Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-04-2020, 11:32 AM
Taxidermst

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
FWIW on sharpening

The best sharpener I have used is made by Dexter and is diamond. Have found nothing better.
I treat my knives just as I do my chainsaws, keep them sharp always. I never let them get dull.
I have heated my home exclusively with wood since 1987 and have done taxidermy just as long. I also run a bear hunting business in Canada and have since 1998. Sharpness is needed in each, so a lot of things tried over the years. Dexter tops the list.
Having good steel matters a lot. Buck knives hold an edge the best (skinning bears).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200304-121958_Chrome_1583342997173.jpg (318.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-05-2020, 07:29 AM
StevieNH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had that same Dexter diamond steel for about 30 years. When it becomes clogged and effectiveness drops off, just wash it with dish detergent and it's good to go again.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:13 PM
000Robert
US Marines GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I want convex edges!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxidermst View Post
The best sharpener I have used is made by Dexter and is diamond. Have found nothing better.
I treat my knives just as I do my chainsaws, keep them sharp always. I never let them get dull.
I have heated my home exclusively with wood since 1987 and have done taxidermy just as long. I also run a bear hunting business in Canada and have since 1998. Sharpness is needed in each, so a lot of things tried over the years. Dexter tops the list.
Having good steel matters a lot. Buck knives hold an edge the best (skinning bears).
I have always loved my stones, but I am moving to the stronger convex edges. So I am going to give this Work Sharp Ken Onion Elite sharpener an honest try.

https://www.worksharptools.com/produ...e-sharpener-2/

I can't wait to give it a try when it gets here. Most experts that I have listened to say that the convex edge is much stronger than the common grinds. Plus, I can save a lot of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2020, 12:29 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Straight edges suit me fine. I'm using an Edge Pro, for the most part. Warthog for quick and dirty.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:04 PM
000Robert
US Marines GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePlinker View Post
Straight edges suit me fine. I'm using an Edge Pro, for the most part. Warthog for quick and dirty.
I have been using my Work Sharp for a couple of days now and I love it. I have a bad back and neck, so it helps me sharpen knives a lot faster. That saves me a lot of pain.
For flat grinding, I would prefer the Wicked Sharp. You will automatically keep the strokes even and not have to count them all the time. My main focus was to make sharpening easier on my back. And the convex edge also sounds like it would be stronger than the flat grind edge.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:50 PM
Drills

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been using the Ken Onion Work Sharp for several years. You can dial in the grind angle for specific blades depending on their intended use. Once you have re-contoured your knives to the convex grind, keeping them sharp is really fast and easy. A hint, write down the grind angle for each of your knives so you can dial in the same angle when touching up the edge.

Regards,
Drills
Old 03-12-2020, 01:34 PM
000Robert
US Marines GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drills View Post
I've been using the Ken Onion Work Sharp for several years. You can dial in the grind angle for specific blades depending on their intended use. Once you have re-contoured your knives to the convex grind, keeping them sharp is really fast and easy. A hint, write down the grind angle for each of your knives so you can dial in the same angle when touching up the edge.

Regards,
Drills
Thanks, Drills! I have been using the short center of the knife grinding attachment at 25 so far on some pocket knives and hunting knives with Chinese steel for practice. I bought a bunch of them awhile back when I thought about selling them at flee markets, but never did. I just give them away as gifts. This Work Sharp gets them to hair popp'in sharp!
I have not been using the regular sharpening cassette much because I have to put tape on the blades to keep them from getting scratched. But it does sharpen them very well! I prefer the control of the grinding attachment. I bought the cloth belt stropping set with honing compound also.
The only thing that I don't like about the knife grinding attachment is the hub fastener keeps unscrewing and flying off whenever I try to center the belt on the pulley wheels at medium to high speed. I have to adjust the belt to the left side of the pulley wheels for the hub fastener to keep from flying off. So I either leave the belt to the left side of the wheels or just leave the hub fastener off and not use it at all. It is useless and just a distraction anyway.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:33 PM
000Robert
US Marines GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I fixed the problem with the loosening hub fastener on my Work Sharp with the help of Kayla at Work Sharp. I just needed to tighten it down tighter. I was afraid that I might break something if I tightened it down too much, plus there is not much to hold on to. It's working great now!