportedly weighs roughly 46 oz. compared to the 41 oz. weight of the 7-3/8" model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle1903 View Post
Very nice gun 👍
Thanks Turtleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleiss1 View Post
Mine is number 48990. Just had it out yesterday to handle it. Awesome pistols.
I found the muzzle cap a few years ago and took the muzzle break off. They are a challenge to clean. Congratulations.
I not a competitive shooter and plan on keeping an eye on the compensater. During it's initial cleaning and going over I did remove a few chunks of lead from the comp but nothing that required dynamite to remove

Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
No tricks, just a nicely blued finish and natural light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwm69 View Post
Beautiful example you have there. Go shoot it!
It looks better in person! And shooting it is on my list of things to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleiss1 View Post
The blueing is real. The old ones are outstanding.
Yes, this is but one of the things that attracts me to these pistols. Before I was born my Dad was an FFL, and I grew up watching him tend to his collection of early Colt percussion and SAA revolvers and early Winchester rifles, and this was where at a very young age my appreciation of wood and metal firearms began, along with how Hoppe's No. 9 besides being a great solvent, also worked great at keeping my Mom out of his garage workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr alexander View Post
That bluing is absolutely gorgeous! Too bad that today's

handguns are not available with that kind of treatment

from the factory.
I agree. But like everything nowadays, the extra time along with the necessary skills required to be exerted on the preparation of the metal surfaces prior to bluing to replicate this type of nice finish would run the cost of the pistol up and up and up, which could unfortunately make these pistols too expensive for the average firearm enthusiast to consider.

Todays brushed finsh model 41's are still a nice product that are literally just not as "polished" as the older verions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrps74 View Post
Great looking 41...mine is 7 3/8 w/muzzle break from 1958. Serial is 12xxx. It ain't goin' nowhere...Shrps74
I believe that I've heard you mention this pistol before, and since acquiring one myself I do believe that I share your reluctance to part with such a nice pistol
Old 04-14-2021, 09:43 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
96% (17)
And you are right the bluing on the older guns looks miles deep absolutely beautiful finish on-them ! I think they are one of the nicest looking guns you can get! Drew I think you would be hard pressed to find a nicer one than that one enjoy!

Last edited by Turtle1903; 04-14-2021 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:09 AM
citation

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Its without a doubt the nicest 41 I have ever seen...particularly since I really like the older models...of about everything. I have one, of that vintage, in the box with the two barrels and accessories but it certainly is not in that condition. It was a bit nicer when I acquired it but I've added a little of my own honest wear. I can definitely say two things about my shooting preference, as they have developed over the years; first, a shorter, heavier barrels is much better for me and second, the grip slant of these, and the HS 106/107 Military models are far and away much better for me. For this reason, I particularly enjoy my Ace but I cannot shoot it nearly as well as any of my target pistols...probably for obvious reasons. Congratulations on your very nice acquisition. Not to start an age old discussion but...please only use SV.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:55 AM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle1903 View Post
And you are right the bluing on the older guns looks miles deep absolutely beautiful finish on-them ! I think they are one of the nicest looking guns you can get! Drew I think you would be hard pressed to find a nicer one than that one enjoy!
I've always been a sucker for good aesthetics, and the model 41 sure is a great example of excellent form and function! And thank you for your always cheerful disposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by citation View Post
Its without a doubt the nicest 41 I have ever seen...particularly since I really like the older models...of about everything. I have one, of that vintage, in the box with the two barrels and accessories but it certainly is not in that condition. It was a bit nicer when I acquired it but I've added a little of my own honest wear. I can definitely say two things about my shooting preference, as they have developed over the years; first, a shorter, heavier barrels is much better for me and second, the grip slant of these, and the HS 106/107 Military models are far and away much better for me. For this reason, I particularly enjoy my Ace but I cannot shoot it nearly as well as any of my target pistols...probably for obvious reasons. Congratulations on your very nice acquisition. Not to start an age old discussion but...please only use SV.
I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts, experiences, and kind words!

I'm with you in regards to the older firearms, for after all they were what helped form the foundation of today's designs! "Back in the day" a good amount of time was spent by the manufacturer to create a beautiful finish, which nowadays we pay a premium for.

In the past I owned a couple of the lower end High Standard pistols, but I never shot them so they got traded off. Perhaps I should reinvestigate them...

About ammo in the 41...I've of course heard that it's recommended to shoot SV ammo over HV/HyperV, and I'm investigating the use of a buffer, which some feel is a good safety measure whatever ammo you're using. I've seem images of them so I'll try to obtain some suitable material and have a go at fabing some up for myself to try out.

Old 04-15-2021, 05:43 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
96% (17)
A friend of mine only shoots hv Ammo in his model 41 and I looked at it and it is beating slide face up and barrel Breech up ! My gun is older and has more rounds threw it but only sv Ammo and mine is in a lot better condition barrel breach and slide face ! So I personally would not shoot hv in mine! And he uses a buffer! I don’t!