Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-05-2020, 03:39 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Angry Victor slide hold open spring

The price for those little springs is atrocious. Are the springs available from non sporting stores?
Thx
Old 02-05-2020, 04:04 PM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeJa View Post
The price for those little springs is atrocious. Are the springs available from non sporting stores?
Thx
Have you tried Wolff Gunsprings (OEM supplier)? They may have them... I know they are provided in their rebuild "kits" for HS, not sure if they are available separately. I would be surprised, though, if they are NOT. Google and give them a call.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:25 PM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Slide Stop Springs

They are 3.00 USD ??????????- Alan Aronstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2020, 05:03 PM
03man
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ever try to make a spring that small?
Now if you were complaining about shipping cost from many sellers, I'd agree 100%
Old 02-05-2020, 05:28 PM
Dcarey51

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wolff Springs $7.89/pack of five. Cheap in my world!
Old 02-05-2020, 05:47 PM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cheap Slide Stop Springs

Wolff has a cheap price for a NOT correctly made copy of the original OEM Spring. I would refer you to my comments and, SG Victor and his engineering references to that spring.
- Alan Aronstein
Old 02-05-2020, 06:33 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's the cost of shipping a low value item to Canada. Check the sites to see shipping fees.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:09 PM
Dcarey51

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Aronstein View Post
Wolff has a cheap price for a NOT correctly made copy of the original OEM Spring. I would refer you to my comments and, SG Victor and his engineering references to that spring.
- Alan Aronstein
Alan,
Where can I find those comments?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 02-06-2020, 07:42 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I seriously doubt that there are many High Standards out there without a kinked slide hold open latch spring. If not careful when putting the loose latch back in the gun under the grips then the spring gets kinked. It may still work but certainly not exactly as designed.

My suggestion is to carefully install the spring, the latch, and the right grip panel to avoid kinking the really tiny latch spring. Slapping the grip back on without care will probably kink the spring. Then buy at least a few of those springs incase, in a careless moment, you kink the spring. Buy the correct OEM ones as provided by Alan Aronstein. If you call Alan at Interarms TX maybe he can send a few in a padded letter envelope and you can avoid the very expensive shipping for such a small item. None of the other parts sources are small enough to do anything but send them in a giant bag or box. You can just ask. Or figure out what other stuff you need, like severa OEM recoil springs, several of the OEM plug for retaining the recoil spring in the slide and several of the recoil spring retaining plug pins. With a bigger purchase the shipping becomes a smaller part of each item. Those parts I mentioned are well worth keeping spares for as the recoil spring must be changed out every 10 to 15 thousand rounds and those tiny parts have a way of disappearing into the Ethers of the work area never to be found again.

I would also add that it is not necessary to changeout ALL the springs in these guns unless it is obvious that they may be wrong or broken. The KEY !!!! spring to change is the recoil spring in the slide, every 10 to 15 thousand rounds. Failure to do this and only shoot Standard Velocity ammo could lead to a cracked frame! Such failures from abuse for this gun are well documented!

LDBennett
Old 02-06-2020, 10:44 PM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Slide Stop Spring

I beleive that you can search for all of my and SGVictor comments about the slide stop spring under our names on this site. I am not sure how to do it !! I am sorry that I can't recall which thread that replied under. - Alan Aronstein
Old 02-07-2020, 02:30 AM
hamden

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The spring hole in the stop piece does not always line up perfectly with the indent for the spring in the frame. At full up position the spring might kink. Usually no big deal. I have seen only one time where the holes were too far out of alignment. I have reinserted many kinked springs and they fork fine. True the real springs have a fat end to make a friction fit keeping the spring in the stop piece. You can also secure the spring in it's hole with a small dab of grease. One time I salvaged a small spring from inside a small electric switch. It works fine and is still inside one of my HS.
And speaking of springs, I have hundreds of what I believe are NOS extractor springs, and same for what appear to be the shorter HD recoil springs.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:07 AM
Dcarey51

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Aronstein View Post
I beleive that you can search for all of my and SGVictor comments about the slide stop spring under our names on this site. I am not sure how to do it !! I am sorry that I can't recall which thread that replied under. - Alan Aronstein
I searched using all kinds of keywords...maybe if I search under your name...
Any idea of the time frame when you posted these comments?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 02-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Emme

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You can ask a watchmaker for a watch spring bar (sorry, I don't remember the correct bar diameter). Cut the bar and use the internal spring, after shortening it.
The cost, however, could be higher than the price asked by Wolff or Alan Aronstein for the already correct sized spring!
Old 02-07-2020, 05:12 PM
FuzzyVision

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcarey51 View Post
I searched using all kinds of keywords...maybe if I search under your name...
Any idea of the time frame when you posted these comments?

Thanks,
Dan
Please see SGVictor post #11 (and #15), as well as Alan's post #13 in the following thread:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1183377
Old 02-07-2020, 06:00 PM
Dcarey51

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Found it, Thanks! And, I'm part of that conversation!