Old 03-05-2020, 05:53 AM
Discontinued
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you could only have 1 (more) gun.

Now this question gets asked a lot all over the place,

But this time its actually true.

In the UK as you most probably know we have some very illogical gun laws, and as a result I can only have one more gun without serious bureaucracy, paper work and the gnashing of teeth..to put it simply its too much of a pain in the arse!

I have the space on my "ticket" FAC for one more rifle and I'm in a real quandary.

I already have a 10/22, CZ 455 American and an Anschutz 54 it would be cool to have something different.

So I'm stuck, I really should fill up the empty slot before my renewal and just cant think of what to get?

My current club range only permits .22lr only no magnums allowed

So it'll be a .22lr or .22 short?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Its a hard life having to buy a new toy.....1st world problems

Old 03-05-2020, 06:05 AM
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You already have the two best bolt action 22's made. Maybe try an auto like a Ruger 10/22 just to be different. That is if the law allows it. I'm sorry I didn't read too well, I see you already have a 10/22. Maybe look for a prewar 22 in good shape. They made some excellent rifles prewar, most better than todays. I acquired a Mossberg model 43 made in 37-38. Put a 4X scope on it and shot 5/16 hole at 25yds with 7 shots. I am looking forward to putting a higher power scope on it and see what it will do at 50yds.

Last edited by OldDave; 03-05-2020 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:14 AM
Rat458
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
You need to get you a nice lever action.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2020, 06:24 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
You already have the two best bolt action 22's made. Maybe try an auto like a Ruger 10/22 just to be different. That is if the law allows it.
Thanks for the replies,

I probably should have made it clearer i already have a Ruger, sorry for the confusion

Yes they do allow semi auto, or pump action in any of the .22 Rimfire calibers and Shotguns are also allowed in semi here too, even a slug semi shotguns allowed. as are silencers. But no Centrefire semi auto rifles, or Pistola's.

However, lever actions are allowed in all calibers duh!

There was even a huge panic as one over zealous constabulary interpreted the law and decided that all .177 Steyr rapid fire Olympic air pistols where deemed to be illegal because they where not in .22 caliber!

The police "inspected" Steyr UK and seized all LP50's Until the law was "clarified"

As if a 2,000 3ft pound air pistol is a criminals gun bwhahahaha

Oddly enough in the UK the Police are some of the biggest Anti's going, I imagine its very different in your country.

https://www.guntradenews.com/comment...ght-for-steyr/

Stupid laws ehh?

Last edited by Discontinued; 03-05-2020 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:57 AM
RichJ

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
As you already have a 10-22 Id get a straight pull either an Anshutz, Browning T bolt or Izmash Biathlon.
I lust after the Anschutz, sadly its above my pay grade
My 2 cents

Rich
Old 03-05-2020, 07:12 AM
Rhody
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat458 View Post
You need to get you a nice lever action.
I was going to suggest this as well.

Not a "target" rifle by a long shot (see what I did there? ),however, if outdoor shooting is allowed, the are great plinkers, and they look really cool! A Henry rifle would be a lot of fun!

R
Old 03-05-2020, 07:31 AM
Bullet Bob
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I'd go back to the future and get a nice BSA Martini, which I understand are much cheaper, and easier to come by in the UK than in the USA.

Wonderful rifles.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:52 AM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Bob View Post
I'd go back to the future and get a nice BSA Martini, which I understand are much cheaper, and easier to come by in the UK than in the USA.

Wonderful rifles.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:07 AM
rosscoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Cooper
Old 03-05-2020, 08:10 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Id get a nice Belgian Browning SA
Old 03-05-2020, 08:14 AM
W8LON

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stevens 417 Walnut Hill
Old 03-05-2020, 08:22 AM
rockdrill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post
Now this question gets asked a lot all over the place,
But this time its actually true.
In the UK as you most probably know we have some very illogical gun laws, and as a result I can only have one more gun without serious bureaucracy, paper work and the gnashing of teeth..to put it simply its too much of a pain in the arse!
I have the space on my "ticket" FAC for one more rifle and I'm in a real quandary.
I already have a 10/22, CZ 455 American and an Anschutz 54 it would be cool to have something different.
So I'm stuck, I really should fill up the empty slot before my renewal and just cant think of what to get?
My current club range only permits .22lr only no magnums allowed
So it'll be a .22lr or .22 short?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Its a hard life having to buy a new toy.....1st world problems
What about an Alfa-Proj revolver carbine in .22LR or alternatively why don't you do a one for one variation and change the rifle slot for a long barrel pistol if you fancy something different.

Or join another club where you can use larger calibres and open up a whole new avenue of toys.

As a UK gun owner myself, whilst our legislation is stricter than some, if you know how it operates it is quite straightforward to work with to legitimately justify the good reason for a number of firearms for target shooting.

Even the paperwork isn't that difficult with the new simpler forms, in fact its a good sight easier and quicker than the old Form 101 that had to be filled in for grant/renewals and variations.

Last edited by rockdrill; 03-05-2020 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:32 AM
GTS225
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
But no Centrefire semi auto rifles, or Pistola's.
Please clarify; Are you saying no handguns whatsoever, or can you have revolvers, but not semi-auto handguns?

Quote:
Stupid laws ehh?
I agree, especially in light of history, where there wasn't enough weapons to defend the U.K during WW2, and many U.S. citizens volunteered firearms for the English populace in order to protect against a Nazi invasion.

Just my 2-pence.....Roger
Old 03-05-2020, 08:49 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For hunting or paper.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:55 AM
rockdrill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS225 View Post
Please clarify; Are you saying no handguns whatsoever, or can you have revolvers, but not semi-auto handguns?
Okay hopefully this will help to clarify.

Following a spree shooting in 1988 which prominently involved the use of a semi auto civilian version of an AK47, the private ownership of semi-automatic and pump action centre fire rifles was prohibited.

At this time semi-auto and pump action rimfire rifles and semi auto and pump action shotguns were not affected by prohibition.

Moving forward to 1997 a further spree shooting incident at a primary school involving the use of 9mm semi-auto pistols and a .357 Mag revolver led to further prohibitions.

As there was no legal definition of what comprised a 'handgun' a prohibition was brought into law that outlawed the private ownership of 'Short Firearms' i.e. cartridge firing firearms that had a barrel length of less than 12 inches (300mm) and an overall length of 24 inches (600mm).

This did not affect muzzle loading firearms.

So we were left with manually repeating rifles - bolt action / straight pull / lever action / revolving carbine / single shot in both rifle cartridges and pistol calibre cartridges and .22 in semi-auto and pump action.

Subsequent developments led to the building of cartridge revolvers and semi-auto .22LR pistols that met the above mentioned size requirements - see pictures in my earlier post.

We are not permitted semi-auto centrefire rifles or pistols.

Last edited by rockdrill; 03-05-2020 at 09:16 AM.