Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-08-2020, 12:26 PM
BBerguson
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Blew up my gun today...

CZ 452 shooting Hornady ammo. First 3 shots were fine, 4th didnít go off so I chambered and fired another round. Well, I should have been paying more attention. 4th round shoved the bullet into the rifling. All I heard was the click and didnít bother looking at the round when I ejected it. Stupid me and I take the blame for it. 5th round blew the magazine apart and the firing pin and spring out of the gun. What makes me mad though (at myself) is that I have boatloads of Eley and was only shooting the Hornady to use it up. I had 100 rounds of it. Was mad enough to throw all 95 left into the creek next to the shooting bench. I wouldnít feel right about selling that crap to somebody so I chucked it.

Now I have a magazine to buy and gun to fix because I didnít want some ammo to go to waste...

Bryan
Old 11-08-2020, 12:43 PM
BBerguson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was wrong about the firing pin. It was parts to the magazine release that I had, plunger and spring. Need to go test the gun now to see if it will fire after getting the jammed bullet out... And only one bullet was stuck in the barrel. I was expecting to find two.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:43 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That must have got your attention. WOW! I never realize a rimfire could let go like that. The 17's maybe pushing the pressure limits.

Now you have to drive out 2 stuck bullets? I hope the barrel is good.

It is not too late to consider your CZ may have been hitting the ammo a little weak. Maybe check headspace and firing pin protrusion. OK, I guess that is wiped out with the failure. Probably standard procedure in the repair process. You may never know. Did you look at the firing pin strike marks? Maybe not in all the excitement. You still got 10 fingers and 2 eyes. That makes it a good day

Edit: I missed your follow up post. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2020, 12:56 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
.17m2 is loaded to the same pressure as .22lr see the link...

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...30&postcount=2

I had the same thing happen with a Ruger American in .17hmr with pretty much the same result, fortunately the magazine took the brunt of the damage in that case too.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:01 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Makes sense. I posted before I read the OP's second post where he explained the bolt was not damaged as initially thought.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:05 PM
PigButtons
US Air Force Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
BB, thank you for manning up and sharing what must have been a startling experience. It is a good warning for all of us and I appreciate your taking the time.

I also hope your rifle is fixable and shoots as well as it ever did.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:14 PM
BBerguson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Only one bullet came out of the barrel which is kind of confusing... It was about 5 inches from the chamber. The case was ruptured around the rim and unfortunately I don’t have it. Handed it across the bench to my buddy I was shooting with and don’t know what happened to it. I was more concerned about the gun and the stinging in my wrist. Shooting left hand and holding just in from of the mag with my right hand. Had one little piece of practice I think that broke the skin but didn’t draw blood. Luckily I wasn’t holding directly below the magazine, that would have hurt a bunch I’m afraid.

I think the gun/barrel will be fine. The 17 caliber hole leaves a lot of steel around it. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow afternoon and test it out. (With Eley) Single shot of course until I can get a new mag!

(Edit) I did go to my shop and fired two rounds without incident so the gun is functioning okay.

Bryan

Last edited by BBerguson; 11-08-2020 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:22 PM
whiplash

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Glad that you are all right. At least, it doesn't read like you were bleeding.

Things happen, glad you're not hurt and all the wiser. Thanks for sharing so that all of us might be smarter when it comes our turn at the unexpected.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:25 PM
BBerguson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looking again at the schematics everything that blew out was magazine parts. The mag release has a plunger and spring and I thought the plunger was the firing pin when I first looked at it.

On a side note... Noticing an ad on the screen for EGWguns.com. Top notch company, top notch. Needed a red dot base for an RIA 1911 with Novak sight and they were the only place I found one. Great to do business with to, told me what I needed and shipped it very quickly, and it fit just like they said it would! Great selection of products and great customer service!

Bryan
Old 11-08-2020, 07:09 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBerguson View Post
CZ 452 shooting Hornady ammo. First 3 shots were fine, 4th didnít go off so I chambered and fired another round. Well, I should have been paying more attention. 4th round shoved the bullet into the rifling. All I heard was the click and didnít bother looking at the round when I ejected it. Stupid me and I take the blame for it. 5th round blew the magazine apart and the firing pin and spring out of the gun. What makes me mad though (at myself) is that I have boatloads of Eley and was only shooting the Hornady to use it up. I had 100 rounds of it. Was mad enough to throw all 95 left into the creek next to the shooting bench. I wouldnít feel right about selling that crap to somebody so I chucked it.

Now I have a magazine to buy and gun to fix because I didnít want some ammo to go to waste...

Bryan
Glad you are alright.

Lesson-
Anytime any gun doesnít fire. The cartridge needs close inspection.
Could happen with any rifle.
Imagine a centerfire like a magnum. Would be bad.
Bystanders need to stay behind not off to the side when folks are firing their guns.

A hunting situation and if this happens could cause a person to have something bad happen to them.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:03 PM
BBerguson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel1 View Post
Glad you are alright.

Lesson-
Anytime any gun doesnít fire. The cartridge needs close inspection.
Could happen with any rifle.
Imagine a centerfire like a magnum. Would be bad.
Bystanders need to stay behind not off to the side when folks are firing their guns.

A hunting situation and if this happens could cause a person to have something bad happen to them.

Thanks for sharing.
I agree with your quotes 100% I got complacent, itís only a rimfire after all... Lesson learned, the hard way but it could have been a lot worse.

I couldnít wait until tomorrow to shoot the gun... I grabbed the gun, some ELEY ammo and some flashlights and went to the range. Some groups are okay, others are stringing vertically. I want to blame it on the darkness as I would turn a flashlight on to load (one round at a time! Remember, I blew up my magazine!) and then turn it off. The target seemed to jump around in the scope when moving my head and I think (hope) this had something to do with the larger than Iím used groups. I donít think I damaged the gun though. 100 % Eley ammo but its possible that itís a couple of different lots. I took a hunting ammo pouch and it may contain different lots. No wind at all, about 55 degrees.

Tomorrow Iíll take some unopened boxes and try it again.

This is a measured 54 yards. Had the target stop setup and then moved my bench, someday Iíll fix it...
Old 03-02-2021, 04:53 PM
lizardtrack
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had the same thing happen to my Marlin 717. I had to replace the trigger guard but it bulged the barrel. I may need to replace the barrel or reline it. I haven't shot it enough to know if it affected the accuracy.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Will not prevent this from happening. But I put a DIP Aluminum 795 housing in my 717..I also put a stronger 795 Recoil Sping in my 717..That I do believe will be helpful in preventing these type of problems.

Not familiar with your particular Rifle brand..But good to know you were uninjured..

I have yet to have the dreaded 17 Mach2 kaboom..Hopefully will not with the stronger Recoil Spring and I keep it clean..I do believe alot of these Kabooms were ammo related to the early production Mach2 ammo..How old were these Honandy rounds you were firing?
Old 03-02-2021, 10:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Never heard of this with high speed ammo but have seen this with CB ammo. I would have fired the rest of the ammo and been more vigilant to use it up. You also should have bent hornady's ear to fix your gun. You threw the evidence in the creek.

You may have a slight bulge in the barrel but it may have little effect on accuracy. I have one 22 where the bulge is near the muzzle and it produced about 100fps loss compared to similar barrel length guns. Still can put CCI SV into a 2 inch square at 50 yards with open sights. So cross your fingers. I think the magazine parts probably took the worst of it.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:43 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Tell me that you really didnt throw the ammo intothe creek! Thatís really not acceptable.