Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Anschutz 1411

3K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  dbr65 
#1 ·
Does the 1411 have the usual 11mm receiver rail?

Doug

#7 · (Edited)
Doug:

You are probably already familiar with these, but, just in case . . .

o JP Custom Product Delrin 11mm rail adapters &
o Burris Signature Zee (Weaver-style) rings (w/ offset plastic inserts).

I haven't found a truly symmetrically aligned clamping mechanism on a ring that fits completely flush into both the
left and right grooves with the scope still centered.

They just always seem to be cocked to one side or the other and one side always
has a poorly angled / aligned bite into the grove.

Hate that.

Not the most glamorous setup but they work well once you tighten them down
enough that they stop slipping --- usually a three step process.

(or follow the directions and de-grease them first. :rolleyes:)

Some people don't care for the looks of the Burris rings (although not BKL ugly),
and some don't like the slipping until 'tight' thing going on --- which I can see.

Everybody has their pet peeves!

Don

#8 ·
Hey, Don, :):bthumb::bthumb:

Yes, I use those J&P adapters on several of my rifles. And as you say, you just need to make sure they are TIGHT. And Burris Signature ZEEs are my favorite scope rings for several reasons. Not the most elegant, but much better than many others. I think I may already have a set of the adapters for the Anschutz 11mm.

Thanks.

Doug

#16 ·
Yes, here is my 2013 with no holes:

As an aside, I have never had a single issue with quality clamp-on scope rings slipping in dovetails. I did have a 4.5 lbs .22 Hornet, the recoil impulse of which caused the dovetailed scope rings to slip, but never a rimfire. I may be in the minority on this, but I much prefer the simplicity of rings clamping directly to an integral receiver dovetail. I just bought a 1717 on which the previous owner installed Talley bases to attach the Talley rimfire rings. I immediately removed the unnecessary bases and mounted the rings directly to the receiver...maybe it's just me :rolleyes:

TBR

#12 · (Edited)
Indeed, although I think Thomas's point was more that Anschutz still don't d&t Match rifle receivers, even after suitable receiver-mounted 'scopes became available. That's for good reasons too: primarily, the core function of almost all the Match rifles is position shooting, and using telescopic sights is mostly (but not entirely) a US thing. Secondly, for position shooting rings screwed onto the action would offer much less flexibility in terms of eye relief than the dovetail, which itself is often found lacking in length for Prone.

#20 ·
Very nice 1411, Gilbert, and good to know about the Talleys. Do you recall which model Talleys you're using? I do plan on shooting mine (a 1966-vintage) with the aperture, but I expect eventually it will wear scope. I have a Bushnell Elite 6500 (30mm) 4.5-30x50 SF in mind. 99%+ of my shooting will be off the bench.

Doug

#15 ·
Maybe Tim thinks that Anschutz may have in the past, or yet in the future come under pressure to perform the D&T.

Measuring by calipers, a 1979 1407, a 1980 1413 and a 2002 1710 all show c.11.18mm for the dovetail width given above. The bottom of the grooves in the target rifles is c.9.96mm; the 1710 is marginally fatter at c.10.03mm.

#17 ·
Maybe Tim thinks that Anschutz may have in the past, or yet in the future come under pressure to perform the D&T.
Hi Sandy,

I hadn't even thought of that, though I'm not sure who would apply that pressure, not prone shooters for sure! I was just thinking literally, in that Anschutz didn't d&t Match rifle receivers when they made that 1411, didn't d&t when receiver mounted 'scooes came onto the market, and don't d&t today either.

#18 · (Edited)
Two things...

1. It comes up time and time again, people wanting to bolt a scope onto a rifle that has a dovetail milled right into the action. I will work obviously but it's an inferior way to do the job- to bolt something on then clamp something to that which they just bolted on. The dovetails have a much better chance of being inline with the receiver than the bolted on bases. The holes in the bases are just clearance holes and there is considerable slop in them. Also, mounting to the dovetail directly makes for a simpler connection.

2. Dovetails are not measured by measuring across the tips. Just deburring the action when new will totally throw this measurement completely out of whack. As will the height of the dovetail. I know they call them 11mm but that really doesn't tell much. Here is more info on dovetail measurements:

https://www.engineersedge.com/mecha...uring_and_designing_dovetail_slides_14212.htm

To accurately compare to receiver dovetails you need to use some pins in the grooves, measure across the pins, then do the same for another rifle.

Anschutz has not changed their dovetails over the years at all. I've done quite a bit of measuring of them using the method described and there is no change. For this purpose I have used thread measuring wires or more recently I've switched to using 1.5mm dowel pins.

#19 ·
Thank you for the information in your post above.

Anschutz has not changed their dovetails over the years at all. I've done quite a bit of measuring of them using the method described and there is no change. For this purpose I have used thread measuring wires or more recently I've switched to using 1.5mm dowel pins.
I asked about Anschutz dovetail sizes in post #14 in this thread. The 17xx series rifles have an 11.26mm dovetail and the 64 action rifles have 10.9mm dovetails, measured, as Anschutz shows in the images below, at the top of the grooves.

If Anschutz dovetails have remained constant over the decades, perhaps and the wider diameter of the 17xx receiver compared to the 64 (a 4mm difference) explains the sizes in the dovetail top widths and the bottom of the dovetails are the same. I don't know if the math works out as there's a 0.34mm difference in dovetail widths between the 17xx and 64.

#21 ·
Doug,
I have 2 of those 1411. This one is the nicest. The stock was refinished by Glenn ( Penage guy ) = THANKS GLENN!!
My other one has peeps and aperture.
These Talley rings are the one made for Anschutz. They are the high ones and the scope is a Bausch and Lomb 36X.
You can find the rings on Talley web site.

#26 ·
The point is, if you look at how the clamping action works it has no bearing on the width of those tips.
It's clear that it has no bearing on the width of those tips. That's not the point. The question, asked in post #14, is what is the width of the match 54 (e.g. the 14xx, 18xx, and 19xx series rifles)?

And while we're here, are the 20xx dovetails grooves on the flatter-topped square receiver the same dimensions as the round match 54's between the grooves? It was an incidental question, not directly related to the OP's questions.

#27 ·
So the 1411 I'm buying should arrive by the end of the week, but it has no User Manual available. I've searched online, including the Anschutz website and cannot find even a reference to the Model 1411. It's a 1966-vintage so hardly current, but is there a more current model whose manual would serve?

Doug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.