Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:27 AM
accurate22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
favorite HS auto

What is your favorite HS auto pistol? Considering looks, history, reliability ,accuracy, etc. Also has any one experimented with the match ammo. like Ely, Lapua. Rws. etc. for accuracy , compared to CCI std. vel.
Where is a good place to get a recoil spring for a HS Victor and a HD military.
Finally found a Victor came with original box
2mags,and an extra sight rail. Owner said it was his fathers and hasn't been fired in 30 yrs. in like new cond. but will replace spring just to be safe.

Last edited by accurate22; 03-04-2020 at 04:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-04-2020, 07:46 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So it appears you are new to Hi Std Target pistols. The best place for service and parts (and new clone guns) is Alan Aronstein. (interarmstx.com).

If you checkout this web page you will see that if these guns are abused then they MAY suffer a frame crack. The key to avoiding the crack is a new recoil spring every 10 to 15 thousand rounds and the use of only Standard Velocity ammo. The ammo that is the least expensive accurate reliable and readily available is CCI Standard Velocity. Any other match grade ammo that is 40 grain bullet at about 1080FPS will also do. Some of these match ammo's have an excessive amount of lube and that may cause feeding issues.

Magazines are an issue for these guns. The originals usually work fine but the Triple K after market magazines have soft lips and can loose tune easily. The mags Alan sells have hardened lips and come pre-adjusted for most pistols. This is key as the mag lips absolutely control the feed as the feed ramp is minuscule and does little to deliver the new cartridge to the center of the chamber. If the new cartridge misses the center and hits the edge anddeforms then the tight chamber will not allow cartridge to fully seat. The result can be failure to fire or jams.

Which model did you get: Trophy, Victor or ?
What series: 102 to SH?
Is it Hamden or East Hartford or Houston Texas made?

I think you will fall in love with these guns!

LDBennett
Old 03-04-2020, 08:43 AM
bbcap

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My infatuation lies with the Hammer Series guns. I think they are some of the most elegant guns High Standard made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2020, 03:12 PM
Ontarian50

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree that the back end of the hammer guns is very neat and tidy. I'm intrigued that the hammer guns were so short lived, and that the design of the G-380 was seen as a way forward to making interchangeable barrel .22s.

However, my vote for a classic High Standard has me torn. I either like the look of the Military Grip gun with the 7 1/4" fluted barrel, or the slant grip gun with the 6 3/4" space gun barrel (with both weights mounted, of course)!
Old 03-04-2020, 03:47 PM
SGVictor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontarian50 View Post
I agree that the back end of the hammer guns is very neat and tidy. I'm intrigued that the hammer guns were so short lived, and that the design of the G-380 was seen as a way forward to making interchangeable barrel .22s.

However, my vote for a classic High Standard has me torn. I either like the look of the Military Grip gun with the 7 1/4" fluted barrel, or the slant grip gun with the 6 3/4" space gun barrel (with both weights mounted, of course)!
The interchangeable barrel guns were begun during the War. They made numerous prototypes in several calibers - 9mm, .380 ACP, .38 Special, .32 S&W, .25 ACP. An OSS contract for what was designated the P .380 a Silenced .380 ACP. The contract was cancelled after High Standard had manufactured the necessary tooling and been paid for this tooling. I am uncertain how many prototypes were delivered. My speculation is that with the cancellation of the order and the end of the war, High Standard was directed to scrap the materials, and tooling. I further speculate that High Standard bought this material and tooling at the then prevailing scrap metal prices. This allowed High Standard to introduce a new model for trivial costs.
Thus the Model P .380 evolved into the G .380. with first deliveries in September 1947. The actual predecessors of the lever takedown production model was three or four Model P .22 Prototypes. These were really fine looking pistols. At least one was sold in the Harry Sefreid II estate auction by Bonhams with the provenance that Harry got it for George Wilson Sr.

The hammer guns were made for ten years - early 1941 through late 1950 and a small lot for the CIA in the 1950's and some Model H-D Militarys in 1956. The Model H-D Military had the third largest number of pistols produced . Thus the duration of production exceeded many other other models and design series.

Last edited by SGVictor; 03-04-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:17 PM
Kona Dave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Skype™ to Kona Dave
While I really like my 107 Trophy, I think I prefer the slant grip models. I don't own one, yet. I will someday.

I know this is not included in the OP but I really like my High Sierra revolver. I love shooting it as much as my Trophy and my Tournament.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:26 PM
accurate22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine is a Hamden, Con. Victor with a 5.5 inch barrel. I've have S&W mod. 41 for 10 yrs. Plus a couple of Riesing Auto Pistols. My other HS. is an HD Military. I only shoot CCI std. vel. in my older pistols. and target models. Just had the Victor out and it is as accurate as my S&W 41.

Last edited by accurate22; 03-04-2020 at 04:31 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 03-04-2020, 04:29 PM
accurate22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree on the hammer models, my HD Military is a blast to shoot. and the groups it shoots even amazes me. The model 18 S&W comes in a close second in the fun factor.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:34 PM
Litetrigger

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I like all of the slant grip models. They seem to point in a natural hold.
Old 03-04-2020, 06:27 PM
Jolson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All of them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0216201323_1583368026993.jpg (405.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-04-2020, 06:32 PM
Dcarey51

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My favorite is whichever one is in my hands at the time! Every one is a sweet shooter in its own right!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0991.jpg (475.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0007.jpg (232.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0844.jpg (488.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0843.jpg (384.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-04-2020, 07:12 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love the HD military but the HB is the greatest little "kit gun". I like the hammer because I shoot the pistol left handed. I found a magazine from a Ruger that I fitted to work in both the D and B. It sticks out of the B a little but works fine.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:30 PM
spaceguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 102 10" Citation. All original. Nice to look at, but heavy to shoot. I still love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4368 (3).jpg (497.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 03-05-2020, 12:40 AM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I like 107 tournament
Old 03-05-2020, 05:50 AM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by accurate22 View Post
What is your favorite HS auto pistol? Considering looks, history, reliability ,accuracy, etc. Also has any one experimented with the match ammo. like Ely, Lapua. Rws. etc. for accuracy , compared to CCI std. vel.
Where is a good place to get a recoil spring for a HS Victor and a HD military.
Finally found a Victor came with original box
2mags,and an extra sight rail. Owner said it was his fathers and hasn't been fired in 30 yrs. in like new cond. but will replace spring just to be safe.
So, please SHOW it to us! I should talk, I STILL have not figured how to post pics...I'm computer challenged For a favorite, it HAS to be my ML series 107 Citation with the fluted barrel. It just LOOKS good and shoots good as well. Bought it brand new way back when. Many, many thousands of rounds through it (and yes, Mr. Bennett--I HAVE replaced the recoil spring!). and it does show it just a bit... I do thoroughly enjoy shooting it, always garners attention while at the range. Most folks don't even know what it is