Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-03-2020, 12:53 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosam View Post
So many answers for someone who has shot ara one season. Kyle you can use whatever target you feel like using to shoot practice and compare them it's not hard. It wont bite you in any way shooting a different target center is center regardless of the target.
Thanks for your thoughts TurboSam

How many years does someone need to shoot ARA, before they can give an Opinion on a Forum?

I also started out shooting NRA style Targets and gave my personal thoughts to someone who seems also to be a relatively new shooter like myself.

Is practicing with the Target you will be using in Competition better than practicing on a completely different Target? Doesnít seem that there is an argument to be had here....but, itís a Forum, so....
Old 03-03-2020, 01:49 PM
Cattleman30
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Killough has the double sided targets (Unlimited and Factory) for the same price. $20/100.

Kyle makes a good case for shooting the same target.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:46 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattleman30 View Post
Killough has the double sided targets (Unlimited and Factory) for the same price. $20/100.

That is true shooting the target you will be shooting in competition can help. however IME if you learn to read your sighters you can shoot any target.

IMO trust what you see when you shoot sighters, learn the hold with them that is why you shoot them. so target design in itself is not important. your confidence level will go up if you can call the hold on any target you shoot.
it is a mental block, don't let it get in your head. as I said trust the sighter

Lee
Old 03-05-2020, 07:15 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
That is true shooting the target you will be shooting in competition can help. however IME if you learn to read your sighters you can shoot any target.

IMO trust what you see when you shoot sighters, learn the hold with them that is why you shoot them. so target design in itself is not important. your confidence level will go up if you can call the hold on any target you shoot.
it is a mental block, don't let it get in your head. as I said trust the sighter

Lee
This has been my experience also. I typically print my own homemade targets consisting of 25 single circles of about .20" diameter that I shoot at my home range and in warm ups before a match. Never had an issue switching to another target for competition. But that's my own experience of course....yours may differ.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:34 PM
Turbosam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattleman30 View Post

Lee
Target doesnt matter as I practice on anything I can especially ir50 and psl targets great for training and can be compared very easily. Maybe I'm just that one idiot that doesnt care what the target is center is center to me. Its definitely not detrimental at all as Kyle is making sound, yes it is good to shoot on the target you plan to shoot but is it imperative? No not at all. Hit them in the middle and the rest of it is easy lol. Keepem in the center guys.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:16 AM
Ralph Spoilsport

TPC Rating: 
88% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosam View Post
Maybe I'm just that one idiot that doesnt care what the target is center is center to me. Hit them in the middle and the rest of it is easy lol. Keepem in the center guys.
I guess if someone only ever holds on the dot they could just shoot a page with nothing but dots on it, right?

I personally have never held on the dot and I've found that using the information that each different target gives you for holding off is important to squeeze out those thousands of an inch differences. Considering that many matches are won or lost on those thousands of an inch it's my experience that a shooter gives himself an advantage by knowing his match target as well as he can. (that even includes how to take advantage of the difference in sighters on each target).

If someone isn't planning on shooting sanctioned matches then this probably doesn't mean as much to them.