Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:27 AM
Tejun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wooden Gun Cradle/Vise

Howdy Folks,

Thought I would share some info about a wooden gun vise I recently purchased. My search started when I came across a YouTube video from Brownells that featured a wooden gun vise called the Mountain Meadow Woodworks Gun Cradle. After a bit of searching, I found that they no longer sold that item. About a year later, after getting tired of the plastic Tipton Best Vise I had, I started looking for ideas on building my own and somehow came across this website; www.gunstands.com that makes a stand just like it. Rather than having to order one, I found a dealer here in Houston that had one in stock. It is far and above better than the plastic one I had
Old 02-14-2020, 09:59 AM
karls42

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
thanks for sharing
Old 02-16-2020, 11:46 AM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I went to the link and looked around. They make very nice stand and the prices were surprising. I expected them to be much more expensive. I would love to have the one made from Texas mesquite as I have a soft spot for the wood as it's the only naturally occurring tree/bush where I live.

I was in the process of getting around to building a stand from red oak several years ago when I ran across the Tipton vise at a good price and decided to go with it. It does an adequate job. I usually clamp it on top of a Black & Decker Workmate and found that didn't work so well as the base deformed. I glued in wooden reinforcements underneath using goop and cured the problem but I still have a desire for a wooden stand. I may still fulfill it and pass the Tipton down to my #1 grandson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2020, 08:18 PM
RGSIII

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It reminds me of an upscale version of a Decker vise that I have used for 35 or so years. That vise is about to give up its ghost and these look like a good replacement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 475775_340_cbc4f29ccfba4b49c6409609a8006be5.jpg (43.5 KB, 259 views)

Last edited by RGSIII; 02-16-2020 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:58 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
My father-in-law and I have been using one like the gunstand since the late 80`s. If I remember right I paid $35 A piece for them, they are in about as good shape now as when we got them
Old 02-17-2020, 11:39 AM
Tejun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
I went to the link and looked around. They make very nice stand and the prices were surprising. I expected them to be much more expensive. I would love to have the one made from Texas mesquite as I have a soft spot for the wood as it's the only naturally occurring tree/bush where I live.

I was in the process of getting around to building a stand from red oak several years ago when I ran across the Tipton vise at a good price and decided to go with it. It does an adequate job. I usually clamp it on top of a Black & Decker Workmate and found that didn't work so well as the base deformed. I glued in wooden reinforcements underneath using goop and cured the problem but I still have a desire for a wooden stand. I may still fulfill it and pass the Tipton down to my #1 grandson.
I studied the Tipton I have and believe I could do some re-inforcement and/or modifications and make it work better and may do that to have one a my lakehouse.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:21 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So without a doubt it's great looking, and the pricing considering all of the wood options is fantastic.

However it wouldn't work for me.

I need the AR piece of the Tipton.
I can adjust the length and front angle to fit all of my different rifles regardless of what dimensions my fore-stocks and butt stocks have.
I have so many different types of stocks that without those features, some of my guns would be tipped up at the muzzle.
And on some of them their fore-stocks would be sitting on some hardware that I don't want to remove.
And none of my bench-rest fore-stocks would fit. They are 3 inches wide.
I could go on, but I'm sure you get the picture.

Mine doesn't slip, but that may be because it's sitting on Lab Table that gives its rubber feet a lot of grip.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 02-17-2020 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:23 PM
ky-n

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is one I built several years ago, not for everyone but works for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rifle Workstation 5.JPG (255.9 KB, 206 views)
Old 02-17-2020, 06:39 PM
LeverGunFan
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice work.... I like that shallow tray to keep small parts from rolling off the table!
Old 02-21-2020, 01:19 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (244)
Looks familiar (pics below don't show the clamp as it would be in the way taking pics of the rifles, but it is essentially the same). Mine is in Red Oak and I've had it for many years, made by Mountain Meadow Enterprises in Priest River, ID. It gets A LOT of use and has held up really well. And I just think it has more class than those plastic versions.

Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3589.jpg (497.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3811.jpg (445.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-21-2020, 04:09 PM
Tejun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
Looks familiar (pics below don't show the clamp as it would be in the way taking pics of the rifles, but it is essentially the same). Mine is in Red Oak and I've had it for many years, made by Mountain Meadow Enterprises in Priest River, ID. It gets A LOT of use and has held up really well. And I just think it has more class than those plastic versions.

Doug
Yep, thats pretty much identical The MME version is what I initially saw on YouTube and began my search.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:42 AM
Bigdog357

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great, thanks guys now I found something else I have to buy

I really like my Tipton but I am a sucker for fine wood, I'm digging that Zebra wood model or the two tone Maple and Texas mesquite.

Thanks for posting the link, looks like they make some nice quality items at a reasonable price.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:59 PM
huntsman22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)