Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:32 AM
Tomto

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Break in before trigger job?

I have a new Mark IV Target and the Volquartsen Accurizing Kit for the Ruger MK IV Pistol. Should I break in the pistol with 500 or so rounds before installing the kit or can I just do it now?
Old 03-05-2020, 06:18 AM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomto View Post
I have a new Mark IV Target and the Volquartsen Accurizing Kit for the Ruger MK IV Pistol. Should I break in the pistol with 500 or so rounds before installing the kit or can I just do it now?

I personally put 1000 rounds before I did mine.

I always feel itís best to work in the parts before making a change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Instagram
Muzzleblast_MD
Old 03-05-2020, 06:57 AM
Gus1957

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree to break in gun before swapping parts. Wish I had waited. I had to take my Volquartsen parts out of S&W Victory 22 and put factory back in before sending t back for warranty work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2020, 07:35 AM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I always put the parts in as soon as I got them. Which has always been approx. 100 rounds after I bought the pistol just because I never ordered the parts till I already had the pistol. Shoot it to make sure everything is working and accuracy is good. Then put the parts in and never look back.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:51 AM
Cowpokey
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
Shoot it to make sure everything is working and accuracy is good. Then put the parts in and never look back.
/\ Perfectly stated /\
Old 03-05-2020, 09:07 AM
AzShooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I too find it best to shoot a few hundred rounds out of a new gun before doing any work on it. After you get a feel for it go ahead and start replacing parts. Your best investment on a Ruger is the Volquartsen Accurizing Kit.

I would run 500 rounds of Mini Mags or equivalent after replacing the internals just to make sure.

I now have well over 65000 rounds through my Mark IV with Volquartsen internals and their LLV 6 barrel. My stock Mark IV 22/45 lite has about 30K rounds with only the VQ internals and optics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mark IVS togethe 2r.jpg (424.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 03-05-2020, 09:32 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomto View Post
HELLO Tomto and Welcome to the RFC MkIV Forum!

Congrats on your MkIV Target...Great Choice! All the above advice is great (shoot 100 to 500 rounds 1st, then drop in the VQ kit)! I'd have done the same with my new Hunter and 22/45 Lite, except...10 weeks of light duty (due to retina tear surgery repair) made me too ANSI, had to do something.

So, acquired my action VQ parts and TK triggers and installed before a shot was fired. Thus, I just, "Did It Now", as I had Plenty of slack time that was making me bored (and crazy)!! Otherwise, I would have followed members advice to shoot first, then play in the shop later!!

Ted
Old 03-05-2020, 10:06 AM
Tomto

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will take the new kid to the range at least a couple of times before changing some internals.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:12 AM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In my opinion there is not such thing as break in, I do shoot a new gun to prove that it works and is accurate before doing any modifications to it. This way if it needs to go back to the mfg on warranty you don't have to replace the parts or lose them when the factory does their thing. The guns I've bought either worked or they didn't. No amount of "break in" repaired any of them.
You do need to shoot the gun to determine whether it's ready for mods or needs repairs. I repair or return for repair about half the new handguns I buy. I bat a little better on rifles. The rifles usually work.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:44 PM
rockyriver
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
I always put the parts in as soon as I got them. Which has always been approx. 100 rounds after I bought the pistol just because I never ordered the parts till I already had the pistol. Shoot it to make sure everything is working and accuracy is good. Then put the parts in and never look back.

^^^this^^^
Old 03-05-2020, 07:00 PM
bigd8365

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shot about 300 rounds and after I realized how heavy the trigger was I couldn't get home fast enough to order the VQ kit and soon I received it, I put it in and haven't looked back.

Good luck with your purchase and remember aim small miss small.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:56 PM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Always, always fire a new gun enough to assure yourself it works properly in "out-of-the-box" form before making any modifications. If there is a significant defect find out before you put the time and effort into installing new internals, sights, etc. only to have to remove them before sending the gun back to the manufacturer.

If nothing else, it will show you how the OEM parts felt and you can better appreciate what the replacement did.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:14 PM
edlmann

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22/45 Fan View Post
Always, always fire a new gun enough to assure yourself it works properly in "out-of-the-box" form before making any modifications. If there is a significant defect find out before you put the time and effort into installing new internals, sights, etc. only to have to remove them before sending the gun back to the manufacturer.
If nothing else, it will show you how the OEM parts felt and you can better appreciate what the replacement did.
Give yourself a break and use a quality .22 ammo like CCI MiniMags for the breakin. Why ask for trouble?
Old 03-08-2020, 12:50 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
For the trigger? There is no reason to break in anything there unless you just want to shoot it with the factory trigger. You are essentially replacing everything that might get "Broken In" with totally new and "non-Broken in" parts. I shot like 30 shots before putting the VQ kit in mine and I had both on hand the same day I got it.

Now the only reason I could come up with were if for some reason the trigger kit caused some malfunction, and if so you would at least have a control group for comparison. I.E. - light strikes due to a VQ kit which has definitely happened in the past.

But beyond that, as I said, the stuff you are breaking in is about to be completely replaced. Its almost like buying two pairs of shoes and breaking in the first pair so the 2nd pair will be good to go when you switch over. Slide, springs, barrel, etc. will break in on their own totally separate from the entire trigger group that you are replacing.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:56 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
Give yourself a break and use a quality .22 ammo like CCI MiniMags for the breakin. Why ask for trouble?
Break the thing in with any high velocity bulk. Aside from being a reliable round, the big part of using mini mags to break in a new MK series is to have something with some punch behind it to break in the recoil spring. Golden turds will get that done. Well, 81% of the time. The other 19% will go pop puff poop, but a cheap 500rd box of 1250fps hi-vel will do the same thing and cost a lot less. Not saying its not a good idea by any means, just that its not a necessity. You can break it in for less if it helped a person out financially.