Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-31-2020, 07:11 PM
CZJedi
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Question Ultimate Build barrel & receiver help

I'm planning on doing my first ultimate build. From what I've read, TacSol has the best receivers due to the two bar guide for their bolts. So, in terms of accuracy, would I be better off getting a TacSol receiver and bolt with a Kidd barrel, or a Kidd barrel action (assuming all other parts are the same)?
Old 01-31-2020, 08:27 PM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I myself like building off of the Tactical Innovations Elite22 receivers and Kidd barrels. I have had very good results. But any good receiver is going to work as long as you have a good tight barrel to receiver fit.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:02 PM
CZJedi

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Since barrel to receiver fit is key, would it be better to get a KIDD Supergrade barreled receiver, or should I get a TacSol (or other brand) receiver and a traditional Kidd barrel and have them threaded together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2020, 03:10 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
If your planning on using Kidd components you might as well just use a Kidd receiver. I've used most of the available receivers for the 10/22 and I haven't found any to be better than Kidd. I have had some that were worse. With the Kidd receiver you have the advantage of having the rear tang attachment. If you went with a new Kidd SG there would be no reason to have your barrel threaded into the receiver either. Plus if you ever decide to sell the rifle your going to get more for it if it is a full Kidd build as opposed to a frankenruger. The problem with having a barrel threaded into the receiver is if you ever want to change to a different barrel. So before having it threaded you want to make sure you have a barrel that shoots lights out consistently. Of course if it does shoot like that you may not want to have it threaded and risk losing any of that accuracy.

Last edited by Nick7274; 02-01-2020 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:34 PM
supersharp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If it was me I would go with a Kidd Super Grade Receiver with the interchangeable barrel system for a number of reasons .First off it has a longer barrel extension of 1 7/8" compared to the 3/4 " barrel extension .This makes for a much more rigid barrel to receiver connection .In the future if you want to change out barrels it is so simple just loosen 2 screws slide out your barrel and put in a different one tighten up the screws .Go from a heavy barrel to an ultralight in seconds .Lastly it makes cleaning your barrel and receiver a breeze .I can't say enough about the Super Grade Receiver. I also have a Kidd threaded receiver. The rifle is very accurate but I'm stuck with the one barrel. To me the Super Grade from Kidd with interchangeable barrel system is the best on the market.

Last edited by supersharp; 02-01-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:02 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
barrel to receiver fit doesn't account for much on a 10/22...good barrels and ammo are where it starts and ends
Old 02-03-2020, 06:03 AM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is very true. But you don't want a very accurate barrel that is real loose either. I sure don't.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:49 PM
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
barrel to receiver fit doesn't account for much on a 10/22...good barrels and ammo are where it starts and ends
What about floating the barrel? If it is a loose fit won't there be problems with droop?
Old 02-03-2020, 02:36 PM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
What about floating the barrel? If it is a loose fit won't there be problems with droop?
Probably, but if your using a Gunsmither's block you should be fine. Personally I would much prefer a tight fitting barrel though.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:49 PM
supersharp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
A great product for barrel droop would be the Gunsmither V block it has a set screw that will tighten up against the barrel to hold it up .I use one and it works very well.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:45 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Now that I have found a barrel with a shank that fits snuggly in my old oem receiver I cant blame my 'loose groups' on a 'loose barrel shank to receiver fit' anymore.
I was using a 'gunsmither' type block with the loose fit barrels, none now but I have a pressure pad in the forstock so no long overhang.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:48 PM
Zepher

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Question on match barrels for the Kidd Super Grade Receiver

Iím leaning towards a Kidd Super Grade Receiver and have two questions.

How do the Kidd barrels shoot for rimfire benchrest?

Is there anybody else offing match barrels for that particular receiver?

Thanks,

Zepher
Old 03-04-2020, 12:44 PM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
I’m leaning towards a Kidd Super Grade Receiver and have two questions.

How do the Kidd barrels shoot for rimfire benchrest?

Is there anybody else offing match barrels for that particular receiver?

Thanks,

Zepher
#1 They shoot great off the bench
#2 No
Old 03-05-2020, 06:21 PM
huntingskeetman
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Just because itís a Kidd doesnít make it the best despite what people tell you all the time. I just recently completed a new build using a CST receiver and took advantage of their rear tang hold down (standard feature that you can either use provided you put the rear pillar in your stock or removed via standard 10/22 mount to stock up front). I also use their competition bolt with auto hold open feature which is really nice. I was very fortunate to have come across Zeke06 (Chris) on this forum and he makes custom barrels from Green Mountain blanks to your specifications. He made me an 18Ē from a stainless blank which he then cerakoted to match my black receiver. So far this barrel shoots fabulous. I just had it outside today since the weather finally warmed up and shot it at both 50 and 100yds from a bipod front rest with bag rear. Shooting SK Rifle it shot .27Ē five shot group at 50 and .65Ē at 100yds.
Kidd guarantees 1/2Ē at 50 yds, mine shoots much better than that and I didnít pay as much for my barrel as I would have for a Kidd barrel. With 10/22 rifle builds it comes down to trial and error to find the best combinations, Iíve had several but for now am quite content with this newest build. Good luck on your build whatever you decide on.
3439D548-8C55-424E-A60D-1AB81A270BCB.jpeg
76839978-01EB-4323-9B8D-67C096BE3652.jpeg
Old 03-05-2020, 09:36 PM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kidd barrel in my honest opinion is a step up above GM by a tad. I got 5 Kidd barrels. All shoot about the same. All shoot SK Pistol Match very well. I like the 20" stainless bead blast barrels.