LINUX - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:32 AM
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

What wifi device was it?
Old 06-25-2019, 07:31 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does the current LINUX user interface look like some version of windows frozen in the past?
Old 06-25-2019, 05:46 PM
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There isn't just one linux user interface that I know of, they are called DE's- desktop environments and different distributions have different DE's. Some of them look like old Windows desktops in order to be friendly with old computers that cant handle some of the newer DE's

I gave up on Windows when I bought a laptop with Win8, been using Linux Mint or Ubuntu ever since with the Cinnamon desktop
Old 06-29-2019, 07:58 PM
toppkatt

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Soon after I wrote my last reply I found and installed the driver I needed for my WiFi card. Everything has been working swimmingly for awhile now (almost 2 months). Thanks everyone for all your help and encouragement!
Old 06-29-2019, 10:16 PM
Zorba
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm seriously thinking of switching back to Linux after about 20 years of running Macintoshes. I'm tired of Apple's stupid OS releases breaking EVERYTHING - especially since there's no real difference between them, just increasingly brain dead decontented ancillary software.

Both M$ and Apple are catering to the "device" crowd (read: Smartphones) and paying little attention to those of us who actually want to *use* our computers. The whole world doesn't revolve around content consumption and idiot "social media", some of us have actual work to do!
Old 06-30-2019, 09:15 AM
toppkatt

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
What's 'social media'?
Old 06-30-2019, 06:07 PM
Zorba

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You DON'T want to know...
Old 07-01-2019, 01:38 PM
RJF22553
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll be monitoring this thread for quite a while.

Have used Windows almost all my life (aside from CP/M on my Osborne-I luggable).

I have a gazillion older computers hanging around with DOS 3.1+ that are perfectly working. Also have a few XP machines (including laptops). Would like to get some of them operational to Linux, if for no other reason than basic internet and interoperability on my home LAN. I won't connect my XP machines to my LAN right now for security concerns.

Have enough Win-7 machines with MS Office to keep me current, and have toyed with a few non-windows "office" products that were less then stellar. Not sure I want to make the leap to Win-10.

I love Win7 (and XP), but recognize there are security challenges. I've been playing-off a LINUX solution for a few years, but am interested in making the leap on some of my older machines: mostly RAM <1GB. Not looking for anything very special, but would like my Dell Inspiron 700m laptop (512MB RAM) to run it smoothly for basic internet (Firefox) and, perhaps, enough word-processing to save in a file my Win7 machines can edit with MS Office.

Am fully retired, so serious interoperability with standard Army systems isn't a consideration. Also have several machines at 256K RAM that I would like to make operational. And...my very old Toshiba 3100e laptop that accompanied me to Desert Storm (orange gas-plasma display with Win 3.0) that I'd like to integrate. It has one ISA slot that might work with a LAN card... Mostly memoirs and such...

Depending on the success of a transition, I might consider expanding to the rest of my home LAN (wife's computer and workshop computer).

So keep at it, folks...I'll be watching...

Last edited by RJF22553; 07-01-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:08 PM
toppkatt

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Well I'm no expert, but I really like the LINUX Mint version I loaded onto my new laptop (HP with AMD processor). Since installing LINUX I haven't rebooted into Windows. I also RARELY have to reboot it. It just seems to keep going and going and going, like the Energizer bunny. :-)
Good luck, my understanding is LINUX is the OS to use if you are wanting to use older machines with less memory.

Last edited by toppkatt; 07-02-2019 at 06:07 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:48 PM
Zorba

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJF22553 View Post
...(aside from CP/M on my Osborne-I luggable)...
Ah! Somebody else from the days of Iron men and Wooden computers! I tell people all the time who keep wanting me to get a smartphone that the Osborne was the last computer I used with a screen that small, and I'm not interested in going back! There were a couple of others, an HP with about the same size screen, and some kind of luggable CP/M beast with a 9 inch.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:03 AM
gastooon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have linux too and it works better than windows sometimes. I want to create pnline business and few online stores. So I am looking for different information about web dveloping and read article about outsourcing on https://spdload.com/blog/how-to-outs...b-development/ and want to use outsourcing for my future projects

Last edited by gastooon; 03-06-2020 at 01:27 AM.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:58 PM
toppkatt

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Well, I had a bit of a problem after my last update. I can not get Firefox to work. Even using a cable to connect direct I could not get onto the net. When booted into the Windows 10 environment it worked fine even with the WiFi connecting, which tells me my hardware is okay. Now I just have to find out what went wrong with Firefox. Anyone having any problems? I MIGHT have to resort to reinstalling Linux Mint and risk losing some of my settings and fonts I downloaded. :-(
Maybe not. I'll try reinstalling Firefox first via the terminal.
Any help?
Old 03-10-2020, 04:17 PM
marvin02

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have run Linux off and on. Linux Mint appears to be the easiest to transition to from Windows.

Bruno's All Things Linux sub-forum at the Scot's Newsletter forum is a great place for general Linux knowledge and good people.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:22 AM
Zorba

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty222 View Post
Microsoft wants you to run your PC like I-phone or tablet.
And Apple is even worse, decontenting and dumbing down software that used to be useful. I'm switching back to Linux "next time", and am in the process of of migrating away from Apple's infrastructure - I'm tired of having the rug pulled out from under me (iPhoto to Photos for one), their refusal to fix bugs, and yea: Trying to turn my expensive computer into a crippled "device" - both Apple and Microsoft.

I retired from an IT job, and tell people that I have the same agreement with Apple that I do with Microsoft: They keep doing stupid stuff and I keep cussing at them!

I ran Red Hat and Gentoo back in the day, have a laptop with Ubuntu on it right now, but keep hearing good things about Mint.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:21 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Last month I downloaded the latest version of Linux Mint onto an older Gateway laptop my daughter outgrew. The installation was pretty easy and has breathed life into an older piece of gear. The Mint OS is snappy and lean compared to the abilities of the hardware, boots quickly, and serves well on a machine that is essentially an internet device. My work and other hobbies require that I run Word and Photoshop/Lightroom, so my desktop machine runs Windows 7, with a switch to Windows 10 at some point soon.

Mint does not require that you know Linux well, and comes with shareware for pretty much anything you want to do. It sussed out the drivers needed on my "new" Gateway, found my WiFi, and got me online pretty painlessly.

It's a no brainier for me. I like it so well I am considering a donation to the group responsible for it's coding and maintenance.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk