Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-04-2020, 12:30 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)

Most .22 handguns are going to be under $500. I personally like my Buckmark and it is very accurate. IMO it really comes down to only 3. The Buckmark, Ruger MK, and S&W Victory. I'm sure there will be plenty who disagree with this and there's probably one or two I'm not thinking of.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:43 PM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a new Ruger Mark IV standard recently for $329. Added a volquartsen trigger for $120 and a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot for $50. Ended up right at $500. Gun shoots lights out at 100 yards. Super fun.

I also have a Single Six convertible, which is great fun for plinking at shorter distances, but if great accuracy is a priority, the Ruger Mark is the way to go.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:12 AM
mushka
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Last Sunday I shot a Ruger Wrangler and found it to be accurate, comfortable to hold. The grip was like a colt revolver, not like my single six's wider and thick grip. Nothing wrong with it I could see. Less than two bills. If you want a revolver this is worth looking at.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:09 PM
AIRGUNSHAWN
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just sold both of my Ruger rifles but, you would do well with a Ruger pistol. I would suggest that you get a Mk IV though. My MkIII is very tight and a pain to take apart. It is however a point and shoot gun, easy to shoot well and it can be scoped. The Mk IV is super simple. My Uncle has a single six and it seems to be of good quality too. Buy them both....
Old 03-05-2020, 06:14 PM
Clayburn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK, I own a Ruger 22/45, Victory, Buckmark and S&W A22. On the Victory I put a Red dot with a Volquarsen barrel, Real fun to shoot. THe Ruger is a Mark 2 22?45 so it can be a pain to clean, but also fun, THe Buckmark, I can post a full story on it, but it has a Tandemkoss trigger, maybe 2 1/2 LB pull and is REAL sweet, BUT I have to tighten the top screws after 100 rounds. Done every thing to try and fix. For accuracy, and maybe because I've owned it the longest, is the A22, off hand at 10 yards I can peg a 2 inch hole all day. I like them all, just depends. Overall I'd take the Victory first, then the Buckmark because of the trigger. The A22 is really showing some age, the Ruger, well I'm hanging onto just because, I got it for $200, and in my book was a steal.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:17 PM
gkelley

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger SR22. Lightweight, accurate, fun to shoot. Ladies love them too. $360 for 3.5" and $375 for 4.5" version. Many color variations. Tons of raving reviews. Got mine a while back and love it. Had a Buckmark but was too darned heavy. Very reliable, many use it for concealed carry using Velocitors.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:18 PM
Clayburn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Bikerr View Post
The Ruger 22/45 MKIII I have works as well as a guy could hope for. Rarely jams ( and only if I haven't cleaned it for a while, like 1000 rds) way more accurate than I am and eats anything I feed it. I am very happy with mine.

I use it primarily for taking the dogs for a run. They tear up the 'possums, bunnies and racoons, but don't kill 'em. So I have to put 'em out their misery.

The gun is a PITA to detail strip, though. You tube is your friend.
Agree on hte cleaning issue. You can run 1000 rounds thru it before having to clean, so long as the ammo is not real crappy.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:22 PM
Dave R.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The S&W M&P rimfire is actually a nice package, with a decent trigger.

Polymer frame so it will be lighter than a traditional Ruger MK or Buckmark.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:26 PM
clr8ter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a MKIV. Very nice gun, heavy. Seems to work as it should, though I have not shot it much. I bought it as a host for a Dead Air MASK, and I will tell you that is an awesome combination for sure! VERY quiet.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:32 PM
huntingskeetman
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I have both a S&W Victory and a Ruger MKIV and they’re both nice guns, both mine however have been fully customized. They are equally accurate. Your choice depends on what you expect out of the gun. If you want target accuracy then opt for the Victory or a target version of the Ruger MKIV, if you want a plinker then there are lots of good plinker out there both revolver or semi-auto like the Single Six, Glock 44, Taurus TX-22.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:42 PM
ms6852
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I vote Browning Buckmark, it is reliable, accurate, and easy to work on and modify if you choose to.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:45 PM
Momo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OP, I own only one of the several guns many have mentioned here: a Ruger MKIV, in the 22/45 Lite variation.

I simply love it. I target shoot with the boys and do plenty of plinking on my own, and it is fun, fun. I did a Volquartsen trigger and have it paired with a suppressor, and whenever I go to a church shoot or the range, my friends always want a go with it.

I noticed your original post mentioned plinking and not competition, so I figured my 2 cents might be worth it.

Happy hunting.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2020, 08:03 PM
HenryGold

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I owned a Browning Buckmark for years. Fine gun but hated to clean it. Ended up trading for a Ruger MK IV Target and then picked up the Competition model. Both very accurate. Topped with a rail and a Sig Romeo 5 and Apex triggers and ejectors. Eats anything and shoots better than I can hold. Take down and cleaning is quick and easy. Try one during your search for the “grail.”
Old 03-05-2020, 08:08 PM
razorSharp5621

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My brother-in-law's Mark IV with red dot and suppressor got me back interested in firearms after quite a few years. One day last summer at a family gathering he brought it out and started shooting lily pads on the pond. What a HOOT!

I, of course, had to buy one . . . and I love it. I bought the "lite" version.

I had issues after I installed the Volquartzen "accurizer kit" because I did it myself with no gunsmith knowledge. Lucky I didn't wreck something but I did figure it out and the thing shoots great ever since. Just bought property this year so lots of opportunity I never get tired of my Mark IV. I've put at least two bricks worth of ammo through it.

Can't speak to a comparison of the others but you will enjoy the Mark IV.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:24 PM
tx_1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replies....Well, I'm leaning towards a Ruger Mark IV now.